PDA

View Full Version : Century Resorter

Bouyhead
07-20-2011, 08:12 AM
Anyone have any firsthand experience/info on the Century Resorter. I'm only interested in the fiberglass models which came out in the late 60's. Heres a couple of pics.

Cruising the lake with the wife within easy reach on that full bench seat seems pretty cool.
I'm planning on looking at a couple of boats in N.H. when I go up in August for two weeks. Not looking for a fully restored boat, but something in between decent boat and a basket case that still runs. How do these boats boats ride in the chop? I'm assuming better than my 96' PS 190. From some of the pics Iv'e seen it looks like a semi V hull. Any info or things to look out for?

Thanks.

Jim@BAWS
07-20-2011, 08:26 AM
Well...having driven, skied and worked on the older ones...they are a piece of inboard history.
There is alot to look for. Rotted wood is key. Especially in the stringers. Use a little pick, dentist tool to check for rot. I have someone I have asked to chime in on this. Until last year he owned a wooden resorter. Partil fiberglass. patial wood. The boat itself won the Syracuse Show. IT now resides in Rochester NY.

The side by side bench seat is pretty cool for cruises with the bride. Hope you get one

Jim@BAWS

SkiDog
07-20-2011, 09:37 AM
Well...havong driven, skied and worked on the older ones...they are a piece of inboard history.
There is alot to look for. Rotted wood is key. Especially in the stringers. Use a little pick, dentist tool to check for rot. I have someone I have asked to chime in on this. Until last year he owned a wooden resorter. Partil fiberglass. patial wood. The boat itself won the Syracuse Show. IT now resides in Rochester NY.

The side by side bench seat is pretty cool for cruises with the bride. Hope you get one

Jim@BAWS

Yea, a lot you can do on that bench seat!:D:D

rgardjr1
07-20-2011, 10:37 AM
My father-in-law has a 1954 Resorter that he restored along with his friend back in the early 90's. It was a basket case that belonged to a childhood friend. They learned a big lesson on that restoration. The boat was just too far gone to make any financial sense to restore, but they had gotten too far into it to turn back. I don't remember the final tally of hours and dollars, but there was enough money spent that they could have bought one completely restored (not even considering the hours that they put into the restoration). They did much better on the next project a 1958 Coronado. The Resorter is in the shop at our plant getting the bottom freshened up and the motor rebuilt right now. My ten year old daughter was skiing behind the Resorter last summer just like her grandmother did when she was that age.

east tx skier
07-20-2011, 11:16 AM
My local dealer had an old Century in for some restoration work a couple of years ago. I recall its being a fiberglass model. Nice looking boat! Sorry I don't have anything helpful to your request to add.

Kevin 89MC
07-20-2011, 01:37 PM
My uncle has a Resorter, although I think it is newer, maybe from the 80's if they still made them then. It is a cool boat, has a 454 I believe. Quite a nice rumble at all speeds. It is really good at handling large waves, and it throws up a decent wakeboard wake. Would never want to ski behind it though. He loves it, and has had very little go wrong with it I believe. Good luck, they are sweet boats!
Kevin

Finnsdad
07-21-2011, 10:27 PM
My dad sold his 72 Resorter this spring. He was the 2nd owner, had it since '88. It was in really nice shape, original interior and freshly rebuilt original mopar 340. Man that boat was fun, straight copper exhaust was load as hell. He sold it for $9000 to an antique boat collector.

bturner2
07-22-2011, 07:10 AM
No bench seat but another boat to consider is the Century Arabian.....

http://boatspotter.com/Page.aspx/diid/622858/list/InventoryList/pageId/4610/view/Details/1976-Century-Arabian-200.aspx

Dean Witmer
07-22-2011, 08:18 PM
My boat was a 1968 fully restored Resorter. That was the first us waterski certified tow boat. There is some real history here. The resorter hull is a great performer. Mine had a bored and stroked Ford 352. No not a 351. The 352 was the Ford Interceptor, a cop motor. Mine toped out around 50mph with about 285 hp. The fiberglass resorter is a bit heavier so not as fast, but still a great boat. They are available in good shape for not a lot of money. A real classic without the work of wood. If you are going to ski behind the boat be sure it has a ski pylon. They were always a option on Centurys. It's a classic you will be proud to own.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-22-2011, 10:32 PM
The Ford 352 was a FE series big block. this was one size up from the smallest displacement of the class including the 332, 352, 360, 390, 406, 410, 427, 428.

Bouyhead
07-25-2011, 07:19 AM
Thanks for input guys. Looks like I can get into some trouble if I look and go for a ride in one of the boats that are for sale! There is a few for sale in N.H. priced $3950 to about $7500. Not expecting much, but you know what those test rides can do.

fstaslp
08-11-2011, 12:56 PM
Here is one in Indiana:

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/boa/2535390035.html

PA Prostar
08-11-2011, 01:43 PM
I learned to ski/drive in this 1952 resorter. Had the biggest wake on the lake up to a few years ago. Now there's an I/O that has that title. I love my MC, but I'll be honest - there's NOTHING in this world like a ride in this boat. It ride's higher, throws a much better looking spray, and the sound is totally unique. You can hear this boat coming (and know it's this boat) before you see it. Many great memories and much love for this boat.

I know it's prior to the era you are looking for - but how many Century Resorter threads are there going to be on Teamtalk?

tph
08-11-2011, 02:21 PM
Not a Resorter, but an interesting boat none the less. I saw one of these yesterday and talked to the owner. It was a "barn find" in the Chicago area. When he got the boat, the fins had been sawed off and a pylon installed for skiing. He said there are only 7 of these still in existence. It's interesting how much they patterned the boats after cars of the same era.

fstaslp
08-11-2011, 02:25 PM
Interesting water test. I wonder if he tied off to the diving board to test the forward gears.

vision
08-11-2011, 02:26 PM
OK, I give. How did he launch the boat in his pool?

bobx1
08-11-2011, 02:32 PM

Maybe it ended up in there after a night of partying???

vision
08-11-2011, 03:01 PM
I guess equally as important, how the heck is he going to get it out of his pool? A good winch and a ramp that ends at his trailer?

Could you imagine waking up one Sunday morning, coffee in your hand, you slide open the back door and walk onto to your pool side deck, and you notice your X-star in the pool. That is a Hang Over moment.

setidball
08-11-2011, 04:17 PM
Drop the coffee, blink a couple of times, rub your eyes, turn around and go back to bed! :D

Double D
08-11-2011, 04:49 PM

I GOTS TO KNOW!!!!

tph
08-11-2011, 07:43 PM
How about this beauty:

curtish
08-12-2011, 12:59 AM
Drop the coffee, blink a couple of times, rub your eyes, turn around and go back to bed! :D

Are you kidding me? I'd hop in and fire up the tunes!