PDA

View Full Version : was almost killed today... NEED ADVICE

willyt
07-17-2011, 11:34 PM
sooo... great thread title right? Here's the story:

buddies and i put in @ new richmond ohio (on the ohio river) around noon today. have an absolute BLAST on the water - doubles with flips, lots of shenangins, etc. we motored all the way down to the licking river, which is extremely narrow (but a great riding spot). was pulling the last rider of the day out of the water, so we're just chilling off to the side of the river while he's taking off his board. out of freaking nowhere a barge pusher motors up on us at at least 15 mph (not pushing anything) and honks. plenty of room off to the side for him to get by... but he's headed right at us. Shows absolutely no intent of slowing down. we bust into emergency mode and pull the rider in the boat and get out of his way - THE BARGE PUSHER FREAKING CHANGES COURSE TO HIT US AGAIN! at this point we cant believe whats going on - so i WOT it to get by him and flip him the bird. THE BARGE PUSHER STOPS, TURNS AROUND, AND COMES AT US AGAIN! I WOT it down river to get by. call 911, the coast guard, fish and wildlife, etc. The most anyone did for me was take a report (which was the coast guard).

The barge pusher was the Susan E owned by mcginnis inc. I'm planning on calling the company tomorrow to try and get that driver fired. Anyone had similar experience, any recourse i have for this? This was completely unbelievable...

milehigh970
07-17-2011, 11:39 PM
Dude! ***!? That's no joke right there! I would be on the phone at 7am sharp! Call the local news channel too maybe?

ShawnB
07-18-2011, 12:53 AM
That's unreal. Hope you are able to get some kind of explanation from the company. I have used both my GoPro and tower cameras to track knuckleheads on the lake this season. Mostly for folks following too close or driving crazy -- nothing like this, though. Good luck.

bturner2
07-18-2011, 08:04 AM
With all the phones and cheap cameras we all seem to carry these days I hope you had the opportunity to capture some of this. Nothing like good footage to seal a complaint.

It always surprises me how stupid people can get when the get a bug up their butt about a certain person or group. I've seen some of the local Bass Masters get pretty bent out of shape with jet-skis and skiers over the past couple years and do things that were just plain dangerous.

Next time you're out riding and start to get mad about someone messing up your line or tearing up your water take a deep breath and remember this idiot.

JohnE
07-18-2011, 08:14 AM
I would be finding out who was operaing the barge have a face to face.

1redTA
07-18-2011, 08:17 AM
just remember, the tug boat will say he was limited to navigable waters and you happened to be in front of him. When I worked on a tug we had the same rights has any other boat unless we had tow (barges)

SWeaver
07-18-2011, 08:47 AM
Search "gun thread".

psychobilly
07-18-2011, 09:07 AM
just remember, the tug boat will say he was limited to navigable waters and you happened to be in front of him. When I worked on a tug we had the same rights has any other boat unless we had tow (barges)

But, since the tow boat didn't have a barge, and he wasn't "in tow" and Willyt was, since he had a man in the water, willyt may be in the right. Not sure how that works as I ain't got my Capts license.

Call the local news as someone else recommended!!! I can understand if he was in tow, but not "light boat", there was no call for that.

Kyle
07-18-2011, 09:08 AM
More than likely the port prop spins right hand or clockwise and the starboard one spins counter clockwise or left hand. Next time you are out use a prop fouler like wale wars.

Or do probably what I would do. Find out where the boat is docked. Either chain the two props together and use a good chain and a good lock or a link the screws together and is strong and the Susan E will be done for a while.

Option 2 remove the prop nuts and when it's pushing a barge a prop or both props will come off and leave mr idiot stranded costing the company money and time. Also still responsible for the barge load.

Get scuba certified. You can have loads of fun diving without being on vacation.

Kyle
07-18-2011, 09:10 AM
The reason for above post is news channels, police, wild life dept, etc won't do chit. Sometimes it's just better to take matters into your own hands.

ski_king
07-18-2011, 09:47 AM
I have nothing to add, but I have boated around tug traffic all my life and never heard of anything like this. Sounds like the tug captain had some sort of bug up his but or was drunk or both.

I found this picture of the same tug.
http://www.towboatgallery.com/uploads/Susan_E(20070714)RED-P1030817.JPG

Kyle
07-18-2011, 09:55 AM
Someone needs to loop a chain around the prop and a dock pylon and let the tug try to drive off. Either tear up the wheel or tear down the dock.

I'm sure a prop would be close to 2k to 5k each for that boat or even more.

Rent a rebreather set up. You can scuba in and out and no one can follow your bubbles.

This boat waking the small boat with a clamp on is dangerous. How rude

thatsmrmastercraft
07-18-2011, 10:00 AM
More than likely the port prop spins right hand or clockwise and the starboard one spins counter clockwise or left hand. Next time you are out use a prop fouler like wale wars.

Or do probably what I would do. Find out where the boat is docked. Either chain the two props together and use a good chain and a good lock or a link the screws together and is strong and the Susan E will be done for a while.

Option 2 remove the prop nuts and when it's pushing a barge a prop or both props will come off and leave mr idiot stranded costing the company money and time. Also still responsible for the barge load.

Get scuba certified. You can have loads of fun diving without being on vacation.

And then get caught and go to jail! Which is exactly where you would belong after doing intentional criminal damage. Suggesting that someone do something like this has no business on this forum. A proper edit would be the correct thing to do.

With that said, getting this moron fired would be great. Following up with the Coast Guard to have his Capt. license revoked would be icing on the cake.

Kyle
07-18-2011, 10:07 AM
And then get caught and go to jail! Which is exactly where you would belong after doing intentional criminal damage. Suggesting that someone do something like this has no business on this forum. A proper edit would be the correct thing to do.

With that said, getting this moron fired would be great. Following up with the Coast Guard to have his Capt. license revoked would be icing on the cake.

I guarantee the op would not do what I suggested.

I also know 100% nothing would come of it if he sat on the phone all day and called every authority or news station. It's he said she said and no one will care to spend any time. I'm sorry that everyone on this waterway has to deal with this jack wagon and be forced to put up with his attitude.

I'm 95% joking about chaining his boat too.

Guess there is more than one person out there who woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning...

thatsmrmastercraft
07-18-2011, 10:17 AM
I guarantee the op would not do what I suggested.

I also know 100% nothing would come of it if he sat on the phone all day and called every authority or news station. It's he said she said and no one will care to spend any time. I'm sorry that everyone on this waterway has to deal with this jack wagon and be forced to put up with his attitude.

Guess there is more than one person out there who woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning...

I've been on this site long enough to know you were "95% joking about chaining his boat". It's the other people on here that don't know you, and those of us that think that this doesn't belong on an open forum. There are other forums out there for this kind of post. Nothing personal, I just want to ensure this great forum continues as is.

TxsRiverRat
07-18-2011, 10:37 AM

LMFAO! No you're not! You know damn well you and I would be at the scuba shop renting tanks the next day and discussing logistics! Buwahahahaha

Kyle, you've come up with some damn good revenge plots before, but this almost made me spew my coffee (literally)!

MC

broncotw
07-18-2011, 10:37 AM
Wow! That's a scary story! Hard to think someone in charge of a vessel which potentially could do a lot of damage would have that mind set! My initial thought is the captain was under the influence of something illegal combind with a bad attitude! Personally, I would find out where this boat was docked and I would be at the facility having a talk with someone..... Please keep us posted......

ski_king
07-18-2011, 10:45 AM
I think Rickey Lee Griffith sould be getting a call, email or visit.

92 190 PS
07-18-2011, 10:48 AM
:popcorn::popcorn:

Towboats Rescue Runaway Restaurant

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Jeff Ruby’s Waterfront restaurant and barge being pushed back upriver by C&B Marine towboats. Photo courtesy C&B Marine.

By Raina Clark
On Friday, March 11, Jeff Ruby’s Waterfront restaurant, situated on a barge on the Ohio River, broke loose from its moorings and began floating down river, with diners trapped onboard, toward the Clay Wade Bailey Bridge. According to local media the barge floated 85 feet downriver and was saved from hitting the bridge by a mooring cable that was still attached.
The restaurant is two miles from where McGinnis Inc. keeps its Cincinnati fleet, but some of the company’s towboats were already working in a dock just upriver from the restaurant. Doug Hedrick, Manager of Marine Operations, Cincinnati Division, at McGinnis, said that just a few minutes later, “about 10:15 p.m., we got a call that the Waterfront restaurant had broke away … We were there within 10 minutes.”
The MV Susan E McGinnis arrived on the scene first. “We came up underneath of it, [downriver] and took some pressure off of it,” Hedrick said, referring to the remaining mooring line that was holding the restaurant back from the bridge. Then the boat pushed the restaurant barge toward shore. A second tug, the MV Vivian McGinnis, was stationed “right outside the restaurant,” Hedrick said, “10 feet away, on the outside making sure the restaurant didn’t go any further than it already had.”
According to local reports, all 84 people in the restaurant were offloaded by the Covington Fire Department after 11:00 p.m. on Friday. According to the Coast Guard, first responders secured a ladder to the restaurant's gangway to allow the passengers to evacuate one at a time. All passengers were evacuated safely with no injuries.
Towboats from C&B Marine also arrived on the scene and remained with the restaurant barge after the McGinnis boats departed at about 2:30 a.m. Rob Carlisle, President of C&B Marine, said that their MV Steve Kuhr helped keep the restaurant barge in place through the night. At about 8:00 a.m. the next day, Saturday, the MV Wayne C was also on scene to assist.
“We brought a crane in on Saturday and prepared to release the ramp still attached to the barge,” Carlisle said. “On Sunday we used the James H, the Steve Kuhr, the Wayne C and the Beverly Wayne to move the restaurant to Covington Landing,” a new docking site, upriver about three quarters of a mile from the restaurant’s original location.
The C&B Marine boats moved the barge upriver at a rate of a half-mile to a mile per hour, for four hours, Carlisle said. “The waters were quite violent,” he said. “The river level was at 56 feet, four feet above flood stage.” The two story restaurant sits on a 230-ft by 50-ft barge, Carlisle said, and he compared the job to pushing the bulk of a city block upriver. Once at the Covington Landing, Carlisle said, “we were assisted by Aquarius Marine [a rigging company]” whose sectional barges were used to tie up the Waterfront restaurant barge. C&B Marine’s operations were finished Sunday at 4:30 pm.
C&B Marine, a Covington, Ky.-based company, is a product of a recent merger of Greater Cincinnati Marine and Bray Marine. The Coast Guard is investigating the reason the Waterfront restaurant broke away from its moorings.

Kyle
07-18-2011, 10:48 AM
Wow! That's a scary story! Hard to think someone in charge of a vessel which potentially could do a lot of damage would have that mind set! My initial thought is the captain was under the influence of something illegal combind with a bad attitude! Personally, I would find out where this boat was docked and I would be at the facility having a talk with someone..... Please keep us posted......

See the thing is you never know if the owner was the operator. He could just say the next time I see you I'll hit you, so get the eff out of my office.

You may want to read the gun thread before going to his office.

Gofast
07-18-2011, 10:55 AM
OK

So when did you start dating the Tug Captains daughter?

silverblueBP
07-18-2011, 11:27 AM
Something's not right with this. The story reads like it was an assault with a deadly weapon and no one seemed to care. What would happen if you were on a public road in your car and some clown tried the same thing with his car? This should have been taken very seriously and it sounds like it was not. I would be all over every type of law enforcement available as to why a life threatening situation was not looked in to.

You need to get a report filed ASAP!

onejdgreen
07-18-2011, 11:48 AM
Wow... :eek::eek3::shocked: That is all I have to say...

TxsRiverRat
07-18-2011, 12:03 PM
I know I'd feel threatened by a tug boat pulling 11 knots...

Jerseydave
07-18-2011, 12:16 PM
You need to file a formal complaint IN PERSON at the coast guard with witnesses and any pictures/video you may have. It should be taken very seriously by the coast guard and/or state police and not swept under the rug. You guys could have been killed.

Kyle
07-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Big companies charge big money for services and the demand seems to be greater to have them no matter how they treat people. At most the owner will get a please watch where you are going letter or phone call at most. Thus leaving everything a who cares situation when we have a brother who we care about who will continuously have to deal with this clown of a tug boat driver. A previous post mentioned a restaurant being saved. Do you really think anyone would care about the op message when they just played save a floating restaurant and are sparkling like a Diamond in the higher ups eyes.......

All I can say is a boat without and propulsion device will not move. Thus preventing this event from happening to another great mc owner possibly loosing a member of our croud of great people. Enough said.

TxsRiverRat
07-18-2011, 12:21 PM
Kyle - when are we going to Ohio?

Kyle
07-18-2011, 12:39 PM
I'm scared of Ohio...... You might get caught

TxsRiverRat
07-18-2011, 12:41 PM
I got an extra set of scuba gear you can use - cmon lets go...

Anyone willing to give us a pull after we fix the tugboat?

:D

willyt
07-18-2011, 12:58 PM
one of my buddies has a black on black on black X25... sure we could borrow it for this covert mission...

UPDATE:
Called the covington police dept. (city that we were closest too) They said they really didnt have any jurisdiction for an event like this and recommended i talk to the coast guard (already ahead of that - filed a report). Going to call the company today at some point and hopefully talk to someone and get this idiot fired, if the coast guard isnt going to strip him of his license anyway. Forgot to mention we also flagged down a boone county water rescue boat and tried to see if they could help us - nothing. It's surprising how little everyone was concerned for something like this... I mean we were very nearly hit by a commerical tug intentionally.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-18-2011, 12:59 PM
one of my buddies has a black on black on black X25... sure we could borrow it for this covert mission...

UPDATE:
Called the covington police dept. (city that we were closest too) They said they really didnt have any jurisdiction for an event like this and recommended i talk to the coast guard (already ahead of that - filed a report). Going to call the company today at some point and hopefully talk to someone and get this idiot fired, if the coast guard isnt going to strip him of his license anyway. Forgot to mention we also flagged down a boone county water rescue boat and tried to see if they could help us - nothing. It's surprising how little everyone was concerned for something like this... I mean we were very nearly hit by a commerical tug intentionally.

Absolutely unbelievable. Don't give up................nail that moron to the wall.

Rodney
07-18-2011, 01:00 PM
Willyt, that boat may exist but its never been confirmed...like a stealth bomber

I hit the licking last week and it was brutal. tons of debris, busted my prop good. Besides the tug boat on your a$$, was the conditions any better?

GoneBoatN
07-18-2011, 01:08 PM
most anyone did for me was take a report (which was the coast guard).

Follow up on that. The way I find to get police and etc to move is to become a PITA. Showing up in person and asking what follow-up they did will at least prompt them to pay a visit to the owne/operator of the tug. Then you have to go back (possibly several times) and ask what the outcome was.

Also make sure you are dealing with the organization that has jurisdiction. In this case, is it Coast Guard?

Most likely will become your word against theirs but at least something will be on file. If someone else has the same problem then perhaps having something previously reported will be of benifit.

TxsRiverRat
07-18-2011, 01:31 PM
Do you think maybe the driver of the tugboat was a 3-event skier and didn’t like wakeboarders?

thatsmrmastercraft
07-18-2011, 01:33 PM
Do you think maybe the driver of the tugboat was a 3-event skier and didn’t like wakeboarders?

:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

CantRepeat
07-18-2011, 01:34 PM
Shoot to to kill and take your chances in court? :eek:

thatsmrmastercraft
07-18-2011, 01:38 PM
Funny thing is, at least around here, they don't refer to these as tug boats. They call them tow boats. Tug boats are typically the harbor tenders. Perhaps some my tow boat is bigger than your tow boat?

willyt
07-18-2011, 02:13 PM
Willyt, that boat may exist but its never been confirmed...like a stealth bomber

I hit the licking last week and it was brutal. tons of debris, busted my prop good. Besides the tug boat on your a$$, was the conditions any better?

sorry... right... buddy may have a black on black on black...

Conditions werent that great, when we did go there stayed north of the 275 bridge mostly (in the gross water). Any further south you could walk across the river with all the stuff in it. Probably one of the most debris-filled days i've seen up there. It's been really terrible this year. Luckily the X2 came out unscathed...

Kyle
07-18-2011, 02:16 PM

Let's use a black on black BU just in case we have to abandon ship there is no mc left that could be damaged.

Shoot to to kill and take your chances in court? :eek:

See Peter at least I'm not the one talking about taking ones life...... Lol I love boats and guns.

Ski-me
07-18-2011, 02:16 PM
Did you get any pics or video of the whole event? Crazy stuff right there......

TxsRiverRat
07-18-2011, 02:57 PM
OK, so on a serious note - Willy - What did the coast guard tell you they could do about it, if anything at all?

MC

deminimis
07-18-2011, 03:19 PM
Were you playing rap music on your stereo? Barge pilots hate rap music.

TxsRiverRat
07-18-2011, 03:30 PM
Were you playing rap music on your stereo? Barge pilots hate rap music.

I dont blame em

deminimis
07-18-2011, 03:37 PM
Perhaps they were Somali Pirates?

Okay, I'm done teasing. Since the marine deputy didn't help (which is weird because our marine deputy would be all over it), I also think the CG is your best bet. Please keep us updated.

ntidsl
07-18-2011, 05:28 PM
We had no debris and glass water all weekend Willy...you should know better than being up on the east end!!! Sorry to hear about your issues...i would have been on my marine band to coast guard so fast!!! You need to get a radio for events like this!!

Brian B
07-18-2011, 05:38 PM
I would be finding out who was operaing the barge have a face to face.

x2. More like my knuckles and his face.

TxsRiverRat
07-18-2011, 05:45 PM
WillyT - did you make fun of any kids in grade school? Maybe he got that job driving the pushboat...?