PDA

View Full Version : 1st Post

erbmjb
07-21-2011, 07:26 AM
Hi all. This is my first post and thought I would get some good advice here. We sold our old I/O and are in the market for a used mastercraft and have found some, but are no where near us and wondered what I could do for reassurance we aren't getting a lemon by doing a long distance deal? Or are there things to watch out for in these (i.e. are there bad year hulls, motors, etc). I should probably add we are looking at boats older than 10-15 years.

Thanks

ps205
07-21-2011, 07:33 AM
Please list the boats you are looking at and where they are located. You will get tons of response. If I or someone else is close to the boat you are interesed in then you can have it visually inspected.

erbmjb
07-21-2011, 08:48 AM
I did find this 93 maristar on boat trader in Plano, TX. It seems/looks clean....blue book has it listed lower than this though. I don't want to break the bank, but also don't want maintenance headaches later either.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1993-Mastercraft-225-Maristar-98634699

shepherd
07-21-2011, 09:13 AM
Have you tried onlyinboards.com? They might have a better selection of MC boats than boattrader.

Looking at that Maristar, I wonder what's up with the carpet/floor on the starboard side of the rear seat. Big stain, or torn up carpet?

And welcome to the forum!

erbmjb
07-21-2011, 09:18 AM
I saw that too. I'm waiting to hear back from them.

I also found this one...

http://www.texascars.net/web/used/Mastercraft-Maristar-200-1998-Arlington-Texas/643400/

Not sure if the prices I am seeing are good, normal, or high. I'm really only familiar with I/O since that's all I've been around.

I'll check out inboardsonly.com also.

Gofast
07-21-2011, 09:54 AM
The 98 will have fuel injection, which is a plus in my book. Also you have at lease a grand in the wetsound speakers on the tower.

The v-block up front on the trailer needs to be replaced before it scores the hull. Engine compartment divider is laying flat on the floor. The little things on the 98 make me nervous. It's 5 years newer than the 93, but looks a little rougher.

The 98 is a foot smaller, but has more usable space in the boat since the swim deck counts as part of the boat length on the older Maristar's since it was part of the hull and not a teak deck attached to the hull.

I was close to selling mine last summer for $16.5 K. I had 3 buyers ready with cash, but I backed out of the new boat deal. Mine is a 95 225 VRS and it is cleaner than either of the 2 listed. ( a few more goodies too )

Rob

TxsRiverRat
07-21-2011, 10:04 AM
That 93, I could not see the pics, but I go through there almost daily, if you'd like me to take a look at it tomorrow after work... Just let me know.

Do you ski, board, trick, foot, or what?

MC

east tx skier
07-21-2011, 10:35 AM
Welcome.

Watch out for the carb on that 93. It has the Holley 4010. Several people, myself included, have had trouble with them hot stalling and poor idling. If you are not test driving it, beware of that. The 92--93 351 HO engines (285 hp) came stock with the 4010. Some have been replaced with 4160s, which were far more reliable.

TxsRiverRat
07-21-2011, 10:53 AM
Welcome.

Watch out for the carb on that 93. It has the Holley 4010. Several people, myself included, have had trouble with them hot stalling and poor idling. If you are not test driving it, beware of that. The 92--93 351 HO engines (285 hp) came stock with the 4010. Some have been replaced with 4160s, which were far more reliable.

Fish Bowl baby!

aarosurf
07-21-2011, 11:13 AM
Check out craigslist too...

http://dallas.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=mastercraft&catAbb=boa&srchType=A&minAsk=&maxAsk=

bobx1
07-21-2011, 11:15 AM
.....wondered what I could do for reassurance we aren't getting a lemon by doing a long distance deal?....

Once you have narrowed your choices down to year/model and have identified some boats, you have a few options:

1 - Pay to have a Marine Survey done on the boat **BEST OPTION**

2 - Find out what dealer has been servicing the boat (or an inboard dealer in the area) and ask them to look at it for a fee.

3 - Ask someone from this board to go and take a look

4 - Fly/Drive and take a look for yourself. There are a few threads on here that give a pretty good and detailed list on inspecting and test driving a boat prior to purchasing.

erbmjb
07-21-2011, 02:56 PM
Thanks all.

all real good discussion items.

Flying/driving down is prolly out of the question as I just had my knee reconstructed and my wife is due with our third next sunday (strange that I still have a green light on a boat).

My wife and I only ski, our daughters also, but are interested in wake boarding (I also figure the tower and sacs could be added in the future since I can't downhill on this year with my knee I could have a nice garage project). We only will look at open bow and v-drive vs direct aren't a big deal to us provided there is some floor space.

RiverRat, if you don't mind checking it out and giving me your opinion it's much appreciated. In the mean time, I'll keep searching.

TxsRiverRat
07-21-2011, 02:59 PM
I'll go tomorrow after work tomorrow...

I think if all you do is ski, you should get a Prostar 205 D or V.

I did not like the limited space on a D drive at 1st, but once you get used to it. you'll never go back.

MC

east tx skier
07-21-2011, 03:49 PM
Fish Bowl baby!

When they're not being temperamental, they hit out of the hole like there is no tomorrow with "right now" responsiveness. Unfortunately, mine was usually coughing and sputtering.

ricford
07-21-2011, 06:58 PM
If you're a serious slalom skier stick with a direct drive (motor in the middle of the boat). There is more interior space in a V drive (motor in the back), but you won't be happy with the wake for slalom. If you want it for wakeboarding, cruising and the occasional slalom set then go for the V drive.
My 2 cents for all it's worth

ps205
07-21-2011, 07:32 PM
Where in the midwest are you located?

erbmjb
07-21-2011, 08:35 PM
madison, WI

ps205
07-21-2011, 09:18 PM
erbmjb - can you pm me your email address? I would like to talk to you offline.

erbmjb
07-22-2011, 07:04 AM
I'll send you my e-mail

TxsRiverRat
07-25-2011, 10:20 AM
I did find this 93 maristar on boat trader in Plano, TX. It seems/looks clean....blue book has it listed lower than this though. I don't want to break the bank, but also don't want maintenance headaches later either.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1993-Mastercraft-225-Maristar-98634699

I went by there on Friday after work to look at the Maristar and it was already sold.

Sorry man

MC

milkmania
07-25-2011, 11:18 AM
I can assure you this boat has been properly taken care of :twocents:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=42546

toolz
08-11-2011, 01:13 AM
madison, WI

Found a 210VRS near you- check your PM's