PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Stars & Stripes "HELP"

ssg_johnson07
07-20-2011, 09:11 AM
I have a 1985 Stars & Stripes with a 351W and I am looking to restore the engine and transmission. Is there a site or buisness that specializes in replacement parts for the transmission. I am not even real sure what type of tranny it is but i know it is slipping and has alot of rust on the outside. I want to restore this boat as I know it was and will be a beautiful boat.

PLEASE ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATFULY ACCEPTED

thatsmrmastercraft
07-20-2011, 09:39 AM
Get in touch with the guys at SKIDIM.

http://www.skidim.com/

ssg_johnson07
07-20-2011, 03:45 PM
this is the trany in my boat. Can anyone help me to identify what type it is?

tph
07-20-2011, 05:00 PM
this is the trany in my boat. Can anyone help me to identify what type it is?

Looks like a Borg Warner Velvet Drive Powerslot Transmission 1.52:1 Ratio. There should be a metal tag on it with the info.

oxberger
07-20-2011, 05:12 PM
ssg, where in the south are you? I'm in Murfreesboro, TN. If you're close I'd be willing to give you a hand. I have an '85 I'm going to restore too. What color is yours and what's with the duct tape on the exhaust hose and THAT wiring? Can't help with the id on the transmission, my tag isn't there, but yours looks like mine.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-20-2011, 05:37 PM
Looks like a Borg Warner Velvet Drive Powerslot Transmission 1.52:1 Ratio. There should be a metal tag on it with the info.

tph has it right.

WFO MasterCraft
07-20-2011, 05:50 PM
I have a 1985 S&S and mine is a 1.52:1 but there is also a 1:1 that might have come in your boat. There should be a name plate on the tranny somewhere that has 70C or 71C on it. The 1:1 and 1.52:1 are the same except the 1.52:1 has an added gear reducer in the back of the 1:1.

Please don't pay anyone to rebuild the tranny, I have a 68 page PDF format service manual that I downloaded from Chris-Craft for the 70C and 71C trannys. I went back to the link and it looks like you have to pay some membership fee to download stuff. If no one has it and it isn't uploaded here, tell me how to upload it and I'll gladly share it cause I got it for free.:D

It will save you around $2k for a rebuild or $2.7k for purchasing a rebuilt one. If you buy a tranny these days will be a 72C.

I used www.SKIDIM.com for my motor and tranny rebuild and they were great. Their prices are reasonable and their customer service was great. They accidentally sent me the wrong part so I called them and they overnighted the right part with a postage paid return package for free. It was a gasket set for the tranny so the shipping charges were minimal but if it was a larger part I imagine they would expedite the shipping as much as they can.

Here is the link I originally downloaded the tranny manual from:
http://www.ccmanuals.crosswinds.net/

Good Luck,

CantRepeat
07-20-2011, 06:16 PM
I'm thinking that is a 72C.

tph
07-20-2011, 08:05 PM
The 1:1 and 1.52:1 are the same except the 1.52:1 has an added gear reducer in the back of the 1:1.
[/QUOTE]

I think that reducer is visible in the picture that was posted.

03geetee
07-20-2011, 11:40 PM
That is a powerslot tranny fo sho.

JTR

ssg_johnson07
07-21-2011, 08:14 AM
yea I bought this boat for a good price ($2500.00) knowing that it needed some work. I am a do-it-your-self kinda guy and have rebuilt a few motors in my time but never a marine motor and never attempted a trany of any kind. This is a classic Boat and i just know that beeing a mastercraft it was built to last. The previous owner had never realy taken care of it and did some real shotty work on it. Thanks to every one that has helped thus far.

WFO, A copy of that manual would be awsome. I will try to find it on line but i may have you e-mail it to me if it is possable. Manuals are a mechanics best friend :)

here are some pics of the boat!

mayo93prostar
07-21-2011, 08:25 AM
ssg, the boat looks like it is in pretty good shape. I used to own a 1982 that my neighbor now owns (skiid behind it last night). He just had the front and rear seals replaced in the tranny.
the trailer is not original mastercraft trailer but it looks decent, the tie downs on the front top deck are not original. I agree with tph on tranny, i.e. it is powerslot. the identification tag should be on top of the the tranny near where the red/black hose connects to the perko flush adapter. it looks like it is painted over. the numbers should be stamped in it. you may have to wire brush it some to see numbers but be careful, there is other information on the tag that is printed so try to remove paint without removing all info. 85 has fiberglass stringers so that is good. skidim is great for parts and do not be afraid to call them, great technical knowledge and service. the have a book catalog that they can send you that is helpful with exploded diagrams of engines and trannys in the back. ask them for it. good luck and keep the classics alive.

ssg_johnson07
07-21-2011, 08:48 AM
Thanks May 08,
I am brand new to this forum and have gotten a great warm response and no dought will use this site through out this whole process. I will try to take as many pics as i can through the process and give back to this site as much as possable. Who knows? There may be another guy that learns a little something from my learning process. I am going to start the project as soon as I return to the states. I am ordering parts that i know I need and will get the rest as i find out the correct parts in the process. Cant wait to bring this old beauty back to life and watch it pur across the water.

WFO MasterCraft
07-21-2011, 05:41 PM
Is there a place that I can upload that manual so I don't have to email it around to everyone that wants it? I don't mind it but it would be easier to upload it once.

Slinkyredfoot
07-21-2011, 06:02 PM
Is there a place that I can upload that manual so I don't have to email it around to everyone that wants it? I don't mind it but it would be easier to upload it once.

I have an entire 351PC engine manual if you need it on a pdf file. No strings attached:D

WilliM1940
07-21-2011, 06:17 PM
The mechanical manuals you need are here for download:

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/reference/manuals.asp

east tx skier
07-21-2011, 06:58 PM
Looks like the 1.52:1 to me. I don't think CC ever used a 1.52:1.

-V-
07-21-2011, 07:55 PM
It's nice to see fellow Soldiers on here. Make sure you take care of the younger ones and let them enjoy it to.
Welcome to TT.
If you need anything let me know, I am stationed in Cleveland right now, but I was at Hood from 00-06, nice place, or should insay the "great" place, and I was also at Sam Houston. If you want to know some good places to camp and go to, let me know.

-V-