PDA

View Full Version : Water in the fuel, now what?

gatorguy
07-17-2011, 02:21 PM
So we took my friends new to him 20ft '08 wakesetter out and added about 2300lbs of ballast. It threw an awesome surf wake. The problem was that the air vent was about 6" under water. Of course we didn't notice it until a little later in the day when my son (who got up for the first time) was surfing and the motor started cutting out. It ran real rough at idle, and would miss and backfire when put under load. We added a bunch of Heat (alcohol) and that didn't help at all either.

So he is planning to take it to the dealer. I figure drain the fuel, change the filter, and all will be well. One problem is where do we dump the fuel?

The next project will be moving the fuel vent to the other side of the boat.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-17-2011, 03:58 PM
Drain the fuel change filters and run clean fuel to purge the injectors should be all you need to do, Most auto part stores have containers for used haz mat materials, or you could dump it in your lawnmowers or burn barrels...

gatorguy
07-19-2011, 10:01 AM
We drained all the fuel last night. The fuel pump is in the tank and has these two sock type filters that looked perfectly fine so we left them alone. There is no in-line canister filter to change. So we buttoned everything back up an put in 7gal of clean new fuel and hit the lake. It ran bad for a few minutes until the fuel line and fuel rail got the clean new gas. Then it ran like a champ. Beats spending a few hundred $$ and driving 2hrs one way to the BU dealer and being without a boat until Aug15 which was the earliest they could get him in.

Now we are going to plumb in the extra ballast, and switch the fuel vent to the starboard side, we all surf port side.

Well I'm off to the club to ski a few sets. I've had a very active ski schedule having been on the water 7 of the last 9 days. Usually I'm luck to get in 1 day a week. I'm in heaven.

onejdgreen
07-19-2011, 10:16 AM
Well I'm off to the club to ski a few sets. I've had a very active ski schedule having been on the water 7 of the last 9 days. Usually I'm luck to get in 1 day a week. I'm in heaven.

Glad you got it fixed, might want to change the spark plugs down the road. I am EXTREMELY JEALOUS OF YOUR SKI SCHEDULE!!! Must be a b!tch being you....:headbang:

meotoole
07-19-2011, 11:14 AM
This problem happened to me a few weeks ago. I have done quite a bit of research and seems to be more common than you would think. I have talked to two MC dealers and finally got them to admit that water could be coming in through the vent. They didn't offer any solutions. Not to thread jack, but has anyone found a solution to this issue? I'm not sure how the vents are set up on wakesetters but mine is inside the gas cap on my 05 X10. Has anyone moved their vent? If so, where/how. I surf port side. Thanks.

Mike

kman
07-19-2011, 11:38 AM
I have an 05 x10 and had this happen to me a couple weeks ago. Not sure what to do about it at this point. Sucks, because I surf Starbord.

kingwoodlee
07-19-2011, 01:33 PM
I used to have the same problem with my Supra Comp TS6m when wakeboarding with our fat sac. (very low freeboard) I "engineered" a loop using copper tubing and inserted it somwhere in the middle of the vent tube between the gas tank and the outside vent. I tie-wrapped this copper loop as high inside the rear of the boat as I could making sure the loop was upright. There is no way water can come in thru the vent, travel up the tubing and somehow make a complete loop and travel into the gas tank. Worked like a champ and we never ingested water again.
Hope that helps.

kman
07-19-2011, 03:29 PM
The problem with ours is, like meotoole said, our vent is behind the gas cap. So the final vent to the outside is through the cap. That means water is coming through the cap and straight into the tank, not necessarily through the vent line.

I guess we could loop the big fuel hose. hhhhmmmm. Actually, this would probably cause problems when filling. oh well.

TallRedRider
07-19-2011, 03:44 PM
The problem with ours is, like meotoole said, our vent is behind the gas cap. So the final vent to the outside is through the cap. That means water is coming through the cap and straight into the tank, not necessarily through the vent line.

I guess we could loop the big fuel hose. hhhhmmmm.

Shouldn't the gas cap have a gasket on it so that the water cannot come in that way.

And I think I would be pretty worried if I were routinely submerging the gas cap, as it is a few inches above the rubrail. Maybe on a lower profile ski boat it is easier than I would think.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-19-2011, 03:53 PM
I think it's time to snorkel it like jeeps do...:rolleyes:

kman
07-19-2011, 03:55 PM
The cap actually has vent holes in it with a surge valve. Not sure if that's to keep gas from surging out or water from surging in. I'm going to guess the first, because I definately had water in the gas. And yes, when I'm surfing, the gas cap is draging through the water. When sitting still, it is out of the water, but when moving, the water rushes up the side right on the cap.

gatorguy
07-19-2011, 06:37 PM
Glad you got it fixed, might want to change the spark plugs down the road. I am EXTREMELY JEALOUS OF YOUR SKI SCHEDULE!!! Must be a b!tch being you....:headbang:

Don't get too jealous, it's definitely a fluke that I've been able to get out this much.

gatorguy
07-19-2011, 06:42 PM
This problem happened to me a few weeks ago. I have done quite a bit of research and seems to be more common than you would think. I have talked to two MC dealers and finally got them to admit that water could be coming in through the vent. They didn't offer any solutions. Not to thread jack, but has anyone found a solution to this issue? I'm not sure how the vents are set up on wakesetters but mine is inside the gas cap on my 05 X10. Has anyone moved their vent? If so, where/how. I surf port side. Thanks.

Mike

I'm not sure on an x10, but on my '97 ps205 My fuel vent is in the water sometimes when surfing port side. I haven't sucked water yet, or maybe just not enough to notice it yet. Anyway I'm planning to move mine to the other side since I don't ever plan on surfing starboard, and it will be just tough luck for any friends who want to surf that side.

On mine it is as simple as drilling a new hole and screwing on a new fitting. I plan to leave the old one where it is and plug it off just so I don't have a hole in my hull to fill.