PDA

View Full Version : coil / resistor question... 86 prostar

milehigh970
07-20-2011, 02:41 PM
Hi everyone! I have had my 86 prostar since last summer. It stranded me and the family for the first time last week. Started missing and couldn't get it off idle so i started to shore when it died. I found the coil blazing hot! Check spark, nothing. I am going to try to pick up a coil today. But in the meantime here is my question. Did 86 pcm's have a resistor? Mine didn't but with other stuff i have fixed on the boat that don't mean much..lol I am putting off Ei until i can afford a whole distributor. So still running points. If it should have a resistor should i just get a msd or accel coil and forget about it? Or can i get the right resistor at a napa or checker? No dealers or boat places near by... Thanks guys

milehigh970
07-20-2011, 02:59 PM
Yeah so just pulled the coil to test it and what do ya know... Says " use with external resistor" po must of pulled it. So do i get a msd coil? They don't require a resistor correct? Or what is the resistance value of the stock resistor? I have a case 430 tractor with a coil and resistor hanging on it ;) maybe i cam borrow it for the day? Its hot! :)

Hammbone
07-20-2011, 03:24 PM
Go to your local NAPA store and buy a #IC64SB coil. No external resistor is required with this coil.

TNPIG
07-20-2011, 05:45 PM
How would I know if I have electronic ignition or not on my84 S&S?

Hollywood
07-20-2011, 05:48 PM
Look under your distributor cap.

You should have about 2 ohms total resistance (any combination of coil + ballast resistor). Yes, you can get coils with higher resistance and ditch the ballast. The PO didn't know what he was doing. 03geetee (At a loss for words... (http://press.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=41243&page=1)) just learned this the hard way too, sorry.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-20-2011, 05:53 PM
Go to your local NAPA store and buy a #IC64SB coil. No external resistor is required with this coil.

Is this coil low voltage for points. If it is for electronic ign, it will bun the points.

O'Reilly auto parts shows a universal resistor.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search.oap?keyword=ballast+resistor&year=1970&make=Ford&model=Mustang&vi=1496152

03geetee
07-20-2011, 06:02 PM
Exactly if you dont run a resistor and use a hotter coil you could smoke your points. Do yourself a favor spend 15mins install the electronic igntion, grab the epoxy filled black flame thrower II coil from skidim and dont bother with buying another resistor.

I had plenty of issues and now they are all solved and the boat runs like a dream.

JTR

Table Rocker
07-20-2011, 06:47 PM
The only thing I would add is to check your voltage. There is such a thing as a ballast resistor wire which is a wire that does the job of the more common ceramic housed resistor. My '79 CJ5 has a resistor wire instead of the ceramic type. It looks like a normal wire, but is a little thicker than the rest. Since your boat's previous owner made some changes, you want to be sure you don't have one.

So if you go with a coil which has internal resistance, make sure you have 12 volts going to it. If you go with an external resistor, make sure you have 12v on the inbound lead.

Good luck.

milehigh970
07-20-2011, 07:20 PM
Did a Google search and this comes up as a common coil used on tractors..lol most of which run points so i think i'll go track one down.
03- i wish i could just replace with ei right now.. But my pay check as a stay at home dad just ain't up for it right now. ;)

milehigh970
07-20-2011, 10:50 PM
Ok so i am an idiot! I thought the coil bracket looked like the resistor should be bolted there, and seen it there on other applications. I read your thread 03geetee and seen yours under the breaker cover. Took mine off and hey there it is! BUT.... I took the wires off and checked resistance, its all over the place! Goes from 2 ohms to 30 ohms, never settled. I hooked it back up and turned the key on. I only got 4 volts out of it and it got pretty warm fast. How common is it the resistor to go out? I bypassed it and the boat fired right up on the hose...

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-20-2011, 11:09 PM
Ballast resistor is smoked, replacement is in order, converting to ei is still the best way to go...

03geetee
07-20-2011, 11:32 PM
Ok so i am an idiot! I thought the coil bracket looked like the resistor should be bolted there, and seen it there on other applications. I read your thread 03geetee and seen yours under the breaker cover. Took mine off and hey there it is! BUT.... I took the wires off and checked resistance, its all over the place! Goes from 2 ohms to 30 ohms, never settled. I hooked it back up and turned the key on. I only got 4 volts out of it and it got pretty warm fast. How common is it the resistor to go out? I bypassed it and the boat fired right up on the hose...

First of all glad you found it.

Second of all dont let the boat on the hose thing fool you my boat ran like a TOP all night before memorial day weekend on thurs night before I made the trip to WI. As soon as you load the ignition and heat up the coil it will come back, that is hard to do in the driveway on the hose and usually the motor cover is up which helps cool things even more.

If you can afford it please just do the EI upgrade, and buy the right coil. All you need to do after that is take the one wire off the one side of the resistor and put it on the same side as the others and "bypass" it. Most EI upgrades will require this as long as you use the right coil, and from what I found the black epoxy filled one from skidim is hard to beat for 52 bucks. Doesnt get hot any more and takes alot of abuse. Boat has never run better.

If you need any other help I am glad to help you with what ever you need just ask thats what this place is for!

JTR

thatsmrmastercraft
07-21-2011, 12:08 AM
Don't be afraid to run your boat with the points ignition this year if that is what your budget dictates. You could easily buy a new ballast resistor and make a go of things. If you go the points route, use new points every year. Set them with a dwell meter and be sure to set your timing correctly. Throwing in a new set of plugs will be worthwhile as well. All this can be done for under $40.

milehigh970
07-21-2011, 12:34 AM
I do really want ei, but as i said i am a stay at home dad now and we just closed on our house 2 months ago so the savings account hasn't got built back up enough yet. The set of points that are in it I put in end of last summer. I had just threw new plugs in it 2 weeks ago so we should be good there aswell. I think i am going to get the above listed coil my local napa has one in stock for 28 bucks, bypass the resistor, and hope my wife shows some love on my birthday in a couple weeks :) I really appreciate everyones help! I love this site! I have never adjusted dwell so i am going to need a lil help.. The points i put in last summer were my first ever experience there! I just set the gap@.18 and set the timing@6 and called it good. Lol I am from a whole different generation of mechanics..give me a laptop and a open pcm and i can make a fuel map and ignition table from scratch! :)

thatsmrmastercraft
07-21-2011, 12:53 AM
Sounds like you have things under control with fresh points and plugs. You can save a few more bucks if you buy a replacement ballast resistor. The part I listed in a previous post was $10. Either way, let us know how it works out.

Matt L.
07-21-2011, 01:04 AM
http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/ignitor2/default.aspx

Best $90 I ever spent on my boat!!!! Great customer/technical service too. Starts so much faster and runs even better!!!

Later,

Matt

PS easy install and no ballast resistor.

milehigh970
08-08-2011, 11:46 PM
Just wanted to update everyone... Picked up the coil suggested above from napa, 20 bucks. My buddy was picking up some stuff at tommy's for his boat and showed up with a tune up kit for me too.. What a good guy. Ran it for a few hours and all was well! Had a big trip this weekend and trailered about 4 1/2 hours to pathfinder in Wyoming.... Ran like a champ all weekend!!! Thanks guys!

Covi
08-09-2011, 08:13 AM
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thatsmrmastercraft
08-09-2011, 08:43 AM
Great to hear it worked out for you and the weekend was a success. Sounds like you have a good friend.