PDA

View Full Version : well... it happened

Cguse13
07-18-2011, 09:24 AM
i am pretty sure all that was damaged was the prop. Whatever i hit i didnt hit it hard.Rudder looks like its in good shape, tracking fins look good, and hull looks good. can anyone else suggest things for me to look at when i replace the prop? What is the white stuff comming out of the carrier? it feels like a plastic.

Prop recomondations are open for a boat that boards half the time and holds drunken sailors the other half.

02ProstarSammyD
07-18-2011, 09:27 AM
Prop recomondations are open for a boat that boards half the time and holds drunken sailors the other half.

My recommendation would be to use anything other than that prop haha. Call eric at oj. PS I don't know what you hit but I would def qualify that as a decently hard hit.

JimN
07-18-2011, 09:42 AM
i am pretty sure all that was damaged was the prop. Whatever i hit i didnt hit it hard.Rudder looks like its in good shape, tracking fins look good, and hull looks good. can anyone else suggest things for me to look at when i replace the prop? What is the white stuff comming out of the carrier? it feels like a plastic.

The plastic is the bearing material and it probably melted when someone ran the engine in gear, out of the water. That wouldn't happen if the bearing was wet.

Cguse13
07-18-2011, 09:45 AM
i actually just got off the phone with eric's wife i think she said go with a 4 blade, i was wanting to talk to the folks at skidim about the teflon/plastic stuff... i might give you a hard hit, but barrly made a sound and didnt stop the boat. think it was a tree stump...not sure... just knew right away i fkd something up

erkoehler
07-18-2011, 09:49 AM
Get the bearings from OJ as well.

Cguse13
07-18-2011, 11:50 AM
how hard are the barrings to replace?

onejdgreen
07-18-2011, 11:52 AM
Ouch!!! I dont know how you didnt feel that??? I've dinged my prop, not that bad, and felt it...

TayMC197
07-18-2011, 11:58 AM
This is what I suggest looking at. place the boat in the water with the prop off... put it in gear and feel for vibration... That will help determine if the shaft is bent... Another method which I prefer is to take the shaft out and have it checked for trueness... looking at $50 probably. You can check where the shaft comes out of the hull to see if it is centered... also check the strut where the shaft goes in... if the shaft is pushing one side of the bushing harder than the other.. the strut could be bent... these are simple checks and also put the prop on and see how easy it is to turn it by hand... if it is hard then the strut can be bent out of allignment....

Any questions just call... I just went through this process... end results was a bent strut... shaft was straight...

Taylor
936-465-2763

Jerseydave
07-18-2011, 12:05 PM
Looks like you need a new strut bushing. You have to remove the shaft to do this anyway so get a machine shop to check for a bent shaft.....or borrow a dial indicator and check the shaft yourself after removing the prop. (turn shaft by hand with dial indicator on a smooth part of the shaft)