PDA

View Full Version : Can I improve my weight balance?

FourFourty
07-19-2011, 09:15 AM
I seem to be having a hard time keeping a neutral weight balance in my boat (11 X25). I move people around till I have a clean lip on both sides, but the slightest thing throws it off..... Like when the boarder is outside of the wake on either side (not carving hard), it will dirty up the opposite lip. Not just a little. It really washes out pretty bad. Also, I always need more weight on the port side for some reason..... Like 300lbs more. It just seems that it is a very fine line to keep both wakes clean.

Any advice? Would more weight in the front help? I should also mention that a lot of us are not advanced enough to be pulled at 20-23 mph. One of my buddys likes being tugged at 22mph, and It is a lot easier to keep a great wake for him...... The rest of us are in the 17-19mph range.

vision
07-19-2011, 09:47 AM
The more ballast, people or water, you have, the more the wake will wash at slower speeds. If you are going to run at low speeds, make sure to have no extra ballast. Move people forward to help decrease white wash as well.

If you are having to place 300lbs more ballast on one side, I would manually check the position of your trim tabs, and make sure that your ballast tanks are either completely full or empty. Ballast gauges and trim tab position sensors are not always accurate.

I ride in a friends 2011 x-25 and its wake is even and not particularly sensitive to side to side weight shifts.

Trig2275
07-19-2011, 09:56 AM
I think you're going too slow. The slower you go the more sensative the wake is going to be. The faster you go, the harder the wake is going to be and the slower you go the softer it will be. That's why it is more sensative going slow. Different boats have a clean wake at different speeds depending on the hull and weight. You said that you have to keep 300#'s more on the port side to keep it balanced.... how much ballast are you running? Really if your ability level right now is to ride in the 17-19mph range, you shouldn't really run any ballast in my opinion. Ride empty until you're comfortable jumping wake 2 wake at 21-22mph and go from there.

MIskier
07-19-2011, 10:41 AM
At 17mph that hull is barely generating enough lift to stay on plane which is the biggest reason for the weight sensitivity as the other posters stated you should be running zero ballast and keep a couple of people up in the bow (not the whole crew though).

FourFourty
07-19-2011, 10:47 AM
I am not running any ballast, unless I am low on passengers. At that point, I only fill the port tank up until I get a balanced wake.... I will try going faster, and see what happens. I dont have a problem getting great pop off the wake at 19mph with 0 ballast and 6-8 people in the boat. I mostly keep it at a slower speed because I have no need to go faster.... I am getting a little old to keep getting concusions. I am 32 years old, and will never be looking to stick anything like a 1080 or any other super big trick.

I will post my clips from sunday when I get home from work. You guys might notice something that I dont. I have a couple good crashes in them, but I may edit them out 8p.

I am not a beginner boarder. I am, however, a newbie with inboards. My jet boat had a crappy wake, but it was consistently crappy. I am in heaven with my new wake, even if i have a hard time balancing it :D I am just hoping to get better balance out of it. It sounds like I gotta speed back up again, and stop being such a puss!! In my defense, I got knocked out on my second run this year. I am glad the driver noticed so fast, because I didnt wake up for a few minutes.

jbkriss
07-19-2011, 11:58 AM
440, my recommendation to avoid hard falls- more wakesurfing. You have the best boat in the MC line to do it.

krutzmart
07-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Your boat has a left hand prop rotation.
Thus the starboard wake is just better because of the prop direction.
I have lead weight all over the inside of my boat. Because of my stereo (4-12 subs,amps,ect.) under pass dash I have like 200 lbs extra on my starboard side to balance it out.
You will have to play around with the weight, you can use flat gym plates 45lbs, I've used them in the past. They may rust, but they work and don't take up storage. Neither does lead bags. 6"x12" per 50 lbs bag or so