PDA

View Full Version : wakeboarding question

john jones
07-16-2011, 12:47 AM
Was wondering how many of you pull a wakeboard from your regular ski pylon. I have a 89 tristar that my kid wants to try wakeboarding behind. We are using a wakeboard from a friend, would it work for a while or should I look at other options?

thanks

RMUDBUGS
07-16-2011, 12:53 AM
We did it to finish the day when we broke the rack a few years ago. Luckily it was our last trip of the season and I had the rack fixed over the winter. It worked fine, just a little harder to get up.

Thrall
07-16-2011, 11:28 AM
Works great!
Only limitation from a low tow point is getting big air. Tends to roll the rider forward.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-16-2011, 12:31 PM
Definatly will work, but nobody can sit behind the pylon when it is in use, use the pylon but you might look at getting extended pylon or a tower at some point prolly between $300-400 depending what you choose, thats cheaper than adding a tower for $1000-2000

http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog/Wakeboard_Accessories/Extended_Pylons/Barefoot_International_Fly_High_Extended_Pylon_wit h_Delron_Ski_Tow/index.asp

xstarondabayou
07-16-2011, 12:40 PM
A ski pylon is more than sufficient. I now ride behind a boat designed for wakeboarding with a tower but I grew up learning behind a 13 foot boston whaler with the rope attached to a harness surrounding the outboard engine. I learned my first invert behind the whaler. I would have killed to have a ski pylon when I was a kid. No need to buy a tower unless the kids are getting serious about boarding (inverts, 360's etc...)

aarosurf
07-16-2011, 01:28 PM
I've been using my ski pylon since I got my boat. Currently saving up and looking for a tower that I'll be happy with. Like said before, its sufficient unless you're trying to do more advanced stuff.

It's not really any harder to get up using the sky pylon, I got my friend up on the board on his first try the other day.

kevkan
07-16-2011, 10:15 PM
No problem at all, as far as getting up and learning.

charrison327
07-17-2011, 09:21 AM
Like others have stated, the pylon is fine. I wouldn't even spend the money until I knew for sure that your kids were really in to it. If I didn't get my extended pole for free, I probably wouldn't even have one. You can do basic backside rolls and get air (by no means big air) from a regular pylon. I am very basic wakeboarder and for years I boarded behind an outboard from a lift ring on the back of the boat.