PDA

View Full Version : surf setup for x35 please please please?

htlo1r
07-20-2011, 04:32 PM
I am SO frustrated with this boat... can someone please give me some suggestions on setting this boat up for wake surfing... I have tryed everything I can think of, so I am asking the other x35 owners what to do... PLease....

CantRepeat
07-20-2011, 04:34 PM
What year boat and what have your tired so far?

htlo1r
07-20-2011, 04:38 PM
2008 x35. Tryed filling stock tanks up down half quarter, tryed 450lbs fat sacs in each rear locker.... it just does not throw a decent wake... I know it is possible I just need a direction or someone elses combo to try that has an x35.

CantRepeat
07-20-2011, 04:40 PM
2008 x35. Tryed filling stock tanks up down half quarter, tryed 450lbs fat sacs in each rear locker.... it just does not throw a decent wake... I know it is possible I just need a direction or someone elses combo to try that has an x35.

Well, the first thing you should try is just filling the hard tank and sac on just the side you want to surf. Do no fill both sides or the front at all.

V-man
07-20-2011, 06:51 PM
Contact these guys. They would be glad to help I'm sure.
http://slayshtank.com/index.php?s=x35

CantRepeat
07-20-2011, 07:22 PM
Contact these guys. They would be glad to help I'm sure.
http://slayshtank.com/index.php?s=x35

Othere then selling gear how would they help? If it's gear he needs then I'd suggest wakemakers.com and Jason. He'll be more then happy to suggest gear for his boat and weighting options.

V-man
07-20-2011, 07:32 PM
If you do a search for the x35 on this sight it will show a demo shoot they did with Chase Hazen. They can let you know how to weight it properly.

FourFourty
07-21-2011, 10:16 AM

Off the top of my head, It sounds to me like you need to get more weight up front. Too much weight in the back makes for a tall, but short and dirty wake. Get a 700lb sack up under your glove box, and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Viktimize
07-21-2011, 12:08 PM
2009 X-35. I fill all the stock tanks, set the PP at 10mph. Makes a great wake for me with only 2 people in the boat.

ktm29
07-21-2011, 09:16 PM
we have a 2011 X35 fill all the tanks and not so great? dont see a big diffrence in the wak plates eather. have only had it out twice still tweaking best we found so far all tanks full plate down on surf side. not great but works. I was told this is great surf boat not there yet?

MasterKraftS&S
07-21-2011, 09:23 PM
Hows the DEPTH of the water. I'm on a shallow river ain't NO surfin' goin on by me! Just sayin - not always the BOAT.

ktm29
07-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Deep lake that's not it but thanks for the reply I think i need more weight

Thrall
07-21-2011, 11:51 PM
we have a 2011 X35 fill all the tanks and not so great? dont see a big diffrence in the wak plates eather. have only had it out twice still tweaking best we found so far all tanks full plate down on surf side. not great but works. I was told this is great surf boat not there yet?

My boat doesn't have the fancy surf tabs, but wouldn't you put the plate full down on the off side to lift that side and push the surf side into the water? ICBW
FWIW, my X2 is surfable, barely with port tank and kgb full, 2 people in the boat.
I'd think by filling the off side rear tank you'd be taking away from the surf wake as well.

V-man
07-22-2011, 12:36 AM
You have got to get the boat listed more to the surf side. When we surf the boat is listed so the rub rail is kissing the water at 11-12 kts. This means you probably need more weight. Get some sacs, a couple of tsunami pumps, and get to work. You'll figure it out....that's the fun of it.

Traffic53
07-22-2011, 01:23 AM
ordered up the enzo sac to add to the factory hard tanks. i think the general thought is to fill all three factory tanks, then add some serious sackage. the really proper surf wakes are a result of disgustingly uneven ballast additions. i'm reading that 2500# of additional bags on top of the 800# of factory weight is not uncommon. when the boat is set up correctly, it's going to be uncomfortable to sit in, to look at, to drive. these boats are not ready from the factory. you need to buy some stuff. so...fill all the tanks, then add a couple thousand pounds to the port side of the boat. then, piss on those surf tabs. they're useless as tits on a bull.

have a look here at this 35:

ktm29
07-22-2011, 01:28 AM
thanks for all the data. any one have any experience with surf tabes? I've been told put down the opeset side bush the boat down on the serf side. I've been told us the same side and the surf side to roll the wake? nether seams to work well? also the tab @ 100% down is only at a 8-10% angel bellow the boat is this curect? dosen't seem like much of an agle to do much.

ktm29
07-22-2011, 01:36 AM
ordered up the enzo sac to add to the factory hard tanks. i think the general thought is to fill all three factory tanks, then add some serious sackage. the really proper surf wakes are a result of disgustingly uneven ballast additions. i'm reading that 2500# of additional bags on top of the 800# of factory weight is not uncommon. when the boat is set up correctly, it's going to be uncomfortable to sit in, to look at, to drive. these boats are not ready from the factory. you need to buy some stuff. so...fill all the tanks, then add a couple thousand pounds to the port side of the boat. then, piss on those surf tabs. they're useless as tits on a bull.

have a look here at this 35:

OK i get it now Sinnk the boat! thanks for your help I'll give it a try and let you how it works.

peettee79
07-22-2011, 07:19 AM
Note Fat sacs in above picture, these are the ones you can see hehe.

Thats how I have my X2 sitting....Im running near on 3 ton some times.

MIskier
07-22-2011, 08:59 AM
thanks for all the data. any one have any experience with surf tabes? I've been told put down the opeset side bush the boat down on the serf side. I've been told us the same side and the surf side to roll the wake? nether seams to work well? also the tab @ 100% down is only at a 8-10% angel bellow the boat is this curect? dosen't seem like much of an agle to do much.

First of all if you are just learning you do not 2500# of additional ballast on top of the stock. What you need to do is to fill only the rear tank on the side that you want to surf on, as well as have your passangers sit on that same side, and fill the center KGB tank 50-75% to start out with. As far as the tabs are concerned you want to use the tab on the opposite side from the surf side, and deploy the center tab to ~50%. The person that told you to use the tab on the same side as the surf wake is incorrect, doing that will just ruin your surf wave. Be patient and resist the temptation to put in tons of ballast just to learn on, just as you dont need pro level ballast to wakeboard you dont need pro level ballast to learn to surf.

Any of these boats are surfable given some time figuring out the boats charicteristics, I surf behind my prostar, and a buddies DD 'Bu and it is possible to do so without the rope.

Viktimize
07-22-2011, 11:23 AM
Bottom line is, learn to surf before you blame the boat.

MariStar-Man
07-22-2011, 11:58 AM
Bottom line is, learn to surf before you blame the boat.

Zinnggg...

It's understandable to want more weight. I think with a few minor changes you will have a great wake with that boat...

Link, the kid in the background is Scuba Diving above water...lol (http://www.youtube.com/user/wake9tv?v=-98VposzMQ0&feature=pyv)

gatorguy
07-22-2011, 03:25 PM
The wave is created by displacing water. The bigger the wetted surface of the boat the more weight it's going to take to displace that water. You're gonna want a bigger wave sooner or later, so there is no harm in shaping the ultimate wave to start with. It's true you can surf on about anything, but in this case bigger really is better. This is coming from a guy who surfs a ps205 with 2 750# fatsacks, and the wave is mid thigh high. My buddy has a 20' wakesetter that we just plumbed in a 1300# sack on top of his factory 1500 hard tanks. His wave is about 2x the size of mine, it comes hip to waist high. I won't mount a wedge, but I will be getting more weight to try and sink my boat almost. Weight up front makes the wave longer, and weight in the rear makes it taller.

wakescene
07-22-2011, 03:32 PM
My suggestion(s)
Stock Rear tank/bag in locker = FULL (on the side you surf)
Front ski locker = Full
Additional Ballast bag in rear locker -OR- on rear seat = Full (on the side you surf)
Additional Ballast bag in bow of boat = Full (pushed to the side you surf)

This is how I do it in my 2001 Maristar 210. You will have to play with the extra bags to find what works, but you do need additional weight up front (bags or ppl) to help open up the pocket of the wake. Far to often this is forgotten by everyone and the boat looks like a dolphin balancing on it's tale fin in the water!

With this combo I can surf in 8-12 ft of water and still get a decent surf wake. Deeper water only makes if bigger proportionally (we ride in tidal waters). We are one of the few boats in my area that "knows" how to wakesurf. It's a cool feeling when the wife hits the water, tosses the rope back and tears it up. Ppl stare with their mouths open.

wakescene
07-22-2011, 03:39 PM
Check this link, I reveal exactly what I do for ballast. You may be able to apply some of this to your boat as well.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=41656

ktm29
07-22-2011, 06:55 PM
Check this link, I reveal exactly what I do for ballast. You may be able to apply some of this to your boat as well.

thanks heading to the lake right now will let you know how it goes.

Question? What is the best brand of fat sac to buy. Ive been told we can plumb it in to the hard tanks is this a good idea?

HyHy
07-22-2011, 08:48 PM
I know we had a problem where the computer said that the trim tab was up when it was really down the whole time. We didn't figure it out for three days of the trip! Put a bad surf and wakeboarding... That might be it.

Traffic53
07-23-2011, 04:50 PM
this is what it looks like with only the enzo fat sac filled. the factory hard tanks are empty here.

CantRepeat
07-23-2011, 08:29 PM

The trouble with "revealling" the exact way to make a surf wave in his boat is that you are telling him what you did in your boat.

Different models and years are seldom weighted the same. Heck, sometimes the same year and hull may need different setups. So trying to paint a box around making a surf wave just isn't going to work.

Their are some basics for building a surf wave but even then they do not hold true to all boats.

jdhart73
07-23-2011, 11:51 PM
Not sure if anyone mentioned this already but I will because it deserves mentioning.
BE CAREFUL..... when you sac your boat out and have the rub rail kissing you had better be well aware how to handle that boat in various conditions. When you are that off balance and weighted down you need to be aware of how you slow down, how you turn, how you approach and turn into rollers etc....

That being said, just be careful.

TeX-35
07-24-2011, 05:59 PM
Got an 08 X-35. Took almost 2 years to figure it out. You really do gotta sink the boat, almost lay it on it's side. The -35 is different in that is a much deeper v-hull than the other X models. Here's my set up:
-No surf tabs on this model
-KGB ballast full
-Port stock ballast full
-Starboard stock empty
-750# (maybe 700, not sure) Fat Sac in port locker
-1100# L-shaped Fat Sac sitting on the rear/and port seats (above the cooler)

Usually surf with about 4-5 adults on board which also helps.

The L-shaped sac is inconvenient at best, but it's the only way I can sink the port side enough to throw a decent wake.

And yes, be careful with all that weight. My -35 has a real difficult time turning left. Makes it more likely to swamp the bow as well.

wakescene
07-25-2011, 12:21 AM
The trouble with "revealling" the exact way to make a surf wave in his boat is that you are telling him what you did in your boat.

Different models and years are seldom weighted the same. Heck, sometimes the same year and hull may need different setups. So trying to paint a box around making a surf wave just isn't going to work.

Their are some basics for building a surf wave but even then they do not hold true to all boats.

Well....duh!
Perhaps you should re-read both of my posts in this thread. I am pretty clear on that.

Lucky26
04-20-2012, 06:41 PM

I have a 12 X-35 , but due to work and baseball have not had any time for experiments. What did you finally find out with the ballast for surfing. Any help would be grateful

snork
04-20-2012, 07:05 PM
Not sure if anyone mentioned this already but I will because it deserves mentioning.
BE CAREFUL..... when you sac your boat out and have the rub rail kissing you had better be well aware how to handle that boat in various conditions. When you are that off balance and weighted down you need to be aware of how you slow down, how you turn, how you approach and turn into rollers etc....

That being said, just be careful.

+1 for safety, keep your children off the sun deck when your boat is weighted, doesn't take much to throw them off. Handle and turning characteristics totally different

Lucky26
04-20-2012, 08:15 PM
+1 for safety, keep your children off the sun deck when your boat is weighted, doesn't take much to throw them off. Handle and turning characteristics totally different

Thanks, for the warning. I will take some sea trials before loading up the fam.

BamaCraft
04-20-2012, 10:29 PM
We just bought a new 55. I tried surfing for the first time last weekend. At first I couldn't figure out the wake, it was flat and dirty. One of the times I got up my DD didn't engage the pp. I got up to 15 or so before she slowed down to 10 or so, then Wake was perfect. Be sure you are going fast enough. If you go too slow the wake won't get there. I had KGB and surf side full as well as 80 gallons of gas.

Lucky26
04-20-2012, 10:44 PM
Where is smith lake? What Engine do you have in that 55?

JLowder
04-21-2012, 01:04 AM
Why hasnt a mod moved this thread 3 sub threads deep so that nobody will read it. You guys are slipping.

Heelgrad
04-21-2012, 01:36 AM
Why hasnt a mod moved this thread 3 sub threads deep so that nobody will read it. You guys are slipping.

i was wondering the same thing...