PDA

View Full Version : Rubrail AND Channel removal/replacement

monsoon
07-21-2011, 09:01 AM
Who's taken their rubrail and mounting channel completely off their boat, and what was involved? I'm going to cover up the teal under the rubrail with chrome vinyl wrap and would like to make the wrap as "clean" as possible by letting the top edge of the vinyl disappear up under the rubrail channel. I'll take advantage of the process and replace with new rubber at reinstall. I'm imagining that the channel is screwed to the boat but have not checked yet to see if it is a wood/sheetmetal type screw or thru type nut/bolt assembly. Also, I don't know if there is any glue/epoxy involved between the rubrail channel and gelcoat.

Thanks,
monsoon

Jorski
07-21-2011, 10:06 AM
The rubrail itself just pulls out of the channel.

The channel is riveted in place. To remove the rivets select a drill bit just about the size of the pin in the rivet. They drill out very easily. There isn't any silicone or adhesive involved, unless it has been modified by somebody.

It's a very simple job, you shouldn't have any problems with it.

To re-install the channel, get a pop rivet gun...they are very inexpensive and easy to use. Then to install the rub rail insert, use a heat gun to soften up a few feet at a time. This will make it easy to compress the rub rail, so that you can fit it into the channel.

You can see the parts at Taco Marine...http://tacomarine.com/cat--Rigid-Rub-Rail-with-Flexible-Insert--Rigid_rubrail_flex_insert.html

Good luck.

monsoon
07-25-2011, 02:14 PM
I had read up on the rubber install but was unable to find anything on the channel removal/reinstall itself. I didn't even think of rivets! And I already have a top end pop rivet gun :)

Do you know what size and material rivet/spindle is used, and if it's a round or flush head? I can size one when I go to pull them, but sometimes its hard telling what the material is. I'm guessing (hoping) the rivet/spindle is 18-8/304 Stainless.

Thanks for the info!

milkmania
07-25-2011, 08:26 PM
I had read up on the rubber install but was unable to find anything on the channel removal/reinstall itself. I didn't even think of rivets! And I already have a top end pop rivet gun :)

Do you know what size and material rivet/spindle is used, and if it's a round or flush head? I can size one when I go to pull them, but sometimes its hard telling what the material is. I'm guessing (hoping) the rivet/spindle is 18-8/304 Stainless.

Thanks for the info!

my 91 PS190 has round head aluminum
:twocents:

scottchapin
08-03-2011, 08:52 PM
Hi
Did you get the chrome wrap on your boat. I've thought of that too. Can you share a picture?
Thanks

monsoon
08-05-2011, 12:56 PM
The refurb-ing won't happen till this fall, after our (southeast PA's) ski season is over. I'll take photos of the process. The chrome wrap will only cover/replace the teal. The black accent stripe and all white above and below the accent strip will be retained. Any lettering/logos that were in white on the teal will be in black on the chrome and the large mastercraft logo down the side will be in chrome but with some sort of graphic printed to it that will start out black at the bottom then fade upwards. I haven't decided what that graphic will be yet... wife doesn't like the pile of skulls idea. :rolleyes:

monsoon
08-05-2011, 01:02 PM
The refurb-ing won't happen till this fall, after our (southeast PA's) ski season is over. I'll take photos of the process. The chrome wrap will only cover/replace the teal. The black accent stripe and all white above and below the accent strip will be retained. Any lettering/logos that were in white on the teal will be in black on the chrome and the large mastercraft logo down the side will be in chrome but with some sort of graphic printed to it that will start out black at the bottom then fade upwards. I haven't decided what that graphic will be yet... wife doesn't like the pile of skulls idea. :rolleyes:

monsoon
08-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Current Photo of my '98