PDA

View Full Version : 1994 Maristar 200 Speakers

shay4au
07-21-2011, 10:55 AM
I've been looking at a 1994 Maristar 200 that has been totally re-worked. To my surprise, however, I learned that it did not have a radio / cd player or speakers. Looking at pictures of the boat, there's a place on the dash with flip down cover for the stereo head unit to go. My problem is that there are no speakers on the boat! Is this normal? I just can't see spending this kind of money on a Mastercraft that doesn't even have a way to play a radio. I wouldn't mind putting in the stereo, but I was wondering if anyone out there has ever had to add speakers, cut them in, etc.? Is this possible? I wouldn't want to buy a $16,000 MC boat and have to play a battery powered radio out on the water - not cool! Just wanted to make sure I could do this before looking further at the boat. If any of you have experienced this, I'd love to hear your input. Thanks!

Gofast
07-21-2011, 12:26 PM
OK, do a search for a thread I started called A few Upgrades. Probably easier to search by name and then choose Threads started option. ( Link attached if I did it right, if not search time )

I listed all kinds of upgrades I did to my 95 Maristar. It will be very similar to your boat.

The short answer is Yes, you can add speakers to this boat. I added a couple of 6X9 higher up in the seating area. If I had to do it again, I would not have added them. I get plenty of sound from the lower mounted speakers. I'm not even talking about the Tower speakers.

Pics of the boat your looking at would help. $16K seems high without a system in place.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=35382

ahhudgins
07-21-2011, 12:50 PM
I paid 16K for my 95 Maristar 200VRS several years ago and it had an AM/FM cassette in the dash and 4 cheap non-marine speakers installed below the seats: Two in the bow and two in the stern. Original owner went cheap. I had intended to put a new system in the boat (CD player) but never did. The radio is never turned on because my boat never sits in the water unless we are changing skiers. The rest of the time itís hauling down the lake. When we are at the dock we donít need a radio because my neighbor always has his blasting across the cove!:rolleyes:

Double D
07-21-2011, 12:55 PM
I've been looking at a 1994 Maristar 200 that has been totally re-worked. To my surprise, however, I learned that it did not have a radio / cd player or speakers. Looking at pictures of the boat, there's a place on the dash with flip down cover for the stereo head unit to go. My problem is that there are no speakers on the boat! Is this normal? I just can't see spending this kind of money on a Mastercraft that doesn't even have a way to play a radio. I wouldn't mind putting in the stereo, but I was wondering if anyone out there has ever had to add speakers, cut them in, etc.? Is this possible? I wouldn't want to buy a $16,000 MC boat and have to play a battery powered radio out on the water - not cool! Just wanted to make sure I could do this before looking further at the boat. If any of you have experienced this, I'd love to hear your input. Thanks!

In this economy, 16K sounds high for the whole boat, regardless of stereo situation... Just sayin'... :rolleyes:

mayo93prostar
07-21-2011, 01:03 PM
I put stereo and speakers in my 1993 prostar. the holes were already cut out in the wood on the side bolsters, just had to cut the vinyl and that was difficult mentally but came out good. try to feel around to see if yours has places already cut out.

ahhudgins
07-21-2011, 01:18 PM

I agree with DoubleD...16K is high for that boat. As I stated, I paid 16K for my 95 200VRS several years ago and it was in mint condition. People who see my boat think it's only a few years old because it's in such good shape. Does the 94 have the fiberglass "euro" platform? I hate mine. Also, a lot of the Maristar 200s will porpoise over 30 MPH when you have 3 or 4 people in the boat. What do you mean by "re-worked"? There are a lot more important (and expensive) things to be concerned about other than a stereo.

shay4au
07-21-2011, 05:08 PM
Well, the '94 has had the engine totally rebuilt. They have all the paperwork. Has a new steering cable, new starter, pumps, new carpet, seats have all been recovered and has a 2010 dual axle MC trailer. I agree that it's high. They actually want more than that! This is what I'm getting them down to. Rediculous!! The boat really does look showroom new, but I keep telling them that it's STILL a 17 year old boat. Not sure if I'll buy it or not. And it does have the fiberglass "euro" platform. I'm not crazy about that either! Love the teak wood. I told them I couldn't see paying that much for a Mastercraft and having to take along a battery powered radio so I could listen to tunes. Not too cool. Just thinking about it. Thanks for all the input!

dgaugler
07-22-2011, 12:56 PM
Doesn't seem like a crazy price at all. If you look at what it would cost you to perform those upgrades. You have to figure that boat has at least $6-9k invested in it. Installing a stereo is pretty easy and can be done relatively inexpensively if you choose.

I have a 96 200 VRS and it's a great boat somedays I do wish I had a larger swim platform but the fact that it is a true 20' boat and it fits in my grarage without any hving to remove a platform makes up for it. The porposing issue can be taken care of by properly distributing the weight on my boat and I normally don't experience it until 34-36 mph and I rarely go that fast.

ahhudgins
07-22-2011, 01:23 PM
Well, the '94 has had the engine totally rebuilt. They have all the paperwork. Has a new steering cable, new starter, pumps, new carpet, seats have all been recovered and has a 2010 dual axle MC trailer. I agree that it's high. They actually want more than that! This is what I'm getting them down to. Rediculous!! The boat really does look showroom new, but I keep telling them that it's STILL a 17 year old boat. Not sure if I'll buy it or not. And it does have the fiberglass "euro" platform. I'm not crazy about that either! Love the teak wood. I told them I couldn't see paying that much for a Mastercraft and having to take along a battery powered radio so I could listen to tunes. Not too cool. Just thinking about it. Thanks for all the input!

How many hours on the boat? Usually all that work means that the boat was neglected at some point, but it sounds like it is pretty clean now. I would still offer them less for a 1994 but the stereo won't be much of a bargaining tool. I like the new dual axle trailer, so that's a plus. The euro platform takes some getting used to after owning two larger teak platforms. To me the porpoising is a BIG issue, I ski over 30 MPH and I barefoot. With 4 or 5 people in the boat I can not correct the problem by moving people around, I had to glue a nylon wedge to the bottom of the transom until I fork out the $$$ for a trim plate. Post some pitures....everyone likes pictures.