PDA

View Full Version : Steering is tight

krra1
07-19-2011, 03:10 PM
Starting to have trouble steering my old 1990 Maristar 210. This past weekend it started to become difficult to turn to the left (only left). Turning to the right is fine. Is there a cable that can be greased or tightened or does this have something to do with the prop? When driving straight I can let go of the wheel and the boat does not turn, it remains straight. Any help that can be provided would be great. Thanks.

cbryan70
07-19-2011, 03:12 PM
you can try to grease the rudder and cable there should be fittings near the back of the boat. Best bet is to just replace the cable.

airdrew99
07-19-2011, 04:31 PM
If your '90 Maristar is like the '91 Prostar I had, there will be a grease fitting on the steering linkage about 1-2 feet in front of the stern. I made the mistake of thinking the grease fitting was broken because the check valve/ball was not there. So I replaced it with a new grease fitting and greased it. Then the steering wouldn't move at all. Turns out the grease was locking up the linkage (like a liquid lock but with grease). I re-installed the original grease fitting and the steering was kind of difficult at first. As I turned the wheel left and right, I noticed a stream of grease shooting out of the grease fitting (about 3' in the air). After turning full left and right a few times, the steering was smooth as silk. Lesson learned for me.

Drew

MCPS205
07-19-2011, 05:08 PM
Is your rudder loose at all? Your rudder could be binding in the rudder port from wearing and this could cause the stiff steering. If the steering is smooth and easy on the trailer, I would check here first. You could also try disconnecting the rudder and then see how easy the steering is.

If you are sure it's the cable, like I was, this is what I did:

After reading another forum, I took a 3' section of 1" vinyl tubing and hose clamped it over the end of the steering cable sleeve, after disconnecting it from the rudder. I then filled the hose with ATF, hose clamped an air compressor fitting to the end of the vinyl tube, and attached to the compressor. The idea here is to push the ATF through the steering cable from one end to the other. I set the pressure low to start (about 30psi) and worked the steering wheel back and forth a couple of hundred times slowly turning the pressure up. At the end I had the pressure up to 75psi. I did this until the ATF started dripping from helm. Make sure you have some rags handy. I cannot advocate on how appropriate this method is as I have read varying responses to this online, but it worked for me.

ShamrockIV
07-19-2011, 05:36 PM
Cable Replacement

02ProstarSammyD
07-21-2011, 03:32 PM
If it turns out to be the cable they are not that awfully pricey and easy to install in an hour

thatsmrmastercraft
07-21-2011, 03:36 PM
Disconnect at the rudder. If still hard to turn it's time to replace the cable. SKIDIM has what you need.

Wouter
07-22-2011, 05:53 AM
Usually is just the bolt at the back of the steering column in my case (1990 prostar 190)...

krra1
07-22-2011, 06:50 AM
Wouter,
When you say back of steering column do you mean under the steering wheel or down near where the cables attach to the prop. Also, is the bolt striped, too loose or tight?

Wouter
08-01-2011, 01:42 PM
Wouter,
When you say back of steering column do you mean under the steering wheel or down near where the cables attach to the prop. Also, is the bolt striped, too loose or tight?

Sorry, been away skiing. In my case (but I m guessing it would be the same for your boat since it's close in age) it's the bolt at the back of the steering column under the dash where the steering column connects to the horizontal part with teeth (don't know how this part is called) that transfers the motion of the wheel to thr rudder cables. For lack of a better definition it's a bolt you can feel with your hand under the dash when sitting in the driver seat. Hope it helps?!:confused:
If you losen bolt: steering loosens, if you tighten it, steering tightens...

cav14
08-08-2011, 12:29 PM
I have the same problem ('02 X-Star), but only when at speed. When on the trailer or idling, the steering is light both directions. Is it binding like MCPS suggested? How can I check that? The problem started after I dinged the prop and replaced it, now turning left is heavy.

oldairboater
08-08-2011, 09:36 PM
+1 The best answer. A little grease and if it doesn't get better--------new cable. There is no restoring these cables and why waste any more time farting with it. If it is bad change it. Skidim knows there stuff.Disconnect at the rudder. If still hard to turn it's time to replace the cable. SKIDIM has what you need.