PDA

View Full Version : Need picture of OEM tach from S&S

markismm
07-16-2011, 10:40 PM
Here is the short and skinny.

I have had some problems with my tach. When recently converting my ammeter to a voltmeter I noticed my tach has a selector switch on the back with a 1,2,3 and 4. It is set at the four position. Usually, you have various selections of the back of a tach to accomodate for different amount of cylinders in different engine applications. I of course have a 351w (8 cylinders). Therefore it would appear that my tach is not desigend for an 8 cylinder motor. I have always assumed that my tach was original equipement and never replaced.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE POST OF PHOTO OF YOUR OEM TACHOMETER FROM AN EARLY 80's STARS AND STRIPES FOR ME TO COMPARE. PREFFERABLY AN 84 MODEL.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

WilliM1940
07-17-2011, 02:42 AM
The original is a Det Mar, now out of business. Nothing special, didn't even match the style of the Faria gauges or the Airguides. Also had the selector screw. Faria sells a coral series that more matches the original Faria gauges and number styles of that years Airguides.

Here is a link to a picture of the one I threw away years ago:

http://www.oldboatgauges.com/detmar.html

ctjahn
07-17-2011, 08:39 AM
Here is the short and skinny.

I have had some problems with my tach. When recently converting my ammeter to a voltmeter I noticed my tach has a selector switch on the back with a 1,2,3 and 4. It is set at the four position. Usually, you have various selections of the back of a tach to accomodate for different amount of cylinders in different engine applications. I of course have a 351w (8 cylinders). Therefore it would appear that my tach is not desigend for an 8 cylinder motor. I have always assumed that my tach was original equipement and never replaced.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE POST OF PHOTO OF YOUR OEM TACHOMETER FROM AN EARLY 80's STARS AND STRIPES FOR ME TO COMPARE. PREFFERABLY AN 84 MODEL.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

I just replaced my this past winter. The one in the boat had a selector switch; and I bought a replacement (Close match - NOS part) from ebay also had a selector. Both of them had a 1-4 selection (I left it on the number it was but if you need it let me know and I can dig up the instructions).

The new old stock tach I used required power where as my old tach just needed the signal and ground. (Lucky it came with instructions) What is your specific question?

Cj

Wouter
07-18-2011, 04:37 AM
4 is correct for a V8 I think.
2P (pulse) = 4c (cylinders)
3P = 6c
4P = 8c

Wouter
07-18-2011, 04:44 AM
From Teleflex

markismm
07-18-2011, 07:45 PM
Thanks guys. Mine is a Det-Mar. Its selector switch is on 4. I has options of 1,2,3, and 4. I may need to simply replace it. It is 27 years old. I;ll check out the faria suggested.

Wouter
07-19-2011, 04:48 AM
I think the 1,2,3 and 4 refers to the number of pulses. 4 pulses for an 8 cylinder engine. setting number 4 should be correct for a V8. V8 tach reads 4 pulses per revolution.