PDA

View Full Version : Plug & Play ballast for X25

bjames
07-18-2011, 04:22 PM
Im looking at purchasing the plug and play ballast kit for my X25. Before I spend the $$$ I have 2 questions;

Is it worth it? Will the additional bags make much of a difference in terms of producing a good surf wake?

How do the plug and play bags vent? I see that you connect the bags to the fill/empy hose, but I dont see where you can connect the vent line so that the bags can vent out air as they are being filled.:confused:

Waterski-Marcoisland
07-18-2011, 07:03 PM
I bought the plug in play for my X25, #1 yes it does help the wake for surfing, quite a bit actually. #2 there are no vents for the bags, you have to watch them which is kinda cheap if you ask me. Second time using my starboard bag it ripped due to hitting the fiberglass angle in the rear compartment. I called FLY HIGH and Mike said I had to buy the whole new kit, just to replace the one bag that split right down the center. ($700 plus for the kit)
Nonetheless, Fly High has always been nothing but good to me; however, this kinda of blows....

I know for a fact that the bag was not overfilled....o well, I guess we'll see how this pans out.

Maybe Ill just use one of my old X2 sacs, they are about the same size. I will be running vent lines soon......!!!!!!!!

See pic.....:mad::mad::mad:

CantRepeat
07-18-2011, 07:07 PM
Then you need to add vents to the side of the boat and you wont blow out your sac! lol

Waterski-Marcoisland
07-18-2011, 07:10 PM
i will b e adding vents however it didnt blow due to being over filled, it simply rolls back and hits a rough area on the fiberglass..Cap
My sac blew yes- thanks for the observation..hehehe

Jerseydave
07-18-2011, 08:19 PM
i will b e adding vents however it didnt blow due to being over filled, it simply rolls back and hits a rough area on the fiberglass..Cap
My sac blew yes- thanks for the observation..hehehe

wakemakers.com has a 720 lb. sac for the x-star....maybe the same size as the one you need?
It measures 40" long X 22" X 22" $250 for one I believe.
Not only do you need vents for you sacs, but when you empty them it creates a strong vacuum in your hard tank.......be careful you don't damage that as well.

ShawnB
07-18-2011, 09:46 PM
Ok, two things.

1) Performance Ski and Surf in Orlando. They sell the 400# bags for the X25 lockers with fittings for 200 bucks.
http://www.perfski.com/Wakeboards/Wakeboard-Accessories/Fly-High-Pro-X-Series-V-Drive-Sacs-(set).html

2) The Plug and Play will disable certain features in the B.I.G. so make sure that the following are not important to you because they are factory disabled with he P&P:
-- Automatic Ballast Fill/Drain using Rider Profiles
-- Ballast Timers

The net effect of this is that you have to be extra vigilant when filling and emptying or else you will chew through a lot of impellers.

Waterski-Marcoisland
07-19-2011, 08:10 AM
There is no risk of chewing through impellers as if there are left on they will be shut down do to a thermo heat circuit. Yes auto ballast fill/drain option is deleted when you opt for the plug and play, kinda of sucks. Next time I will just plumb it old school, vent to bag and back to vent.

CantRepeat
07-19-2011, 08:24 AM
If you are looking to just add weight for surfing I would think the best way to add them, so you don't bypass current features, would be make it a stand alone addition.

IE, add a switch, relay, pump, thru-hull for the extra bags.

FourFourty
07-19-2011, 08:46 AM
If you are looking to just add weight for surfing I would think the best way to add them, so you don't bypass current features, would be make it a stand alone addition.

IE, add a switch, relay, pump, thru-hull for the extra bags.

That is my winter project..... I have mine piggy backed right now, But I want them stand alone, As I only fill the hard tanks for wakeboarding.

CantRepeat
07-19-2011, 08:53 AM
That is my winter project..... I have mine piggy backed right now, But I want them stand alone, As I only fill the hard tanks for wakeboarding.

In this thread I document and build a setup for a 4th pump.

Adding more pumps. (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=40934)

Probably the most important part of the thread is the wiring and parts list.

bjames
07-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the replies guy... one other question. Assuming I have the plug & play ballast connected, if I only choose to fill the hard tanks, then everything should work as if I didnt have the P&P ballast i.e. BIG display and rider recall settings. Right? Then to fill the P&P bags, I switch the toggels to P&P position and 'manually' fill the bags and maually vent then as well. Does this sound correct?

ShawnB
07-19-2011, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the replies guy... one other question. Assuming I have the plug & play ballast connected, if I only choose to fill the hard tanks, then everything should work as if I didnt have the P&P ballast i.e. BIG display and rider recall settings. Right? Then to fill the P&P bags, I switch the toggels to P&P position and 'manually' fill the bags and maually vent then as well. Does this sound correct?

This is what I was lead to believe but it is simply not the case. The wiring for the factory PNP module bypasses the timers which are used to control the auto-fill/empty. Therefore if the factory plug and play is installed, you are 100% manual fill and drain for both factory tanks and extra bags. The B.I.G. display will still show you [approximately] how full your hard tanks are but when you apply a rider settings, the ballast will not automatically do anything. Also if you want the PNP to vent through the factory overflows you will have to add that plumbing yourself.

My advice is: if the boat you are looking at has PnP already in it then it's not a bad setup. We can make a monster wake with our X25 for boarding and for surfing with the extra weight. If you're building a boat, skip the factory option (which will run you about $3500 when you factor in buying the bags) and build or have built a custom system for your needs.

jwardenjr
07-19-2011, 05:45 PM
I have been told by many people to pass on the PnP and add your own system for additional ballast.