PDA

View Full Version : Bilge pump replacement

gatorguy
07-22-2011, 12:06 AM
I notice yesterday that my bilge pump is not working. I tried Auto and Manuel switch positions, but got nothing. I don't have a leak, but after a few house of the kids doing laps in and out of the water I have about 3-4 inches of water in the bilge.

So can I replace it with any ol' pump, or do I need to switch it for the exact one? The old one is yellow, and looks to have an external float switch. I saw an attwood at skidim for about $50. Will it work?

Thrall
07-22-2011, 12:09 AM
Doesn't have to be an exact replacement.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-22-2011, 12:11 AM
Doesn't have to be an exact replacement.

Ditto.....

gatorguy
07-22-2011, 12:13 AM
Thanks, any recommendations? Brand, Gal/hr, need for auto?

Thrall
07-22-2011, 03:07 AM
???, never had to replace one.
Keep the auto though. Good piece of mind there even if you don't wet slip the boat, it will tell you if something is leaking badly while your out on the water if you start seeing water peeing out the side of the boat (even though I never left the old boat on auto if I was in it, only if it was wet slipped overnight).

Wouter
07-22-2011, 07:01 AM
I notice yesterday that my bilge pump is not working. I tried Auto and Manuel switch positions, but got nothing. I don't have a leak, but after a few house of the kids doing laps in and out of the water I have about 3-4 inches of water in the bilge.

So can I replace it with any ol' pump, or do I need to switch it for the exact one? The old one is yellow, and looks to have an external float switch. I saw an attwood at skidim for about $50. Will it work?

Would take a look at the wiring first: if there are connections in the bilge, chances are they are corroded... (usually the wires from after market pumps don't run all the way to the dash in one go and somewhere along the line you have some kind of connection sitting in the water...) Also good to keep in mind if you do need to replace the pump...

gatorguy
07-22-2011, 03:52 PM
Just ordered this

BILGE PUMP ATTWOOD SAHARA
500 GPH, 4" Height, Built in float switch.

$43 delivered to my door.

I'll let you know how it works.

ttu
07-22-2011, 03:54 PM
my 07 has a rule 750. found it locally at academy sports.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-22-2011, 04:03 PM
Just ordered this

BILGE PUMP ATTWOOD SAHARA
500 GPH, 4" Height, Built in float switch.

$43 delivered to my door.

I'll let you know how it works.

Good price. Did you look at the S750?

gatorguy
07-22-2011, 04:08 PM
No, I found the cheapest thing I could. This little beauty happens to be from walmart. I figure if I need more than 500 gph I have my pump from my fat sacks, and also a hand pump for the tubes.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Sounds like a great deal and one I would have gone for.

Nvrgvup
07-23-2011, 02:24 PM
If you have the Johnson Pump like my 83' has the motor cartridge is replaceable. Bass Pro Shops carries the replacement motors for the 500 and 750 pumps. The motor pops out the top with a quarter turn. Super simple. Then just drop in a new motor cartridge and wire it in. No need to remove and remount a new unit. I would if you can sodder and double shrink tube the electrical connections or get some of those underground rated wire nuts available at most stores if you want to go the easy route.

gatorguy
07-27-2011, 09:51 AM
Well I installed my new pump and tested it yesterday. Works like a charm in both manual and auto. Took me a minute to figure out which wires to use since the old unit had 3 hot and one ground and the new only needed 2 hot and one ground.

I put in the plug and turned on the garden hose to test it and everything was great. My kids can now splash water in the boat with impunity.

kstumpenhorst
07-27-2011, 11:10 PM
How are you mounting that to the hull

gatorguy
07-28-2011, 02:45 AM
Short self tapping sheet metal screw. Went in like butter. I reused one hole, the other two were new.

gatorguy
07-28-2011, 02:49 AM
If you have the Johnson Pump like my 83' has the motor cartridge is replaceable. Bass Pro Shops carries the replacement motors for the 500 and 750 pumps. The motor pops out the top with a quarter turn. Super simple. Then just drop in a new motor cartridge and wire it in. No need to remove and remount a new unit. I would if you can sodder and double shrink tube the electrical connections or get some of those underground rated wire nuts available at most stores if you want to go the easy route.

Sounds like we had the same pump. I didn't really look for the old one, just something quick and cheap.