PDA

View Full Version : From east TN to Yellowstone and back

Jesus_Freak
07-16-2011, 01:43 PM
Just made this journey with my family (in a minivan). It was phenomenal!

I find myself looking for that perfectly sized course lake in every state. I noticed a few things on this trip worth mentioning to you all:

-15 to 20 perfect lakes, some with homes and some not, right along the side of highway 80 all across Nebraska.
-Course on lake Loveland on highway 34 right where the road widens in town.
-Course on highway 24 east loop around Paducah.

Do any of these ring a bell with anyone on here?

EDIT:

I forgot this one as well: County Road 4300, Coffeyville, KS 67337

Also, I forgot to put in a plug for Tom Bartlett (307 699 3980) of Jackson Hole Paragliding --> Excellent!

Cloaked
07-16-2011, 03:00 PM
--Course on highway 24 east loop around Paducah.

Do any of these ring a bell with anyone on here?Seen it many times as I pass through there. It used to be advertised as a ski school but never made the big times. Over the years I have seen it change several different times (apparently ownership and preferences). In my opinion, there's no perfect lake in the midwest. Too much wind for me. Maybe otherwise I am wrong. Good eye on the lakes though. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Center Hill Lake is one of my favs for nice water and ease of access. Two courses on that lake, one a little easier to maneuver than the other but both still OK as long as the water is near pool. Wind is not an issue, nor is backwash from a wall or embankment. It has gotten very populated over the years so that is the one drawback about CHL.

Come on down to Kingston and I'll show you the Emory River. Nice waters.

Jesus_Freak
07-17-2011, 08:06 AM
Seen it many times as I pass through there. It used to be advertised as a ski school but never made the big times. Over the years I have seen it change several different times (apparently ownership and preferences). In my opinion, there's no perfect lake in the midwest. Too much wind for me. Maybe otherwise I am wrong. Good eye on the lakes though. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Center Hill Lake is one of my favs for nice water and ease of access. Two courses on that lake, one a little easier to maneuver than the other but both still OK as long as the water is near pool. Wind is not an issue, nor is backwash from a wall or embankment. It has gotten very populated over the years so that is the one drawback about CHL.

Come on down to Kingston and I'll show you the Emory River. Nice waters.

Great point on the wind issue. In the case of the Nebraska lakes, they were all buried in trees, so they were OK from that standpoint. Thanks for the invite to Kingston...never experienced those waters.

bauer5152
07-22-2011, 12:10 AM
Just made this journey with my family (in a minivan). It was phenomenal!

I find myself looking for that perfectly sized course lake in every state. I noticed a few things on this trip worth mentioning to you all:

-15 to 20 perfect lakes, some with homes and some not, right along the side of highway 80 all across Nebraska.
-Course on highway 24 east loop around Paducah.

Do any of these ring a bell with anyone on here?

EDIT:

I forgot this one as well: County Road 4300, Coffeyville, KS 67337

Also, I forgot to put in a plug for Tom Bartlett (307 699 3980) of Jackson Hole Paragliding --> Excellent!

Thanks you for the post.

shepherd
07-22-2011, 03:16 PM
That reminds me of my father, an avid private pilot, who would see a flat field off the side of the road during a family road trip and say "that would make a great landing strip..." I guess us slalom skiers do the same thing: "I wonder if a ski course would fit on that lake???" :D

Tell us about the paragliding. Pics?

Kyle's_prostar205
07-22-2011, 03:24 PM
[QUOTE=Jesus_Freak;772050]-Course on lake Loveland on highway 34 right where the road widens in town.
[QUOTE]

That is a great lake. For being right in the middle of town its a perfect spot. Had you traveled about 30 minutes south of there you could have stopped off at our lake in Brighton, CO for a pull.

Jesus_Freak
07-24-2011, 09:23 AM
That reminds me of my father, an avid private pilot, who would see a flat field off the side of the road during a family road trip and say "that would make a great landing strip..." I guess us slalom skiers do the same thing: "I wonder if a ski course would fit on that lake???" :D

Tell us about the paragliding. Pics?

Breathtaking! I am not a trained professional, so it involved a tandem arrangement. In short, I and my pilot ran together (mostly me :)) off the side of a snowy cliff at Jackson Hole (Rendezvous Point) until the thermals caught us and sent us flying. He let me "drive" the chute some. He took us through a few looping exercises. It was very much like a roller coaster at some points.

Jesus_Freak
07-24-2011, 09:25 AM

That is a great lake. For being right in the middle of town its a perfect spot. Had you traveled about 30 minutes south of there you could have stopped off at our lake in Brighton, CO for a pull.

Thank you for the offer! Now I know for next time....

Ski-me
07-25-2011, 11:30 AM
Were you able to see the museum in Cody? My dad lives there and is quite involved in making that an outstanding museum. Also, love driving through the Jackson area....just beautiful and majestic for sure!

Jesus_Freak
07-30-2011, 04:23 PM
Were you able to see the museum in Cody? My dad lives there and is quite involved in making that an outstanding museum. Also, love driving through the Jackson area....just beautiful and majestic for sure!

Which museum? We stopped at a few places in Cody.

We stopped at a few places in Co Springs also, including A/F Academy, Focus on the Family Headquarters, and Olympic training center. Amazing place.