PDA

View Full Version : A Dying Pastime?

LaRue
07-20-2011, 11:44 AM
Had a few great slalom runs yesterday! Really starting to enjoy the new Radar Theory. Man, i love to slalom. :D Nothing feels quite like a well-carved turn where you feel rock solid on ski with a strong pull shooting you across the wake. Just needs to happen more consistently with a bit more rhythm. :rolleyes:

Which brings me to the point of this thread. As i was making the last run at dusk, I thought about how 25 years ago there would be several other slalom skiers on the lake. It used to be my brother and i would put the boat in the lake and before our runs we would observe some others skiers in order to determine who we 'had to out perform.' Sadly, not anymore.

I desire to be that guy who helps keeps the art of slalom skiing alive in this next of the woods. Last night the 10 year old son of a friend who doesn't get on the water much was watching me ski and when i got back in the boat he said, "Man that was beautiful spray coming up behind you." His interest was sparked.

On the way home from the lake i thought about how i want to 'the person' who, as people watch from their decks and screen porches, just might spur a son or daughter to ask mom or dad, "Can I learn to do that?" Long live the slalom skier.

holdenh2o
07-20-2011, 11:50 AM
I think that people have been priced out of water sports. Expensive boats and less accessible public areas are some of the reasons. I applaud your efforts and hope to one day spend time on the lake the way I did when I was a kid.

broncotw
07-20-2011, 12:06 PM
I think the explosion of wake boarding has had a major impact on the sport of slalom sking much like snow boarding has impacted snow sking.... I definetly do not think people have been priced out of water sports at all.... I see a ton of boats priced well over 100K everytime I am on the water....

plunk77
07-20-2011, 12:23 PM
i can say when i was younger i never wanted to slalom because it wasn't the "cool" thing to do. slaloming was for adults. my sister, on the other hand, learned because she wanted to be like my mom who did it all the time. the only time i attempted to slalom i tried to use her ski and since she weighed maybe 120 and i was around 250 it didn't work out too well. i made it a goal to learn how to do it next summer (this summer i couldn't ski at all due to a shoulder injury), mostly because when i have my own family if my kid sees someone slalom skiing and says "can i learn that?" i want to be able to teach them. i don't want it to die, because i feel like with my generation it really is. i don't know many slalom skiiers anymore

mccobmd
07-20-2011, 12:32 PM
I boughta radar theory this year. I Wakeboard and ski, my 18 yo daughter slaloms my16yo son does both. It is harder to get up and hurts more going faster. Truthfully both Wakeboard and slalom are giving way to the tube which takes minimal skill and effort

Jim@BAWS
07-20-2011, 12:36 PM
ITruthfully both Wakeboard and slalom are giving way to the tube which takes minimal skill and effort

What skilll... what effort???

tex
07-20-2011, 12:38 PM
This about sums it up!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiocracy

lettmeknow
07-20-2011, 12:58 PM
I think that slalom is starting to make a bit of a come back, and wakeboarding is dying. We have a 20 y/o kid smashing records, a 2 new highly praised slalom boats, one of which is new to the slaom scene all together.
At least out here in Nor Cal/Nevada. You just don't see too many slalom skiers on public lakes because the monster wake machines make it impossible to to get good water.Most of us have moved to private sites. Plus all the regulations and jack a$$es now days make it hard to keep and maintain a slalom course on public water.
I don't see hardly the amount wakeboard boats out on public lakes like I used too.Maybe alot of the 20-30 y/o crowd which made up a huge population of the wakeboard scene, have now lost their boats to the bank. The party cove , no longer has tons of boats tied up. Wakeboard tourneys are few and far between here. Wakeworld.com forum doesn't have nearly the amount of trafiic it used to.
I agree , think it has gotten too expensive for the average Joe to get involved. I think cable parks will begin to be the new craze for boarders.

ShamrockIV
07-20-2011, 01:07 PM
i think the dedication and the time and hard work to be a good skier throws the younger generation a big curve ball. it is a precise art. where on a wakeboard you can "freestyle" and show-out. it is easy for people to say man that was a cool trick. not many people can see the art of making those buoys!!

as for me as i get older and the lake gets more crowded and glassy water is harder to find. i lean toward surfing. but alas i loaned my old connelly concept to a buddy for him to use and i will prob ride it again soon!!

Patrick Hardy
07-20-2011, 01:10 PM
I think that slalom is starting to make a bit of a come back, and wake boarding is dying. We have a 20 y/o kid smashing records, a 2 new highly praised slalom boats, one of which is new to the slalom scene all together.
At least out here in Nor Cal/Nevada. You just don't see too many slalom skiers on public lakes because the monster wake machines make it impossible to to get good water.Most of us have moved to private sites. Plus all the regulations and jack a$$es now days make it hard to keep and maintain a slalom course on public water.
I don't see hardly the amount wake board boats out on public lakes like I used too.Maybe a lot of the 20-30 y/o crowd which made up a huge population of the wake board scene, have now lost their boats to the bank. The party cove , no longer has tons of boats tied up. Wake board tourneys are few and far between here. Wake world.com forum doesn't have nearly the amount of traffic it used to.
I agree , think it has gotten too expensive for the average Joe to get involved. I think cable parks will begin to be the new craze for boarders.

Thinking the same thing. The last twenty to thirty years has seen a dramatic increase in private ski lakes. That has taken a huge percentage of skiers off of public lakes, thus making it appear like a dying sport. If it is dying, than I will be doing it to the last second
As for the 100K boats, a lot have been either reposed, sold and or can no longer afford the boat and fuel cost.

HWHanke
07-20-2011, 01:10 PM
my wife and I plus my 2 sons all slalomn ski, the boys do wakeboard but both prefer to ski or barefoot. I am encouraged to see neighbours on the lake teaching their children and grandchildren to waterski. Just last weekend we had my cousin and nieces from Germany visit and I'm proud to say that over the weekend we taught them to ski, first on the boom then on the rope.
I do agree that with price of boats, gas and equipment it is out of reach financially for many but I also agree that its very hard to beat the feeling of carving up a mile of glassy water.
cheers

shepherd
07-20-2011, 01:11 PM
There's a new kid on our public lake whose parents bring him out to run through our slalom course. I sold my PS 190 a few years ago to a guy who needed a boat to train his young (13 yr old?) daughter slalom skier. There's still hope...

shepherd
07-20-2011, 01:13 PM
I don't think the price point is the reason, since you see more kids behind an $80K wake boat than behind a $50K slalom boat.

Juiced190
07-20-2011, 01:23 PM
Can someone please tell me what radar theory is. Thanks

lettmeknow
07-20-2011, 01:26 PM
Its a waterski, and Radar has a beautiful private site in WA. It doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg. You can have just as much fun on and old CC2001 for boarding or a 93ps190 for slalom. You just may not fit or get all the bikini girls :D

TNPIG
07-20-2011, 01:35 PM
I got a 69" O'Brien Sequence slalom ski for fathers day. That weekend was my first time to slalom and I'm hooked...A rookie at age 32. It doesn't take a 50K boat either. I got a nice stars and stripes for 7K and it yanked my butt right out of the water and drags me accross the lake unitl I say uncle.

ahhudgins
07-20-2011, 01:36 PM
What skilll... what effort???

i think the dedication and the time and hard work to be a good skier throws the younger generation a big curve ball. it is a precise art. where on a wakeboard you can "freestyle" and show-out. it is easy for people to say man that was a cool trick. not many people can see the art of making those buoys!!

as for me as i get older and the lake gets more crowded and glassy water is harder to find. i lean toward surfing. but alas i loaned my old connelly concept to a buddy for him to use and i will prob ride it again soon!!

I was actually disgusted to hear my 9 year old nephew say "I can't do this" when I was teaching him to ski on the boom (with trainers). Both my neice and nephew will only ski holding onto the boom and give up after a few tries with a 5 foot rope. Most kids (not all) have become soft and give up when it take some effort.

I had made my mind up to do more slalom this year but a mild shoulder injury has held me back. I have out grown my old ski, but I will eventually get another ski and do less wakeboarding.

mramerman@gmail.com
07-20-2011, 01:39 PM
There are some great efforts going on to reinvigorate the sport by Mastercraft & Marcus Brown: https://www.facetofacetour.com/. Clearly the sport has taken a hit by wakeboarding which for the last many years has occupied and owned "youth and cool" while slalom has been pegged as "old & dusty."

Let's face it. Slalom skiing is delicate and not social--requires (for the most part) a specialized boat and only includes the bare minimum participants (driver & spotter). The best water is generally found before 8 am most days. Conversely, wakeboarding can occur in a big boat at anytime of the day---allowing it to be a much more social (see and be seen) sport.

The question is, how can we make compromises to leverage the assets that slalom has--speed, raw athleticism, grace and a bit of danger? With the advent of really worthy cross-over boats capable of delivering a reasonable experience for both skiing & wakeboarding, helps (x14v for example) provide a more flexible platform that doesn't require the owner to compromise--making it all about "watersports" and not just one or the other.

My wife has been a hard-core wakeboarder. Finally gave skiing a shot last week--she caught on very fast and has now just bought a new HO Siren with double animal boots---she is super hooked and begging to go skiing! She has seen the light!

I think these things swing in cycles---and with continued investment and push by folks like MC & Marcus Brown I say skiing makes a much stronger statement in future years. Especially when there are relevant and cool icons making a difference for the sport.

MCPS205
07-20-2011, 01:40 PM
In my experience, a lot of teenagers just haven't had the opportunity to really "get into" slalom skiing, jumping, or trick skiing. When I was in college, we had an excellent water ski team (UW-Stout) with a jump and a slalom course. You would not believe how many freshman would come down to the dock with their wake boards but graduate from college four years later (or six years later in some cases :D) skiing the course at 28 off and jumping 75-100 feet. Anything we can do to provide opportunities and expose kids to slalom, trick, and jump, the better!

Also, we have seen a cycle on our lake of kids who grew up skiing, then grew up, got jobs, and couldn't make it to the lake as often. Now that they are having kids of their own, we're seeing the traditional disciplines coming back.

sebita
07-20-2011, 01:41 PM
Let's agree that Wakeboarding/Wakesurfing is easy to learn and you can do it for hours without getting tired, and that is the general direction human beings are driven now a days. Everything goes towards less effort and more comfort (and then people wonder why there are so many obese in the US) How many people do you see going up the stairs if they have the chance to take the elevator.
Slalom is hard to learn and it is tough on your body, but men.....what an addiction....
The king of all watersports.

TxsRiverRat
07-20-2011, 02:56 PM
You just may not fit or get all the bikini girls :D

1st, if you're depending on the boat to get the bikinis on board, you're doing it wrong... LOL

Last time I was on a wakeboard was 1998, the 1st season I owned the Texas River Rat... I buried that edge and such a hard fall, I swore I would never board again (and I haven't)... If I get the desire to ride anything other than my Phantom, it's a trick ski, or a kneeboard standing up... Anything I can come out of easily during a fall.

TonyB
07-20-2011, 03:09 PM
All three event skiing has moved to private lakes. There is no one out there providing the public spectacle necessary for the perpetuation of the sport.

Now it is a closed loop system limited by family procreation.

76S&S
07-20-2011, 03:10 PM
My kids think it is really COOL when I slalom, most of the time I'm wakeboarding with them though. However, one of my boys recently said that he wanted to learn to slalom. Now, that's something I can help him with! I'm no good at teaching him a toe back or back roll to revert though.

davidstan
07-20-2011, 03:11 PM
I learned to slalom at 53 and now at 55 i still get a good rush when a turn goes well. Still slow learning as the falls are real hard on me but worth it to see me improve little by little. Wife and daughters are real good and couple of years ago decided to join them. So glad i did, skiing on 2 gets real old! Also, tubes have been retired thank god.

plunk77
07-20-2011, 03:22 PM
1st, if you're depending on the boat to get the bikinis on board, you're doing it wrong... LOL

Last time I was on a wakeboard was 1998, the 1st season I owned the Texas River Rat... I buried that edge and such a hard fall, I swore I would never board again (and I haven't)... If I get the desire to ride anything other than my Phantom, it's a trick ski, or a kneeboard standing up... Anything I can come out of easily during a fall.

my dad is 61 and he slaloms about every morning we're at the lake. its funny because his experience with wakeboarding is word for word what yours is

starman205
07-20-2011, 03:28 PM
Let's agree that Wakeboarding/Wakesurfing is easy to learn and you can do it for hours without getting tired, and that is the general direction human beings are driven now a days. Everything goes towards less effort and more comfort (and then people wonder why there are so many obese in the US) How many people do you see going up the stairs if they have the chance to take the elevator.
Slalom is hard to learn and it is tough on your body, but men.....what an addiction....

Well said!!!! I am 56 and slalom skiing better than I did 20 years ago after discovering the course 5 years ago. And alass my boys have turned to the dark side and mostly wakeboard :-(.

LaRue
07-20-2011, 03:29 PM
Let's face it. Slalom skiing is delicate and not social--requires (for the most part) a specialized boat and only includes the bare minimum participants (driver & spotter). The best water is generally found before 8 am most days. Conversely, wakeboarding can occur in a big boat at anytime of the day---allowing it to be a much more social (see and be seen) sport.

very true....however, some of my best memories are of two cousins, a friend, and myself heading to the lake mid-afternoon, with one boat and 3 slalom skis, snacks and drink and skiing until the sun went down. Lakes are still not busy around here during the week.

aquaman
07-20-2011, 03:37 PM
I still slalom when the water conditions allow it. Even at 50'ish the thrill + the rush of accelerating is still there. Wakeboarding is fun and does require a certain agility to do tricks.

But slalom is a total physical rush that once experienced, is not easily forgotten.
We are still teaching the youngsters to slalom where I ski and they love it. :)

onejdgreen
07-20-2011, 06:45 PM
LaRue you are correct, unfortunately... Slalom skiing just doesnt seem to have the same appeal that it used to. But I can tell you this, when myself or my brother get up in the early AM to slalom on the glass before the wallys come out, we usually draw an audience. I know of people that can wakeboard, but cannot get up on a pair of skis to save their life, let alone a slalom. They admire at the way we cut across the lake and the speed at which we do it. Long live the slalom skiers!!!

ntidsl
07-20-2011, 06:58 PM
I have at least 20-30 kids within a .25 miles of me that have watched me ski every friday, saturday, and sunday from the shore and now with them all ranging from 3-12 they are all skiing in one form or another. If kids see it, they want to do it but when people ski on hidden private lakes nobody new is exposed to it. Be a good role model, act courteous and become a mentor to seom kids and teach them how fun it is. All the kids on my river now pull each other with waverunners when there isnt a boat driver around. The people on my river hear my boat and come out to watch, they look forward to it and now their kids want to be that person cutting that glass at 7am. Its funny how many on hear say that their neighbors complain about them skiing or the sound of their boat or whatever...I hug shores I admit but nobody ever seems to mind, they actually get disappointed if they miss my ski run...

mramerman@gmail.com
07-20-2011, 07:15 PM
Speaking of which, Marcus did awesome today advancing to the finals in the Waterski Worlds in Dunba Russia! Way to go MB! Great representation for Team Mastercraft!!!!

Follow his progress here: http://www.ballofspray.com/

onejdgreen
07-20-2011, 07:29 PM
I have at least 20-30 kids within a .25 miles of me that have watched me ski every friday, saturday, and sunday from the shore and now with them all ranging from 3-12 they are all skiing in one form or another. If kids see it, they want to do it but when people ski on hidden private lakes nobody new is exposed to it. Be a good role model, act courteous and become a mentor to seom kids and teach them how fun it is. All the kids on my river now pull each other with waverunners when there isnt a boat driver around. The people on my river hear my boat and come out to watch, they look forward to it and now their kids want to be that person cutting that glass at 7am. Its funny how many on hear say that their neighbors complain about them skiing or the sound of their boat or whatever...I hug shores I admit but nobody ever seems to mind, they actually get disappointed if they miss my ski run...

AMEN BROTHER AMEN!!! :worthy: :steering: :headbang:

87MCProstar
07-20-2011, 08:32 PM
I myself have recently thrown a slalom ski on the last two times I've been at the lake...first times since like 15 years ago. I compeletely forgot the rush you got as you cross the wake...even with crappy rusty technique...I'll be definately be adding it to the agenda as much as possible during sessions!

MIskier
07-20-2011, 09:28 PM
I tend to lean more towards slaloming making a big comeback. In all three events within the top three there are athletes that are all in their early 20's. While it is true that most of that talent is groomed on private lakes that doesnt mean there are not lots of people picking up skiing. Just this year a friend that had bought a 40th Aniv. X-star sold it and bought a prostar and has tought a half dozen people to slalom on our lake this year. I think the more youthful top athletes and the new skis that are coming out are helping the sport become more youthful.

Skipper
07-20-2011, 09:41 PM
All three event skiing has moved to private lakes. There is no one out there providing the public spectacle necessary for the perpetuation of the sport.

Now it is a closed loop system limited by family procreation.

That is a pretty good assessment. I move about every two years. I have been in clubs on public waters in both KY and TN but most have been on private lakes. When I try to ski on public lakes there are tons of tubers, surfers, and PWC's running amuk.

I hate the mentality that if you want to ski then you have to go during the week before sunrise. That is not practical. I don't think slalom has faded out, I think it has been forced out.

McFire
07-20-2011, 09:58 PM
I still slalom every chance I get. Like others, I have to get up early to get decent water. I am contributing by having all 3 of my kids into slalom skiing. We also teach many of their friends to ski. With my Prostar 190, there is no wake for anyone to work with behind my boat anyway.

EricB
07-20-2011, 10:03 PM
A group of us goes out almost every weekend morning for slalom. We get out by at least 8 am (some earlier) and we slalom or BF until the tubes or jet skier come out, which is about 10:30 to 11 am. Wakeboarders are still sleeping or hungover so...
Point being is that within our group, everybody is older than 45. Slalom takes practice, skill and dedication...things we were all brought up to believe in. Where else can you do 5 to 10 min of extreme excersize and be winded like a good slalom run?

Now, many kids opt for the "easy' way out and sit in their parents towable all afternoon being towed aroud by Dad who just bought this expensive massive inboard boat. In many cases kids have become larger because their parents have too. It does not take alot of skill or effort to sit on a towable, and the same may be true with how they are raised and treated through out their lives. Maybe it's an "entitlement" mentality, I don't know.
I do know that I have brought my childeren up with the education that if they want something, they have to work for it. An example is that if they wanted to "tube", they can. But they also had to ski too so they could tube. It was a 1:1 trade off. One result of this is that is my son (13 yrs old) does not care to "tube" anymore, but prefers to ski. He also is within the 95 percentile of his recommended weight. He also wants to barefoot and trick along with wakeboarding and kneeboarding (all skill-based).
So, if you set forth challenges and goals for your kids, 99% of the time they will rise to them and exceed your expectations. If you don't, they won't.
Just my opinion..

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-20-2011, 10:22 PM
Funny this came up as I also thought slalom was dying, until mark and kyle took me out a while back. Very impressive, make my wakeboarding skills look very pedestrian. As mark and kyle will testify to they are, lol, btw mark I'll be back next tuesday for the rest of the week...

Iskidaily
07-21-2011, 09:18 AM
At my place, I let everyone do what they want. Finding the right boat for me to slalom, for boarders and for everyone else (tubers, sunbathers) got easy with an '02 X star (ok, no comparison to the '93 PS 190 I used to have for slalom) then we use simple rules for when you can ski. Any time there is glass, slalom and new skiers get first pulls. After that, the boarders go til they're tired, then anything goes.

Any time anyone wants to learn a new skill, they go as long as they want. After watching for a while, they all want to try the next thing. Slalom is tough. The falls hurt more, getting up the first time is harder and you can't go as long. But nothing feels like it and nothing looks like it. The big advantage to skiing behind a wakeboard boat? The music!

bturner2
07-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Up where I live slalom started dying out primarily due the slalom snob mentality many of the skiers exhibited. Hearing people whine about boat speed, where people were sitting in the boat and the line the driver was taking just got a bit much for me and took the fun out of the activity. It also tended to be a very "me" centric activity where skiers didn't want anyone other than a driver and observer in the boat.

When we started wakeboarding all that changed. Now all of a sudden you wanted a bunch of people in the boat to help with the wake. It was also a new sport where you cheered your friends on as everyone was learning together. Being able to have a bunch of people out also made the whole boating experience for the family more fun as my kids could now take all their friends out with us.

Over the past 2 years I have started to get back into slalom and am back in love with the sport. It's a great work out and you just can't beat the thrill of the speed. One thing that's changed for us is no one in our group is so serious to the point of going back to the old slalom snob days. We usually have 4 or 5 people out per session and no one *****es about how it's going to effect their 5 ball turn. As long as it stays like this I'll be doing mostly slalom as long as I can. Doesn't mean I won't strap on the wakeboard for a ride or do some surfing but for now slalom is my main water sport activity.

TxsRiverRat
07-21-2011, 10:32 AM
Funny this came up as I also thought slalom was dying, until mark and kyle took me out a while back. Very impressive, make my wakeboarding skills look very pedestrian. As mark and kyle will testify to they are, lol, btw mark I'll be back next tuesday for the rest of the week...

Heck yeah, it's a rush... To me there is nothing better than the WOOSH you feel as you round that buoy...

Wanna get out next Thursday? You need to use up some of that gas $$ you gave me last time...

Just text me and LMK

MC

PS - should I bring some Dramamine? :D

mig
07-21-2011, 10:36 AM
That is a pretty good assessment. I move about every two years. I have been in clubs on public waters in both KY and TN but most have been on private lakes. When I try to ski on public lakes there are tons of tubers, surfers, and PWC's running amuk.

I hate the mentality that if you want to ski then you have to go during the week before sunrise. That is not practical. I don't think slalom has faded out, I think it has been forced out.

I just participated in a D2R (day to remember) event w/ the "In His Wakes" crew. They travel from the east coast putting on events to get kids on the water for the first time. Well organized with a great program that gets every kid off the dock and experiencing success on the water to some degree. Waterskiers were the heroes of the day! I think it is an adaptable and do-able type of program for anyone that wants to get a group of young people some experience with watersports. It was a lot of fun too!

TxsRiverRat
07-21-2011, 10:52 AM
I just participated in a D2R (day to remember) event w/ the "In His Wakes" crew. They travel from the east coast putting on events to get kids on the water for the first time. Well organized with a great program that gets every kid off the dock and experiencing success on the water to some degree. Waterskiers were the heroes of the day! I think it is an adaptable and do-able type of program for anyone that wants to get a group of young people some experience with watersports. It was a lot of fun too!

Our club hosted one May 7th this year, was a great event, had two boat dealers help out with boats, and the event went awesome... We got every kid up on skis, kneeboards, tubes, etc...

By the end of the day, I seemed to have gained the reputation of the best driver for tubes and the boys were all lining up for me to dump em out the side... LMAO

MC

chawk610
07-21-2011, 11:27 AM
My wife has tried twice to get me up on the ski... I am definately interested in learning... I think the problem is I started out wakeboarding. I keep getting pulled forward! Will be trying again this weekend! So IMHO it isn't dying :)

TxsRiverRat
07-21-2011, 11:33 AM
My wife has tried twice to get me up on the ski... I am definately interested in learning... I think the problem is I started out wakeboarding. I keep getting pulled forward! Will be trying again this weekend! So IMHO it isn't dying :)

Try a wide bodied ski and a "Deep-V" handle... Keep your knees to your chest and your arms straight...

MC

kskonn
07-21-2011, 12:01 PM

Here is my two cents, first of all You cannot wakeboard for hours without getting tired and for most people it is not that easy to learn. It is easy to get up on a ski or wakeboard, learning the other stuff is the hard part.

I have always wondered why there is this divide between wakeboarding and Slalom. they coexist fine on the lake I am at we are friends and on a number of occasions we end up giving each other lessons. We usually both walk away saying "man that was harder than I though."

My point is that why don't watersports in general unite under one umbrella for marketing, events etc... why not have a slalom competition and a wakeboard competition in the same weekend. Two very different things but both very fun to watch at a high level. It might be a pipe dream but it should be looked into.

chawk610
07-21-2011, 12:01 PM
Sorry to hijack this :) Ok... my wife has the rope. I def. was not in a ball and my arms were flexed to my chest. So, I was basically doing EVERYTHING wrong!!!
My back leg was extended in the ski trying to push down, my lead leg was bent but not to my chest, and I was leaning back pulling the rope to my chest. That's why I was a waterlogged sore mess after about 12 tries!!!

Thanks for the tip. We are going out Sunday.

kskonn
07-21-2011, 12:10 PM
On another note, talking about kids etc... I recently had a son, now 7 weeks old. I have made the decision and put an offer on a lake house. first of all it will be awesome living on the lake, second and the main reason is I want my son outside playing, skiing, boarding whatever. Not inside playing video games. I want him to be able to swim, ride bikes without having to worry about the dangers a large city provides.

Once I make the move I hope to get my nephews, their friends and other kids out on the boat to get some activity. Both my nephews are on the go kids that play sports , ride bikes etc... however, 50-60% of their friends all have weight problems at 12 years old. I don't want that to be my kid and I want to do what I can to help other kids out. Probably won't get them to go running or hit the gym but I know I can get them on a boat, trying to ski, wakeboard, whatever as long as they are active.

LaRue
07-21-2011, 12:24 PM
Sorry to hijack this :) Ok... my wife has the rope. I def. was not in a ball and my arms were flexed to my chest. So, I was basically doing EVERYTHING wrong!!!
My back leg was extended in the ski trying to push down, my lead leg was bent but not to my chest, and I was leaning back pulling the rope to my chest. That's why I was a waterlogged sore mess after about 12 tries!!!

Thanks for the tip. We are going out Sunday.

Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb-vqJD0itA&feature=relmfu)

TxsRiverRat
07-21-2011, 12:27 PM
Here is my two cents, first of all You cannot wakeboard for hours without getting tired and for most people it is not that easy to learn. It is easy to get up on a ski or wakeboard, learning the other stuff is the hard part.

I have always wondered why there is this divide between wakeboarding and Slalom. they coexist fine on the lake I am at we are friends and on a number of occasions we end up giving each other lessons. We usually both walk away saying "man that was harder than I though."

My point is that why don't watersports in general unite under one umbrella for marketing, events etc... why not have a slalom competition and a wakeboard competition in the same weekend. Two very different things but both very fun to watch at a high level. It might be a pipe dream but it should be looked into.

The problem with your idea is that it takes all day to have a 3 event tournament, let alone a 4 event. A 4-event tournament would easily run into two days, given there were over 20 participants. We just hosted a 2-round Class F Grass Roots tournament at our site and we made it a “Pick your favorite 2” format – slalom, trick, jump or wakeboard. That seemed to work out pretty good. One of my goals if elected president again is to graduate back into hosting a Class-C.

There’s a lot of difference between the sports too. Example, I slalom and the rules are relatively simple to understand... Jump is easy to understand too... Try watching a trick skier or wakeboarder – I can watch cool tricks all day long, and I have no idea how they judge or score. The terminology used is like a completely different language... I couldn’t tell you what an a-frame, blind, bone, bonk or corked spin are (had to look these up even)... LOL

When I skied on public lakes, we were the 1st ones on the lake and the 1st ones off the lake... If we encountered another slalom boat, it seemed that they understood the concept of sharing the water and not throwing a roller into each others paths (we’d even talk to each other to designate where each would ski). If we encountered a wakeboarding boat, it almost seemed on purpose they would throw rollers our way, do bat turns, or just encroach on our area... Maybe it was my imagination, but the bottom line is, one sport wants a big wake and the other sport wants no wake, and that doesn’t mix well...

MC

chawk610
07-21-2011, 12:28 PM
KsKonn... I have 9 year old twins... I have learned a thing or two abou tnot letting the get out of control with weight... both are active and at a healthy weight... I don't live on a lake but I do LIMIT SCREEN TIME. That includes gaming, computer, phone, and TV. I also give them the old "either go outside and play, or stay inside and do chores!" :) My wife and I are outside most of the weekends doing the lawn, fiddling with the boat, or sitting in the driveway watching the neighborhood go by with a cocktail. Yall will lead by example!!!!!

Congrats on the little one BTW

kskonn
07-21-2011, 12:48 PM
When I skied on public lakes, we were the 1st ones on the lake and the 1st ones off the lake... If we encountered another slalom boat, it seemed that they understood the concept of sharing the water and not throwing a roller into each others paths (wed even talk to each other to designate where each would ski). If we encountered a wakeboarding boat, it almost seemed on purpose they would throw rollers our way, do bat turns, or just encroach on our area... Maybe it was my imagination, but the bottom line is, one sport wants a big wake and the other sport wants no wake, and that doesnt mix well...

MC

Yea I can understand this happening on a lot of lakes, because a lot of wakeboarders are kids of wealthy people and they just often have not been taught to share. I board on a locals lake and it is great.It is primarily wakeboarders but a number of slalom guys as well. If I see a slalom boat I will pull up and ask them which way they are going and cooridinate so that at most we may pass once every 45 min or so. It has even gotten to the point where their are unofficial designated areas for boarding and others for slalom. Small town, small lake etc... the next lake up river has a lot of weekend vacation home people on it and I won't touch that lake. People will pass you while you are boarding, plow past you while you have a skier/boarder in the water, pretty much no courtesy at all glass can only be found on the houses.

TxsRiverRat
07-21-2011, 01:04 PM
Well that’s awesome, and you are one of the rare exceptions...

One driving technique I practice to help keep the water calm is when the boarder or skier falls, instead of doing a bat turn, you throttle down and let the boat completely stop... The wash hits the stern and it seems to help dissipate the rollers a little better... This works provided you don’t have another boat headed towards your skier and you have to get back there quickly...

Patrick Hardy
07-21-2011, 01:07 PM
Our club hosted one May Th this year, was a great event, had two boat dealers help out with boats, and the event went awesome... We got every kid up on skis, kneeboards, tubes, etc...

By the end of the day, I seemed to have gained the reputation of the best driver for tubes and the boys were all lining up for me to dump em out the side... LMAO

MC

It is funny that you bring up tubing. So many people bash tubing on these types of forums, but IMO tubing is a great way to introduce the speed of crossing the wakes to young kids. They learn that it is fun and exciting, not something to be scared about. I really enjoy the look in their eyes and big smiles they have after experiencing that rush of speed. From there most kids will be excited to learn how to ski.

TxsRiverRat
07-21-2011, 01:12 PM
It is funny that you bring up tubing. So many people bash tubing on these types of forums, but IMO tubing is a great way to introduce the speed of crossing the wakes to young kids. They learn that it is fun and exciting, not something to be scared about. I really enjoy the look in their eyes and big smiles they have after experiencing that rush of speed. From there most kids will be excited to learn how to ski.

There was a mens 2 skier out of waco, I cant remember his name, but it was not until my daughter saw his 4 year old ski skim that my daughter gained interest... I guess what she saw daddy do looks hard and what she saw a 4 yr old do looked easy... :)

hoosier skier
07-21-2011, 07:01 PM
Well I'm trying to do my part , my daughter and younger son both salalom along with me at my advanced age (54 yrs ) and my wife combo skis (hasnt salalomed since last preg. ) . I was able to get the college aged wakeboarder that has a cottage near mine interested in salalom to the point that he wakes me up at 6:30 am most weekends for a run . Last weekend ,he won the INT wakeboard comp but only talked about his 30 mph full pass at salalom . I think the future for salalom will come back around , just like good old music and wine !

east tx skier
07-21-2011, 07:25 PM

To add to what TXRiverRat said, Arms straight, knees bent, and let the boat pull you up. This is the main difference between getting up on skis and getting up on a wakeboard. On a wakeboard, you have to make an effort to stand up and straighten the board out in the direction of travel. On slalom, you just hold that position until you are riding the ski. Stand up too quickly, and out the front you'll go.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-21-2011, 08:03 PM
TXRiverRat, I'll let you know when I'm in dallas...

BIGBADBLUE
07-21-2011, 10:41 PM
My entire family always skies first ... Everyday out. 3 kids (12,13,16) and wife all ski and play rock paper scissors to who gets to go first. Fun stuff. We are one of the few families I see who still ski at CHL. Sad.

We took 6 teenagers out a couple weeks ago for a weekend on the houseboat. We could oy talk 2 of them to learn to ski and they had a ball. They wanted to tube. No way. We let them surf but I would not get the tubes out. My daughter needs new friends.

gatorguy
07-21-2011, 10:52 PM
Ideally I would only have one ski in my boat (mine) and an observer and spotter with a professional camera to record everything I did so I could review it later and endless glass to carve, but that is a pipe dream.

Truth is I enjoy slalom the most, but also like to board and surf. I want to learn to barefoot, and am just learning to ski the coarse. I love skiing, and have been doing it since I was 12 (I just turned 37 Saturday). We would be at the lake before it was light. It was a 45min drive so those were some early mornings. We would all slalom until we couldn't hold on anymore then we would go home just as all the other people were putting in. If we didn't go that early not only did you not get any glass, you also were putting your life at risk since so many people don't know how to drive.

Now I have a 97 ps205 which I got last fall and 5 kids age 1.5- 14. When we go out we have about one of everything on the boat. I secretly hope they will all aspire to 39' off course skiers but reality is if they have fun, and the family has fun then I'm happy.

It's been a little frustrating for me. I want them to get out there and try it all, but they have been very slow. I don't get it, when I was a kid I would have given my left nut to get a chance to go ski, and then I would try and try and try until I figured it out, or they pulled my out of the water. My 14yo got up on the wake board for the first time yesterday after trying on three different trips. Its like he thinks he has to do it perfectly his very first try, and if he doesn't then he gets all upset and wont try again for about 3-4 weeks. However now that he can get up reliably he is an expert, just ask him. My 6 year old twins like to try and ski on the combos if I start them off of the teak deck and push them out once the boat is driving, but my 9 year old won't really try anything. It was like pulling teeth to even get him on the tube, but then once he got out there and figured out he wasn't going to die we couldn't get him off. I know I just need to be patient and let them do it on their time. The last thing I want is for them to refuse to do any water sports as a form of rebellion.

In the long run I know that all water sports are here to stay (unless the environmentalists get their way), I just hope my body holds together well enough to still be doing it when I'm really old, like 80.

brandon1515
07-22-2011, 07:24 AM
I took a group of friends out yesterday that had very limited skiing experience. After a few tries, a break and then a few more tries one of them was able to get up on 1. His confidence grew quickly and it didn't take him long before he was crossing the wake. Then he figured out how to go wide when the boat was turning and really increase his speed. After turning the boat around when he was done; I could see a huge smile on his face as he exclaimed... That. Was. Awesome.
He wouldn't stop talking about it on the way back to the launch and was already making plans with everyone else for splitting gas so he could ski more.

Plave
07-22-2011, 08:09 AM
Wakeboarding and now wakeskating are far more accessible. Cable parks, System 2.0 and the winch are seeing both sports grow and grow in ways that slalom just can't as it's always going to be in the world of the boater.

Someone said wakeboarding is dieing? Not even remotely so, it's still growing and very, very quickly.

76S&S
07-22-2011, 08:18 AM
Wonder how the 2.0 would work for slalom???

TxsRiverRat
07-22-2011, 11:08 AM
Dying pastime? I think not! :D

I had not skied too much over the past 2 seasons, due to job layoff, time, etc... This is my 1st year to get back to really trying and its been HARD to get back (I used to be a 28 off skier)...

Well I got out on the lake last night to do what I love running those red balls... 1st set, 1st pass 15@32, Whooosshhh.... RAN IT... Sweet, only the 2nd time all season Ive run an opening pass. 2nd pass, I round 2 ball in awesome shape, bit off wayyy more than I could chew @ 3 and almost went OTF at the buoy... 3rd pass, Woooosssh, RAN IT again!! I was so excited I ran deep into pass #4 and 5, but I skied so hard the 1st 3 passes, I ran out of juice.. LOL

2nd set, I ran passes 1 & 2, 1st time I have run B2B passes in 2 years! Pass #3, I lost patience @ 1 ball bit off too much again, ski went chop chop chop into a roller and WHAM Mark gets an attitude adjustment! Ribs were sore, neck sore, shoulder hurt, had the wind knocked out of me, I felt like I was gonna puke... LOL!

I still managed to run pass #4, got deep into pass #5 and confident enough to speed the boat to 34 for the 1st time in 2 years...

Six red buoys never felt so sinful...

I LOVE THIS SPORT...

MC

The8Ball
07-22-2011, 01:27 PM
It is dying... Just look at the market, of boats. Everything has a rack on it. Certainly the new ones. And then the old ones, have them, too.

I am proud to say that my inboard, direct drive, is a SKI BOAT. No rack. No wakeboarding... I grew up skiing...

Wakeboarding is probably one of the more obnoxious sports on the lake... you work to create a big wake, crank up loud music out the back. Don't take offense.

It will be interesting to see how much longer MasterCraft, CorrectCraft will even make direct drives.

shepherd
07-22-2011, 02:29 PM
Wakeboarding is probably one of the more obnoxious sports on the lake... you work to create a big wake, crank up loud music out the back. Don't take offense.

Kind of like the guy with the big subwoofer in his lowrise Civic behind you at the traffic light?
Wait, that guy doesn't mess up my pristine slalom water and slam my boat up against the dock, so he ain't all that bad. ;)

TxsRiverRat
07-22-2011, 03:06 PM
Kind of like the guy with the big subwoofer in his lowrise Civic behind you at the traffic light?Wait, that guy doesn't mess up my pristine slalom water and slam my boat up against the dock, so he ain't all that bad. ;)

No, but that thumpity thump hippity hop rappity rap crap should be against the law...

As long as its AC/DC or kid rock, NOT A PROBLEM :)

gatorguy
07-22-2011, 03:25 PM
I have never bought in to the "all wakeboarders are bad" theory. I do have a big problem with 15yo kids driving their dads x-star within 50ft of me while in the water waiting to be picked up after a fall. I don't care if you're about to go pro and get sponsered like this 15yo is about to do.

I don't care what you ride ski/board/feet or what you drive DD/VD/IO/OB. Just have some respect for the other people around you. Some people actually had to work for what they have and don't want someone elses stupidity to take it from them, or worse kill someone because they were trying to look cool for the 13 yo girl in the bow.

LaRue
07-22-2011, 03:35 PM
I don't care what you ride ski/board/feet or what you drive DD/VD/IO/OB. Just have some respect for the other people around you.

I agree. Around here it is all public water so i am okay with others enjoying their passions and hobbies but proper etiquette should under-gird all of them. Every time i go out i find myself shaking my head dumbfounded at the inconsideration of people. 4 boats on the entire lake, one side glass and Mr. Tuber has to pull all through the glass. Teenage jetskier has to fly past as i put on ski and carve up water in front of us. Other driver is showing off to his girlfriend how a Bayliner can do powerturns.

Iowa has a boating test for anyone under 18 to get a driving permit. I wish they taught common sense along with the rules of the water.

TxsRiverRat
07-22-2011, 03:44 PM
Wait.... You mean all wakeboarders AREN'T bad???

:huh:

:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

Honkity Hank
07-22-2011, 05:05 PM
Interestingly I have done a 180 on this. The point of being on the water is to have an enjoyable time, if the tubers and surfers are rolling up the water then I might as well join them, as there is no fighting it. Ski in the morning or evening when everyone else is off the water, wakeboard and surf during the day when you can't surf.

Plus as someone noted, wiping out at 15 mph is much easier on the body than 32 mph. The kids seem to like it more too. A wake board tower is in our future.