PDA

View Full Version : possible purchase 2001 X-30 96hrs

bzettler83
07-19-2011, 06:12 PM
Just started looking at Mastercraft recently as an upgrade to my current boat. The wife and I have a Yamaha AR210 which is certainly not a wake board boat but we have had a lot of fun over the last three years and put it up for sale.

I have been checking the web for good deals and I came across a 2001 Mastercraft X-30 with only 96 HRS for 25k. Seems to be in incredble shape for a 10yr old boat but I dont want to take the plunge and be disappointed in performance. This is towards the low end of my price point, but if the boat will do the job and looks good, why not.

THis X-30 has the upgraded 330hp 5.7L engine, and has a 400lb ballast system which seems a little light.

What are you opinions on this boat, and are there any upgrades I MUST have?

willyt
07-19-2011, 06:54 PM
there are lots of people on here that would love to help you with your boat purchase (as we all like to pretend we're currently shopping). BUT we need more information...
Salt water use?
Original engine?
upolstery condition?
seller's experience?
general condition of the boat...pictures?
Prop?
Trailer condition?
original fuel pump?
winterization done by dealer?
Oil changes?
Full list of options?

first pass looking at the information... 96 hours seems unnaturally low for a 01. I have 10x that number on my 05.

bzettler83
07-19-2011, 07:02 PM
I am looking for more information on the wakeboarding performance of the boat...

This boat is in excellent condition, not a single blemish interior or exterior. The boat was just serviced and inspected by the dealer and everything checked out.

I will take a test run on Saturday if things work out well.

The story the owner gave was that the boat has been sitting for 6 years and only run recently at the dealer and to the lake once to prepare it for sale. Aparently he did a 100 HR service with in the last month to prepare it for the sale.

PLease provide as much information as possible, and any question you feel I should ask the seller.

Jerseydave
07-19-2011, 08:58 PM
I had an '03 Maristar 230 (same as X-30) so here is my take on it.

Lots of seating and storage space
Tower with board racks in '03 were different.....clamp-style racks. I don't think your boat will have these. They worked well but if they break parts are hard to find. Hopefully yours has finger racks with bungees.
Great performance for wakeboarding, although you may have to re-prop it for extra ballast.
Boat porpoises at higher speeds, a wake plate would remedy this.

400# of ballast isn't much. For a better wake use at least 2 400# sacs in rear lockers and a 750 sac in the walkway. (or similar setup)

The boat has no tracking fins so it tends to slide a little around turns. Coming from a jetboat this boat will handle 500 times better than your old one.

Make sure you have PerfectPass. The newer GPS based system is awesome.

kskonn
07-19-2011, 11:02 PM
I have an o3 x30 and after putting on an acme prop I get a great wakeboarding wake, plenty of power and great hole shot. My boat came with 1100 lbs of ballast I assume that was a change between the years. Definitely want Perfect pass, good wakeboard racks, etc... Boat has plenty of space for a lot of people, tons of storage etc... I would say that if the boat sat for 6 years you are going to run into some issues, but it looks like at the price you would pay you would have some money to cover any issues.

more info would help, and a lot of people on here will be able to give you some good info.

definitely get a compression test, check for saltwater use, check the trailer brakes and tires since they have been sitting.

Jeff d
07-19-2011, 11:05 PM
I also have a 230 VRS and it's great for wakeboarding. 400 lbs of ballast isn't much but will firm up the wake a little for beginners. I run 2,700 lbs in mine.

The boat sounds like a buy if it's in good working order.

bzettler83
07-20-2011, 12:09 AM
Do I have many options in updating the factory ballast...can the factory bags simply be replaced with larger bags?

Jerseydave
07-20-2011, 03:50 AM
Do I have many options in updating the factory ballast...can the factory bags simply be replaced with larger bags?

If you have hard tanks in the rear, you can replace them with (2) 750# bags or smaller if you wish. Lots of X1 owners do this. Plumb the bags into the system and they will fill/empty with the on-board pumps.

See what's in the ski locker under the floor. You could always install a fatsac in there too.
www.wakemakers.com sells all different size sacs.

bzettler83
07-20-2011, 04:52 PM
bump.... any more info on an X-30

Thrall
07-20-2011, 06:22 PM
Have the drivetrain checked out and test drive it for a long time to make sure it doesn't have any issues from sitting. If it's solid, you got a new boat for $25k for the most part.
If it was stored indoors the whole time in AZ, I'd expect very few problems, other than replace the raw water impeller immediately and the ballast impellers as well.
Was 01 one of the years with the poor quality vinyl? If so, knock that off the price because you likely won't get good service life out of the interior. Many threads on the vinyl, do a search here.
DOes it have PP and a good stereo? That will cost some $$$ if you need to add it.

MC4SNETS
07-21-2011, 12:51 AM
Was 01 one of the years with the poor quality vinyl? If so, knock that off the price because you likely won't get good service life out of the interior. Many threads on the vinyl, do a search here.

My '01 210 was stored indoors for the first 9 years of it's life. It's been stored with a cover and under a carport since I have had it. I don't have the vinyl issues that I have seen on some posts (splitting at the threads). I would say inspect the vinyl carefully for the beginnings of this issue. If it has the issue badly, you will see it immediately. My vinyl has no cracking/splitting at the stitches. 2001 Maristar 210.

Sounds like a good buy. My 210 is a great wakeboard hull out of the box with no ballast.....we are entry level riders. I have two 750 lb sacks for the rear lockers....that makes a large, clean ramp on the wake.

bzettler83
07-21-2011, 02:55 PM
Thank you for all the info , I am going to check it out this Saturday... It will be a fairly long drive but I think its worth it....

I am jsut concerned that technology has come such a long way over the years, I dont want to regret the decision....

I plan to upgrade the stereo immediately, and upgrade the ballast right away, as well as a new prop and possible wake plate. Just trying to get all my ducks in a row and make a good decision.

kskonn
07-21-2011, 03:30 PM
The technology really has not changed much. There are some more advanced versions of technology but as far as ballast, stereo, motors etc... not much has really changed.

blakehardesty
07-21-2011, 03:47 PM
After reading all the complaining about the BIG system I would rather have regular guages anyways. It will save you some down the road headaches.