PDA

View Full Version : Lifting my boat

WFO MasterCraft
07-18-2011, 03:07 PM
Can I really lift my 1985 S&S off of the trailer with the ring on the bow and the two on the transom? I want to do some welding and fiberglass repair on the trailer and I was trying to figure out a way to do it without paying a boat storage place to take the boat off and store in in their warehouse. Or, take it to the lake just up the road and pay for a marina spot. If I can do this, I will lift it off and rest it on Styrofoam blocks in my garage. Are there any tips out there on the best way to do this? Thanks for any input.

east tx skier
07-18-2011, 03:12 PM
As long as you are only lifting it temporarily, that's what those rings were designed for. Now, whether after over 20 years, they are still up to the job, that's a question that would require a bit more first hand inspection. I have heard of people resting boats on styrofoam blocks, carpet, tires, etc. Seeing pictures of this has always caused me to think that it would make me nervous were it my boat, but it seems to work just fine.

lazerhawk
07-21-2011, 01:14 AM
If you can borrow a few jacks you can lift the boat up, set it on blocks, pull forward until the trailer supports are about to hit the blocks, lift the boat again and move the blocks behind the trailer supports, and repeat until free.

WFO MasterCraft
07-21-2011, 03:45 AM
Sounds like what I had planned initially, and seem like the "safer" way considering the age of the boat.

JimN
07-21-2011, 04:00 AM
Can I really lift my 1985 S&S off of the trailer with the ring on the bow and the two on the transom? I want to do some welding and fiberglass repair on the trailer and I was trying to figure out a way to do it without paying a boat storage place to take the boat off and store in in their warehouse. Or, take it to the lake just up the road and pay for a marina spot. If I can do this, I will lift it off and rest it on Styrofoam blocks in my garage. Are there any tips out there on the best way to do this? Thanks for any input.

Rather than use the upper ring on a boat from '85, I would use a short nylon strap, passed through the bow ring used for trailering, brought up on both sides of the hull. If you have a chain hoist or an engine hoist, it will be easy enough to raise it enough. If you have both kinds of hoist, you can lift it in one shot and leave it hanging if you have a second nylon strap that's long enough to pass under the hull at the rear.

JohnE
07-21-2011, 09:11 AM
Shep has a nice documentation of getting his boat off the trailer in this thread: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=12550&highlight=restoration

Double D
07-21-2011, 09:23 AM
Right tools and right place to do it...

WFO MasterCraft
07-21-2011, 05:46 PM
What did you put on top of those cinder blocks? It looks like another brick but I know(hope) that isn't true.

woodrowskis
07-21-2011, 06:14 PM
I used them on my '86 top bow eye and two rear eyes.
Used a shop crane and a tow motor. I did set some stands up and lower the boat down next to them in case of a problem.
After lifting the boat, I recommend marking your trailer tire position on the ground before you move it so you can put the trailer in the exact spot.

Double D
07-21-2011, 06:22 PM
What did you put on top of those cinder blocks? It looks like another brick but I know(hope) that isn't true.

There is wood on the blocks. Also, they left the chains on so not all the weight was on the blocks or the chains...

woodrowskis
07-21-2011, 06:23 PM
I used them on my '86 top bow eye and two rear eyes.
Used a shop crane and a tow motor. I did set some stands up and lower the boat down next to them in case of a problem.
After lifting the boat, I recommend marking your trailer tire position on the ground before you move it so you can put the trailer in the exact spot.