PDA

View Full Version : Grinding noise when trying to Start

woodskier
07-27-2005, 10:56 AM
84 Starts and Stripes with Ford 351 engine. Just recently when I try to turn the engine over, I hear a awful slow grinding noise and it will not start. This only happens occasionally. Most times cranks right over. Thinking it must be the starter motor. Any ideas? Suggestions.

Got stuck on the lake last night and tried to move the drive belt slightly, and that seemed to work. Want to use it today so looking for short term, and long term solution

Thanks as always.

Cousin_Jeff
07-27-2005, 11:10 AM
Woodskier, Please take this for what it is worth. I am in no way a mechanic. I used to have an 84 and mine did something that sounds like what you are describing. Before you plunk down the money / effort of a new starter, you can try a new starter silioid pretty cheaply. I bought a new one at Auto Zone and it was just a few screws to change out. I can not gaurantee that this is your problem but for ~ $20 it may be worth a try vs. expense of a new starter and installation. Can't hurt anything and you are just out ~ $20 for something that probably could use updating.

dog paw
07-27-2005, 11:50 AM
If the starter is running and grinding (ford motor) the solinoid is working ok I would lean to the starter first. Make sure it has not damaged the flex plate (flywheel) I have seen the bendix hang on the armature shaft and not fully engauge, or it could be slipping itself It does make a nasty sound! As Jeff said it would me smart to replace the solinoid also I have been thru a couple on mine. They will fail as a click with no starter engagement or nothing at all with no warning

I am a mechanic and would never play one on TV :D

bigmac
07-27-2005, 11:52 AM
84 Starts and Stripes with Ford 351 engine. Just recently when I try to turn the engine over, I hear a awful slow grinding noise and it will not start. This only happens occasionally. Most times cranks right over. Thinking it must be the starter motor. Any ideas? Suggestions.

Got stuck on the lake last night and tried to move the drive belt slightly, and that seemed to work. Want to use it today so looking for short term, and long term solution

Thanks as always.

Solenoid failure is often a rapid "click-click-click-click" sound. A grinding noise may be a worn or broken Bendix gear on the starter, or if you're really unlucky, worn or broken teeth on the flywheel gear.

If it is an actual grinding noise, I'd pull the starter and look at the gear. I suppose it's possible that a bad solenoid might cause the Bendix gear to not fully engage the flywheeland grind, but if that's the case I'd be worried about the subsequent condition of the gear(s).

woodskier
07-28-2005, 11:48 AM
Great advice as always.

It is nice to have folks confirm my thoughts before I take expensive steps. Dropped off the starter this morning to a highly recommended shop. Sholuld have it reinstalled by Monday. I will let you all know how it turnred out.