PDA

View Full Version : Replacing cracked 351W

MissileMech
07-21-2011, 12:51 AM
Hello - this is my first post. I have read a ton and am learning but I am wondering if there are any tidbits out there that can help me. I just bought a 1987 Prostar 190 and it has a badly cracked block and a 1.52:1 trans. A new long block is on the way from RapidoMarine and I also have new exhaust manifolds coming. It already has electronic conversion and I have a GLOBE 100J Run-Dry impeller ordered. I had it running for short periods and it ran great until the block started to fill with water. The trans fluid looks slightly pink and there is no water in it.

Question: Is there anything else I should replace/inspect/check while I am tearing into this??

Thanks in advance,
Dave
Jazzed Mastercraft Owner

mayo93prostar
07-21-2011, 07:30 AM
you will need to align the engine/tranny to the prop shaft after rebuild, there are links on here about it, use the search function and there is a way to search this site using Google. grease the flywheel for the starter. replace gaskets. replace fuel filter(s). I recommend to replace spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor. the plugs are much easier to replace when the exhaust manifolds are off. I assume you ordered new gaskets for manifolds. rebuild of carb may be in order. good luck. I used to own a 1987 also, now have a 93.

MissileMech
07-21-2011, 07:45 AM
Yes I have a new set of gaskets coming with the motor and the alignment is something I hadn't thought about. I will search for the procedure. Thanks!!

thatsmrmastercraft
07-21-2011, 09:20 AM
Do not grease the flywheel. Grease should be applied to the shaft the starter drive (bendix) rides on. Without periodic lubrication, this will eventually get some corrosion on it and not allow the starter drive to engage the flywheel.

MissileMech
08-01-2011, 03:40 PM
Ok- the motor is out. (check out the crack in the block by cyl #6). I am assuming that if I don't mess with the motor mounts my driveshaft alignment should be good but I will measure it just to make sure.

I also have a Edelbrock performer manifold on the way, but, since I am at 4500' here I was thinking about using a 450 cfm carb (have one from a 302 in the garage) to maintain better vacuum - has anyone that operates at altitude tried that?

MissileMech
08-10-2011, 09:06 PM
Wow - I love my new Prostar 190. We had a lot of fun on the lake this week and the new motor is now broken in.

MissileMech
08-10-2011, 09:10 PM
At the marina...

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab279/clarydave/IMG_3582.jpg

76S&S
08-11-2011, 08:48 AM
You didn't waste any time on that rebuild! Congrats, nice looking boat.

LYNRDSKYNRD
08-11-2011, 09:26 AM
Wow man it looks great!! Glad you got her running and I really like that color scheme on it too.

MissileMech
08-11-2011, 09:39 AM
Thanks guys. I had a lot of help from the kids and they learned a lot in the process. And of course, I got to drive the boat and they got to go tubing and skiing. We also borrowed a wake board and kneeboard and are now hooked. I am hooked on how this boat handles.