PDA

View Full Version : 1995 Prostar Interior

Dawg 1
07-17-2011, 10:09 PM
New to the forum. Does anyone know where to find the best deal on interior skins for a 1995 Prostar? I was told by a Mastercraft dealer they are not available for any Mastercraft more than 5 to 6 years old. Hopefully there are some type of aftermarket ones available. Trying to save some money doing the interior refurb myself and not subbing it out to some upolstery guy. Thanks for the help.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-17-2011, 10:19 PM
Welcome, post up some pictures, IIRC, search jim the upholster, the skins are not available you are going to have someone copy yours as a template and you could install yourself...

Dawg 1
07-17-2011, 10:57 PM
Cool. Going to check out that site you mentioned. Also noted several other suggestions in previous posts from other members. Pics to come.

lazerhawk
07-19-2011, 11:24 AM
My 1996 PS190 is being done now and I did a lot of research. My interior is being done in all one color so that may bring the price down, but here are my estimates on just the skins (no install, with me removing skins and mailing them) in ascending order:

Viper Customs: $1100
Mastercraft Skins: $1140
CopyCat Covers: $1200 (with really cheap vinyl)
Jim the upholstery guy: $1400

FYI these are all MUCH cheaper than any of the non-marine-specific upholstery shops that I called in Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, and Colorado.

Jorski
07-19-2011, 01:27 PM
FWIW, I have to tell you that I used Copycat Covers (and I know some have had negative experiences with them - I didn't), and their vinyl was anything but cheap. It is an extremely thick/heavy weight material ( 37 oz Nautolex) that is as good as any I have seen on any boat.

They may not be your first choice, but unless they have changed, their materials are first rate.

lazerhawk
07-19-2011, 05:16 PM
I got samples from Copycat Covers the same time as Viper Customs. Even my untrained eye could tell the difference. The backing on the Copycat vinyl was almost non-existent and I'd venture to say 1/2 the thickness of the Spralding vinyl Viper sent me. I could rip the Copycat stuff with my hands and the Viper vinyl would just keep stretching.

Copycat did tell me that this was the vinyl they'd use to get me the "discounted price" of $1200. I ended up going with Viper but can't yet comment on the results since my summer is 1/2 over and my boat still doesn't have seats in it. Check my other posts for more.

Jorski
07-19-2011, 06:09 PM
Then that is very different than the material that they sent me...no way that I could I ever rip it by hand.

Good luck with your boat !;)

Dawg 1
07-20-2011, 08:59 AM
I am assuming you went with Viper customs then. Are you also recovering the captains chair? I spoke with Viper customs the other day, they discouraged customers from installing there skins themselves, especially a captains chair. No surprise there, as they make about the same amount $$$ on install as just the skins price.

I see you are north of Jackson. Good stuff, spent a summer working a ranch myself. Want to return to climb the Grand.

Dawg 1
07-20-2011, 09:02 AM
Viper Customs also said they have several ex-Mastercraft employees on staff. Inside knowledge of processes and procedures is always a plus.

Dawg 1
07-20-2011, 09:06 AM
Viper Customs also mentioned steaming the foam backing after removing your old skins. This apparently can help in bringing the cushion back to its original shape if it is not too broken down. Can this be done by the DIY guy at home with something other than a high dollar steaming device? I guess it it may not even be required depending on condition after skins removal. Have to wait and see.

lazerhawk
07-20-2011, 02:16 PM
For $60 I got a pneumatic stapler and lots of stainless staples, so I'm gonna give a few panels a try as see if I can make it work. I also have access to a steamer, but my guess is that a wallpaper steamer might do the trick as well. I'll let you know how it goes whenever my skins get stitched up.

Patsfan
07-24-2011, 09:53 PM
Why are they ex- employees?
You are better off having the upholstery shop of your choice cover the parts to asure perfect fit.
The extra cost asures you don't have the problems heard about from copy cat.
I don't here anyone talking about Leading Edge Marine Interiors.
They did my 87 PS and I've seen some of there other work. NICE.
www.lemarineinteriors.com

lazerhawk
07-26-2011, 05:54 PM
The people that say "have you're local guy do it so it fits right" either got very lucky or haven't shopped around much. I called almost every upholstery shop within 500 miles and the average price for skins was well over $3000. I sent Viper my skins and he's copying them for $1100. I don't see a local guys work being worth three times that of Viper or Mastercraft Skins'. And I've also heard good things about Leading Edge.

atlfootr
08-10-2011, 11:31 AM
Moral of the story: Be cheap, pay less, and have NO SEATS?
Now that makes plenty of sense ... :rolleyes: You get what you pay for.

If you went with 'Jim' for the difference you think you saved, you'd of had your seats back by now.
Hope you enjoy sitt'n on a bucket.

Maybe the fact your in Teton Range, Jackson Hole, WY had something to do with the addition quote?
Just saying ..

lazerhawk
08-11-2011, 07:31 PM
I've got my skins from Viper and I'll post pictures soon. Was it the extra 2 month wait worth the $300 savings over using 'Jim'? No. But Jim actually quoted my the longest completion times so I was going off the information I had. Could anyone have done a job $300 better than Viper? Probably not. The moral of my story is don't be like me. Use whoever your comfortable with, but do it during the winter.

atlfootr, your pal Jim didn't know where I'm from. And if you were a little more tactful with your wording people might listen to you suggestions instead of dismissing you as a condescending *****. As my lady always reminds me, "It's not what you said, it's how you said it."