PDA

View Full Version : speaker/amp

Scott S
07-20-2011, 09:57 PM
how many watts can the JL audio speakers handle? Want to push them to there limit.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-20-2011, 11:48 PM
how many watts can the JL audio speakers handle? Want to push them to there limit.

Depends on which JL speakers you have...

-V-
07-21-2011, 06:28 AM
You might want to look at the specs online

mseller
07-21-2011, 10:48 AM
if you're talking about the jl m770 tower speakers that come stock....i push 150 watts to em and they sound good

Scott S
07-21-2011, 08:01 PM
Yep thanks mseller, I am talkng about the jl m770 tower speakers. Want to push them as far as i can safely, if that even makes since. I know they will probably handle more than advetised, just wonder what other people have done with success.

EarmarkMarine
07-21-2011, 08:51 PM
Thermal power handling (based on the ability to dissipate the heat away from the voice coil) is rated at 175 watts. We've run them with 150 continuous watts from a strictly regulated amplifier and 200 watts from an unregulated amplifier which essentially is the same power. Dynamic compression sets in above that threshold so greater power will not give you more output. They will absolutely handle this much power IF, repeat IF, the power is clean and uncompressed/unclipped. Setting the active crossover frequency a little higher (around 110 to 120 Hz) will increase power handling, output and projection. But keep in mind that this is more of an 'at-rest' SQ or 'surf' tower speaker and will never project at wake range with authority, no matter how much power you put to them. Also, if you have the speaker pods containing forward halogen lamps then a modification to the pod may be required to seal it. The 'T' series JL Audio 770 is a true acoustic suspension speaker and is totally dependent on a sealed pod for maximum power handling. More power beyond the typical factory 75 watts per speaker will undoubtedly make a gigantic difference. With 150 watts to each in-boat speaker the dynamic range and midbass attack is incredible. There isn't a better in-boat speaker once properly powered than the JL 770s, which are the 'C' or infinite baffle version.

David
Earmark Marine

Scott S
07-25-2011, 08:06 PM
Thanks David which amp would you suggest to power the 4 tower speakers? Right now I have a 6 channel that I think might have a bad channel and a 2 channel JL amp, that came stock with the boat. I am about to add 2 more tower speakers soon and are going to need to power them.

Scott

EarmarkMarine
07-25-2011, 09:53 PM
Scott,
We frequently use the JL Audio HD750/1 fullrange Class D strictly regulated monoblock to drive four tower speakers. Delivers the full 750 watts with any supply voltage from 11 to 14.4 volts and into any impedance load from 1.5 to 4 ohms. Its also enough power to drive four tower HLCDs if you end up making that retrofit in the future.

David
Earmark Marine

Scott S
07-25-2011, 10:09 PM
I am assuming that JL Audio HD750/1 fullrange Class D is a single channel. If so how do you connect four speakers to a single channel. Sorry for the ignorance.

Scott S
07-25-2011, 10:46 PM
I like to ask another question if I can David what is the difference between JL Audio HD600/4 4-Channel Class D Amplifier and the JL Audio HD750/1 fullrange Class D. I guess I am confused. Why would you use a mono block versus a 4 channel amp to connect four speakers. Thanks in advance for your knowledge.

EarmarkMarine
07-25-2011, 10:49 PM
One way is a series/parallel combination. We supply schematics for both self-contained coaxials/component speakers and HLCDs with external crossovers.

David
Earmark Marine

Scott S
07-25-2011, 11:44 PM
David,

You have got me thinking now about powering the rest of the speakers with the proper power.....What would you suggest to power the 4 in boat speakers plus the sub along with powering the 4 tower speakers? I guess I would use the JL Audio HD750/1 fullrange Class D for the tower speakers and what for the 4 in boat speakers plus the sub?

Thanks,

Scott

EarmarkMarine
07-26-2011, 09:57 PM
Scott,
Fix the amplifier if it has a bad channel.
Run the in-boat fullrange speakers with the existing 6-channel and bridge the existing 2-channel into the subwoofer.
Make sure you have enough preamp voltage with an EQ or line drivers and make sure you have the equivalent of a 4-gauge supply and ground feeding each individual amplifier. You may need to upgrade the sub wire.
Tune it correctly (versus the factory settings) and you should have a night and day improvement.

David
Earmark Marine

Scott S
07-27-2011, 12:03 AM
David,

But what if I wanted to put more power to them all, what would be the perfect set up for the 4 in boat speakers, sub and four tower speakers?

Thanks,
Scott

makaveli2308
07-27-2011, 12:45 AM
David,

Would the JL M600 /1 do a similar job ?

My query is based purely on the price differance of the amps.

thanks Adam.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-27-2011, 01:42 AM
One way is a series/parallel combination. We supply schematics for both self-contained coaxials/component speakers and HLCDs with external crossovers.

David
Earmark Marine

I like the way you think, all kinds of combinations to get the correct ohm value, but busting combinations borrowed from bass guitar amp stacks is definatly thinking outside the norm of typical 12v setups.:guitar:

Thrall
07-27-2011, 01:01 PM
David,

But what if I wanted to put more power to them all, what would be the perfect set up for the 4 in boat speakers, sub and four tower speakers?

Thanks,
Scott

This works pretty well.
Since the JL 7.7's can handle 150W + of clean power, I used the Boston GT-28 2ch full range amp that came with my sub (prev owner) and paralled each channel to 2 tower speakers. 2ohm load on the amp and the amp's rated output (forget at what voltage) was about 450W/ch @ 2ohms. So more than enough to drive the tower speakers with the gain dialed down to a safe level.
The Boston Sub,I then ran off of a dedicated Mono sub amp (cheaper than buying a good amp for the tower speakers since I already had one). JL E 1800 DM ??
The 4 in boat speakers I used a JL 6channel M6600 ?? It is rated @ 75W/ch output @ 4ohm. I ran the 2 front speakers to 2 channels and bridged ch3/4 and 5/6 for the 2 rear speakers. They can handle the power and it really makes them sing.

In your case, if your 6ch is good and your 2ch is good, to save $.
Get the amp of your choice for the tower, use the 6ch for the 2 in boat speakers and use the 2ch in mono for your sub..........provided all amps are capable of the configurations they need to be in.

Yes on the 1ch amp to 4 speakers, wire it series/parallel and your final impedance the amp sees will still be 4ohm.
Ckeck out this site. Lot's of good stereo wiring info/theory.
www.bcae1.com

agarabaghi
07-27-2011, 01:16 PM
I wanted to just run as few amps as possible in my boat since i dont have much space in the storage between the batteries and wiring etc...

I went with a WetSound Syn 6 to power the 4 in cabin speakers and my Pro485. I have the syn 6 wired to that chan 1 - 4 power each of the 4 JL 7.7 speakers with about 60w/rms each. Then bridged channels 5 and 6 to put out 600~w/rms @ 4ohms. The nice thing with this is that you can run the "bass" knob from channel 5/6 to the dash and mute the tower speakers without lowering the overall volume of the entire system.

I then went for a cheap JL 2 channel amp to power the small JL 10" sub i have, you might need a bigger amp depending on what sub you have.

EarmarkMarine
07-27-2011, 01:34 PM
Scott,
You could bridge your collective eight channels into four in order to drive the four in-boat coaxials and get a new amplifier to drive the subwoofer, something that would be larger and allow expansion into a second sub. If you are considering that type of highpass power then you will definitely be surpassing the capability of a single 10-inch. If you want a single chassis replacement for the in-boat speakers then the JL Audio HD900/5 is the ultimate multi-channel amplifier and would allow you to add a second subwoofer. Note, this amplifier does not fit a scheme with six in-boat 7.7" speakers, just four.

Mak,
The M600/1 from the XD series is not a fullrange amplifier like the HD750/1 is. Besides, the HD series is strictly regulated and will perform equivalently to an unregulated amplifer that is rated at 20 percent more. The HD750/1 gives you the ability to upgrade the tower to four HLCDs in the future.

David
Earmark Marine

Scott S
07-27-2011, 09:13 PM
when you bridge 2 - 75 watt channels do you get a 150 watts?

imracin68j
08-03-2011, 12:59 AM
I run 2 jl 12 W0 with a JL 500 running them and a JL 250 running 8 other speakers on the boat. It's the loudest thing on the lake. I cant turn it half way up without the whole boat shaking apart.