PDA

View Full Version : 1997 Prostar 205 Transmission Linkage

eef
07-19-2011, 02:14 AM
Somehow or another my transmission linkage wore through the shielding and bumped up against the positive terminal on my alternator. Needless to say, the moments immediately after were quite eventful.

Long story short, I'm trying to find a replacement for the transmission linkage but I'm having trouble figuring out what I should be looking for. I've seen some sites that sell it by the foot and others that seem to carry cables for similar boats but don't specifically mention mine. Does anyone know where I could find a direct replacement, or maybe what length I would need for a '97 PS205?

Thanks!

G-Star
07-19-2011, 02:36 AM
Try SkiDim... they should be able to help you find the right control cable. http://www.skidim.com/

eef
07-31-2011, 01:45 AM
Thanks for the tip. They were very knowledgeable and got me the cable I needed.

I installed the cable today, and I'm having some trouble getting it adjusted properly. When I first installed it was kicking in and out of reverse just fine, then all of a sudden throwing it into reverse would kill the engine. Shortly thereafter throwing it into drive would kill the engine. I played with the adjustments and no matter what I would try the engine would die. I thought it may be throwing it into gear too quickly, like popping a clutch at idle, so I started very slowly getting it into reverse and to drive and eventually the problem went away. So, I took it around the lake once and now I can't get more than 30mph out of it and the RPMs wont go above ~3000. I checked the throttle cable and it's definitely getting WOT. Any ideas what might be causing this behavior?