PDA

View Full Version : 1988 TtiStar 190

Gordy1234
07-22-2011, 01:27 AM
Hello everyone! I just recently bought my first boat 1988 tri star. I was looking for a little help with a few question, since I am new to the mastercraft seen.

1. My step sister hit a rock with the 3 blade prop, and she will be buying me a new one. I have been doing some reading and think i want an ambush 4 blade 13X13 LH 1". Is this the correct prop pitch and diameter I do know that if my boat has a powerslot the dia and pitch will change; what i dont know is how to tell if it has a power slot.

2. Where can i find parts for this boat I need the support arm for the driver side windsheild the plastic part that mounts to the console is broken.

3. I have a strange water leak. If i leave the boat sitting in the water over night I will have about 2"-3" inches of water that need to be pumped out with the bilge. I dont get any water when the boat is driving only sitting parked It taken more than 10 hr to fill like this any suggestions on what need to be fixed?

Thank you for all your help sorry if this is posted in the wrong spot.

hardycm
07-22-2011, 08:01 AM
Regarding your water leak, check your shaft packing -- it should leak a little when running. Some leak while sitting as well. You could tighten it up a bit, but you don't want it too tight -- you'll burn it up. Do you have an automatic bilge pump? That would be my suggestion.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-22-2011, 08:16 AM
Hello everyone! I just recently bought my first boat 1988 tri star. I was looking for a little help with a few question, since I am new to the mastercraft seen.

1. My step sister hit a rock with the 3 blade prop, and she will be buying me a new one. I have been doing some reading and think i want an ambush 4 blade 13X13 LH 1". Is this the correct prop pitch and diameter I do know that if my boat has a powerslot the dia and pitch will change; what i dont know is how to tell if it has a power slot.

2. Where can i find parts for this boat I need the support arm for the driver side windsheild the plastic part that mounts to the console is broken.

3. I have a strange water leak. If i leave the boat sitting in the water over night I will have about 2"-3" inches of water that need to be pumped out with the bilge. I dont get any water when the boat is driving only sitting parked It taken more than 10 hr to fill like this any suggestions on what need to be fixed?

Thank you for all your help sorry if this is posted in the wrong spot.

welcome and post up some pictures, the transmission ratio is marked on the transmission tag, 4 blade 13X13 LH 1" is a good replacement for the 3-blade, thats what eric fron oj prop suggested for my tri-star.

Gordy1234
07-22-2011, 11:20 AM
New question is there two bilge pumps in most boats one for auto one for manual or is it just one with 2 settings ,because my manual switch works auto doesn't any ideas

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-22-2011, 12:56 PM
Mine has 1 pump with 2 switches, you can just replace the auto switch, or buy a new pump that has both modes built in...

Hawksinkalispell
07-23-2011, 12:16 PM
I've got a 1989 Tristar with a Velet drive (not Powerslot) tranny. I switched to a 4 blad 13" prop and while it's seems smoother I also seem to have lost some top end rpms. You can usually get your props repaired, which is cheaper. It is a good idea to get another prop for a back up as there are hidden things in the water and it sucks when your prop it toast. Ding one prop throw on the back up and you've only lost an hour. If you get a back up prop, you'll want to invest in a prop puller.

Sorry no idea where to get the plastic pieces, there was some guy parting out a Tristar on here, maybe he can hook you up. Let me know if you get a supplier.

Only one bilge pump, two switches for the same pump. You should have a float right next to you pump that activates your Auto pump. When you flip your auto switch, move the float switch in your bilge and listen if it kick on you are good if it doesn't you need to replace the float, you can buy those seperately. You definetly want to have the auto feature if you leave the boat in the water overnight.

Finally, hardymc has you on the right track. Sitting in the water overnight and getting water in the bilge is probably the shaft packing. Kind of a bugger to adjust becuase you should get a small drip when running, if it's too tight you'll wear you shaft down.

Enjoy you new boat.

pkskier
07-25-2011, 11:55 AM
In regards to your leak, I just recently had water leaking into my boat, "87 TriStar, that only leak with the boat just sitting no engine running. I traced it back to one of the mufflers, took the floor board up over the mufflers and back it into the water and there was a crack on top of one of them. Without the engine running water backs up into the mufflers. Bought a new one from skidim and replaced it myself, no problem easy to do.

wheelerd
07-26-2011, 02:19 AM
I used a 13 x 13 Ambush on my TriStar. Worked great. (I kept the stock prop as a backup.)
I had a water leak also. I just had to tighten one of the big gear clamps that secures the muffler to the pipe coming from the exhaust manifold.
The support arm for the windshield is a stock item at many of the larger boat supply places. I got one for mine from iBoats.com (I think.) They come in various lengths. Check also places like West Marine, OnlyInboards.com, etc.

damaged442
07-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Also in regards to the leak...check where the stern comes in contact with the water around the swim platform. Might be coming in there.

Hoosier Bob
07-26-2011, 09:34 PM
As I love Tristars I will not help you with your leak until I see pictures! Great boat, they all leak a little so keep the bilge on auto when moored. Mine even finds water in my garage.:confused:

Jonathan94
09-02-2011, 12:40 AM
Bit of a threadjack but still related in principle.....

What do you think of the boat so far and, for any other owner's of this or similiar boat, what are your opinions?

I have a friend considering the same and he has asked if I can dig up anything on this make/model/year. Any comments appreciated!

thanks

(http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=310260310)

gr82bgreen
09-02-2011, 02:37 PM
They are solid boats. Its a mastercraft!! Have him drive it and if he likes it thats great. I had a 89 Tristar and now have a 95 maristar. The maristar rides better and handles better. Its a v drive, so its hard to compare. The 1 thing I did not like about the Tristar was the spray that would come over the windsheild on a hard corner. otherwise no complaints.

ricford
09-02-2011, 03:23 PM
You say your "auto" postition doesn't work. I am assuming that you have tried lifting the float switch to test it? You said you were a newbie or I wouldn't even suggest it.