PDA

View Full Version : 1983 S&S fuse amperage

stars83stripes
07-17-2011, 12:16 AM
What are the ratings for the blower, bilge/auto bilge, nav lights and anchor light? I blew the auto bilge fuse today and I don't think that it was supposed to be the 10A that was in there. I appreciate the help!

stars83stripes
07-18-2011, 02:38 PM
Anyone? Bueller?

ctjahn
07-18-2011, 03:02 PM
I just replaced my glass fuse ckt board which appeared to have been soldered quite a bit and definately some old fuses...I put in a blue sea systems new fuse box and filled it with 5 amp fuses. I havent blown any yet (knock on wood)

Although this is a 78 S&S

Good luck
cj

stars83stripes
07-18-2011, 11:03 PM
Could it be that my bilge pump is shorting then? It ate up 5A fuses in a matter of seconds. The 10A lasted for a day or two.

ctjahn
07-19-2011, 06:06 AM
I thought about it over the night. Your bilge may be going bad... or a source of an issue.

Of course the appropriate fuse depends on wire gauge, and the current drawn which are affected by the quality of the connections (are they corroded?) Based upon the wiring on my boat I wouldnt go over 10 amp fuses. (I error on the side of caution. I would start by checking the connections). I have my orig book and if I have time I will look up the proper rating for my 78.

If I remember correctly my bilge (although replaced by PO) has the specs right on it.
Since it isnt a quick blow (right away); I am lead to believe it isnt a short or the switch.

But this is only my opinion.
cj

stars83stripes
07-19-2011, 04:28 PM
The bilge pump is pretty filthy and could use a cleaning at least. I also don't think I found anything rated over 10A in any other fuse holders. Thanks for the input.

ctjahn
07-19-2011, 04:48 PM
Not that I am saying its right or wrong but my old fuse panel with the glass fuses were all 10amp fuses... (I checked it out last night to verify....)

If it was an instant blow I would point to a short and/or switch issue...

good luck!
cj