PDA

View Full Version : Boat cover seat stain thread ... solution...

agarabaghi
07-20-2011, 10:00 AM
Well not really, but the new skiboatcover.com made with sunbrella did not stain my seats after 1 day. The old black mastercraft cover would have turned them brown in a couple of hours.

I will admit that it does not fit nearly as nicely as the oem cover, but it seems to have a better pooling solution. The cover fits great and all, but the OEM really fit snug...

Anyways i am happy, and I have also received the rear sundeck and motor cover vinyl so I will be replacing those soon.

Hopefully the mystery of the brown will be gone for good!

http://img816.imageshack.us/img816/6273/imageyxt.jpg

Thrall
07-20-2011, 07:11 PM
Aha! So it is the cover!
Please report back after it's been out in the sun for a while with the old vinyl whether it stains or not.
What color is the new cover?

agarabaghi
07-20-2011, 08:01 PM
Covered it back up will check tomorrow. Cover is "sand"

x-swagger
07-20-2011, 08:29 PM
I've actually noticed that my vinyl has been looking a little brown lately, but i just thought and hoped i was crazy....

Is this a black mastercraft cover problem that i just wasnt aware of? IS MY COVER RUINING MY VINYL???

Thrall
07-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Not ruining the vinyl I'd say. FWIW, it looks just as bad after 1 day or 1 month out in the sun and a day in the sun, on the lake makes it disappear (mine anyway).

agarabaghi
07-21-2011, 09:07 AM
my vinyls are damaged. You can clearly see worn down areas where the vinyl has lost its texture. I believe this is from years of being uncovered in the sun. The damage seems to get worse when the black oem cover is placed on top. I took the sure thing route and order both replacement vinyls and a replacement cover.

Thrall
07-21-2011, 04:21 PM
my vinyls are damaged. You can clearly see worn down areas where the vinyl has lost its texture. I believe this is from years of being uncovered in the sun. The damage seems to get worse when the black oem cover is placed on top. I took the sure thing route and order both replacement vinyls and a replacement cover.

Mine's not that bad, vinyl is still textured and best I can figure it spent 2-3 seasons in the sun with the cover on it. It cleans up or goes away at least 90% after a cleaning or a day or 2 on the lake. It's not noticable in daylight, but is under flourescent garage lights (where my boat unfortunately spends most of it's time, unlike yours!:()

agarabaghi
07-22-2011, 09:36 AM
2 sun deck vinyls are on, dropped the motor box cover off this am, hopefully it gets done today. 1 interior seat is done. Pretty impressed with the local marine upholstery shop 3 sections done in 1/2 a day.

Gonna have to admit the new cover is pretty awesome. We had a bad storm yesterday and no poolingand the water dripped right off... Still have to figure out the 3 pole system...

bturner2
07-22-2011, 07:55 PM
I've had my Sunbrell Sskiboatcovers.com cover on my boat since May with no issues. As much as I liked the way my black OEM cover fit that material is just plain bad news. It's hard to believe they keep making them with that material. I also noticed that the same company is making a similar cover for most other boat manufactures. There's going to be a lot of hot customers after they find out what that material does to their boat.

ntidsl
07-25-2011, 06:12 AM
I left my boat in for my wife for the week and had an incident with the oem cover and the sundeck on my 197 this past week. 97 degree, sunny and humid and she didnt take the cover off as instructed first thing in the morning. She called me and told me something was wrong with the sundeck. I knew exactly what it was, thanks to this forum. She cleaned it up best she could and the sun cleaned it the rest of the way that day. Bad mix, sun, heat, moisture, OEM cover. So in order to leave boat in unattended now I'll either need a new cover or no cover, correct? The black cover always drove me crazy anyway. Gonna start research new covers and keep my black one for winter storage I guess.

agarabaghi
07-25-2011, 07:56 AM
I left my boat in for my wife for the week and had an incident with the oem cover and the sundeck on my 197 this past week. 97 degree, sunny and humid and she didnt take the cover off as instructed first thing in the morning. She called me and told me something was wrong with the sundeck. I knew exactly what it was, thanks to this forum. She cleaned it up best she could and the sun cleaned it the rest of the way that day. Bad mix, sun, heat, moisture, OEM cover. So in order to leave boat in unattended now I'll either need a new cover or no cover, correct? The black cover always drove me crazy anyway. Gonna start research new covers and keep my black one for winter storage I guess.

Yup. Do you have pictures of the browning. So far the only solution ive seen that cleans it, is Malco Leather and Plastic cleaner.

Im very happy with the skiboatcover.com cover and it took less than 3 weeks to arrive.

Thrall
07-25-2011, 10:43 AM
Malco is the only cleaner I've found to take off the brown too, but at least in my case, just having it uncovered in the sun/on the lake takes the stain off in a day usually.
Covering the sun pad and front seat with towels works.
Personally if I had a MC black cover in good shape, I'd get a liner sewn into the affected areas, probably cheaper than a new cover.

agarabaghi
07-25-2011, 11:05 AM
Yea, my cover was showing signs of age. And i was worried about spending how ever much i spent on the new vinyls and being in the same boat. No pun intended ;)

ntidsl
07-25-2011, 05:48 PM
my seat shows no sign after an hour uncovered and cleaned with soap and water...boat is covered currently in a shady garage its still 97 degrees so I'll find out if its the sun or heat. My boat has been covered hundreds of time in the sun before with no troubles...then once wham...pinkish, brown stain just like yours...one day...im thinking that someone used a strange sunscreen or something unknown to my wife or I (she has been instructed no spray sunscreen on boat ever). i was out of town and she usually takes real good care of the boat but she just didnt uncover that morning...but it has never mattered before...there is a missing link!!!

Thrall
07-25-2011, 07:25 PM
It's more sun than heat in my experience, or maybe that sitting in the sunlight gets it hotter.

I have/had a gas radiant heater in my garage that was about 4' above the back of the boat and after having it parked all winter, with the heater running sporatically (only when I was working in the garage), the sun pad discolored slightly. Not near as much as when covered in direct sunlight on a hot day.
Still not 100% sure cover or vinyl. Like I have said before, a friend has an 06 X15 that he covers with a black MC cover on an open boat lift all summer. His vinyl is a very light grey and no discoloration or color transfer issues.
Again, my boat was baked in the sun for 2-3 summers with the cover on it before I bought it. His was garaged by the previous owner up until this year, it sits on his lift.

SNATCHEM
12-16-2011, 12:28 AM
I too have a fabulous Mastercraft which is barely 3 years old.

My kids and I wash and scrub the Boat after each use and towel the Boat dry as well .

We had beautiful light grey vinyl - now we have a dirty desert sand colour.

After each use we also naturally fitted the black Mastercraft cover which comes with the Boat thinking we were assisting with protection.

The appearance of my Vinyl is just so disappointing and just not acceptable in view of the supposed quality and price of the Mastercraft Boat range.

Given what seems an extensive problem I would have thought the Company should have issued a recall on such a sub standard vinyl product.

Maybe other readers may like to enlighten me and other Board readers on their experiences and if they have approached Mastercraft on this matter.

agarabaghi
12-16-2011, 08:10 AM
My boat was too old.

How damaged is your vinyl? Have you tired malco / 303 aerospace protector and leaving it in the sun?

BrooksfamX2
12-16-2011, 09:34 AM
As I need a cover, I am very interested in this topic...I had planned on getting an OEM cover, but not sure now..........

agarabaghi
12-16-2011, 09:40 AM
check our skiboatcovers.com

ive had great luck with mine.

Millertime
12-16-2011, 10:16 AM
I like the fit of the MC cover, I was thinking about taking it to a sew shop and get a piece sewn in the front where it touches the vinyl. Similar to the piece on the windshield. My cover only affected the vinyl in the bow. Has anybody tried that?

agarabaghi
12-16-2011, 10:18 AM
nope, let us know how it works.

BrooksfamX2
12-16-2011, 10:53 AM
My bigest concern is how an aftermarket cover fits and cinches. I like the OEM cover for these features. I will be trailering with the cover.

Maybe I'll just cover the front and rear upholstery with a towel when using the OEM cover.

agarabaghi
12-16-2011, 11:19 AM
trailer with cover is a bad idea

BrooksfamX2
12-16-2011, 01:13 PM
trailer with cover is a bad idea

Done it all my life, 30+ years with no issues. I trailer 300-400 miles to the lake a couple times a year. Cover keeps the ch!t out of the boat..........

swatguy
12-16-2011, 08:41 PM
I have had great luck with boats.com for covers. Thesell custom fit covers for most major wakeboat brands with the factory towers. It'd kind of hard to search thru their site, but of the 4 covers I have purchased during their sales for 4 different wakeboats all have fit like gloves. I optedfor the covers that cover the swim platforms. 2 sunbrellas and 2 sharkskins.

BrooksfamX2
12-17-2011, 10:07 AM
Heres some pricing I got from this site.

http://www.baldmikes.com/html/sharkskin_and_sunbrella_exact_.html

Fits 2006-2009 MASTERCRAFT X-2 w/XTREME TOWER DOESN'T COVER PLATFORM

Sharkskin Plus: $374 - Comes in 10 color choices. This is a lightweight smooth/slick fabric and is what I use on my boat.

Sharkskin Supreme: $425 - This is a new fabric, thicker version of Plus, but only comes in black, gray or blue.

Sunbrella: $593 - Comes in 12 color choices. This is a thick fabric like a bimini top or snap-on cover. It has a fabric/canvas feel to it.

This is a Westland exact-fit trailerable cover made specifically for your boat. These covers are built to order using fresh fabric, so you are NOT buying a cover that has been sitting on the shelf for the last 5-10 years. Westland builds OEM covers for many boat manufacturers, so these are the best. You choose the color. Free shipping. Free set of trailering/tie down straps. Allow 10-14 days for delivery from the time payment is received.

swatguy
12-17-2011, 01:40 PM
Off the to off my head those are around the same prices and exact same cover I was mentioning. Covers also are made not on the shelf

rgardjr1
12-20-2011, 01:51 PM
This is a Westland exact-fit trailerable cover made specifically for your boat. These covers are built to order using fresh fabric, so you are NOT buying a cover that has been sitting on the shelf for the last 5-10 years. Westland builds OEM covers for many boat manufacturers, so these are the best. You choose the color. Free shipping. Free set of trailering/tie down straps. Allow 10-14 days for delivery from the time payment is received.

Sounds like a good deal. I still have a new factory cover that I just started using last summer, but I'm thinking it might be time for an upgrade. My boat floats in the slip a couple of month during the summer and the cover is the only protection it gets from the elements.

BrooksfamX2
12-20-2011, 01:54 PM
Sounds like a good deal. I still have a new factory cover that I just started using last summer, but I'm thinking it might be time for an upgrade. My boat floats in the slip a couple of month during the summer and the cover is the only protection it gets from the elements.

I want a factory cover. You want to sell yours? Is it in good shape?

rgardjr1
12-20-2011, 02:22 PM
I want a factory cover. You want to sell yours? Is it in good shape?

The 2006 tower is different than your 2007 so it won't work. I've bought 3 of the factory covers off of Ebay & here since I've owned my boat. The first one was taken out of service last summer after four years. I thought i had two spares, but it turned out that one was for the 2007 and up boats and I sold it to a member here. That being said I paid between $100 and $150 for the 3 factory covers I bought-two of them were brand new. So if you can wait and keep your eyes open around here or Ebay you can pick the factory covers up cheap. I really like the fit of the factory cover-just wish they were made of something better than Surlast.

BrooksfamX2
12-20-2011, 03:30 PM
Thanks rg....I wint need one till spring so I'll keep looking.