PDA

View Full Version : 05 X-Star Steering Question

Kyle's_prostar205
07-18-2011, 04:21 PM
I am looking at a 2005 X-Star and I guess I never knew that MasterCraft started putting power assist steering on the X-Star in about 06-07. I am curious if this is true and how bad is it to drive a X-Star that does not have this feature? Can this feature be added if the boat does not have it? Thanks for the help and replies.

Kyle

Jerseydave
07-18-2011, 05:56 PM
Hydraulic steering is mostly for the saltwater series and the larger boats.

My x-star has 350 hours on it and still steers like new. If you are in fresh water you should have no worries.

What you need to know is in '05 the X-star rudder is the old smaller size. Upgrade your boat with the newer style large rudder, it will steer and handle much better.

Kyle's_prostar205
07-18-2011, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the input. I will check out the rudder.

Jerseydave
07-18-2011, 09:40 PM
Since your are looking at an '05 X-star, here's a couple more items to watch for:

Ballast impellers-install green ones if that has not been done yet
Brake calipers on trailer-some were known to not release, install Kodiak calipers
Oil bath hubs-replace the plastic caps with the new style aluminum ones
Fuel pump-common MC problem, has it been replaced yet?

Also some seat vinyl cracking has been known to occur on '01-'05 MC seats. I just purchased new skins for mine.

Where is the boat for sale that you're looking at? Do you have a link?

Kyle's_prostar205
07-19-2011, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the advice. Here is the link to it.

http://www.gettommys.com/Store/Boat/Pre-Owned-Boats/Mastercraft-X-Star-(2005).html

Jerseydave
07-19-2011, 03:22 PM
Looks alot like mine....my hull is white on the bottom and my interior is light grey.

Make sure you check those items I described. Look close at the seat vinyl of the rear seats, they crack around the stitching.

Kyle's_prostar205
07-19-2011, 03:27 PM
I will do that...Nice looking boat!

craig3972
07-19-2011, 07:23 PM
Since your are looking at an '05 X-star, here's a couple more items to watch for:

Ballast impellers-install green ones if that has not been done yet
Brake calipers on trailer-some were known to not release, install Kodiak calipers
Oil bath hubs-replace the plastic caps with the new style aluminum ones
Fuel pump-common MC problem, has it been replaced yet?

Also some seat vinyl cracking has been known to occur on '01-'05 MC seats. I just purchased new skins for mine.

Where is the boat for sale that you're looking at? Do you have a link?

I have all these problems on my 2006