PDA

View Full Version : all around mc?

mxdude227
07-15-2011, 11:01 PM
what is the best all around boat for wakeboarding and tubing , i was lookin at a prosport for a bit
very new to this thanks!:D

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-15-2011, 11:08 PM
Just depends on your pocket book, for those on a budget prolly a x-star, x-1, x-2 or x14...a prosport is a stripped down version of these (205v or 205 DD)...

mxdude227
07-15-2011, 11:38 PM
my pockets arnt very deep , im in the military and got a kid lol :rolleyes:

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-15-2011, 11:40 PM
Thanks for your service and welcome, I have a Tri-Star 190, good intro boat, decent wake for boarding but it has enough power to rip stumps out of the lake, these can be had for about 10k

mxdude227
07-15-2011, 11:51 PM
thanks for the info and the thanks for the welcome and service

Jerseydave
07-16-2011, 12:20 AM
Just depends on your pocket book, for those on a budget prolly a x-star, x-1, x-2 or x14...a prosport is a stripped down version of these (205v or 205 DD)...

Any of the above hulls will be great for you. Try to find a boat that was never used in salt water and have it checked out thoroughly (compression test, lake test, check hull for blisters, etc.)
And thank you for your military service.....much respect!

mxdude227
07-16-2011, 12:38 AM
10k is a lil much i was lookin at around 5-6k thanks again!

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-16-2011, 12:53 AM
You could find a early to mid eighties 19 skier or a stars & stripes in that range, or that elusive deal could be out there for something newer, good luck...

mxdude227
07-16-2011, 01:11 AM
alright thanks again!

brat
07-16-2011, 01:38 AM
Bayliner makes some good tubing boats.

RMUDBUGS
07-16-2011, 01:58 AM
10k is a lil much i was lookin at around 5-6k thanks again!

That would be like buying a 500 dollar car. Keep saving a few more years and get a good used ProStar.

wtrskr
07-16-2011, 10:20 AM
You should be able to find nice but older and smaller Mastercraft for $5-6K. In that price range you will probably only find closed bow boats.

Any boat that runs can pull a tuber so that part doesn't matter. For wakeboarding, you'll just need to add some weight in the right areas to get a big wake. I knew people that used closed bow ski boats for wakeboarding and were able to do 360's, inverts, rallys - you name it.

All of the Mastercrafts have good engine power and can get you to a pretty advanced level skiing or wakeboarding. It is more a matter of space in the boat, looks, and convenience of having to add weight with fat sacs etc.

JJMorris3
07-16-2011, 10:52 AM
Agreed. I found an old MC for under 10k. It pulls like a mac truck and runs like a top. Key is to find one that was treated well mechanically. My friends sometime make cracks when they see the old 94 205 with it's funky purple color and low beam. Then they spend the day out on the lake and beg to go out again. I love watching their expression when I turn it on. It's pretty quiet at idle. And then it wows them again once I hit the throttle. And of course it can pull any footer, slalom, wakeboarder, any size out of the water. Tracks dead straight for skiing/course. Wakeboard wake might not be greatest for advanced guys, but it's more than adequate for recreational wake boarding. When you get that much better, you can easily team up with buddies to go out on a bigger barge for an hour here and there for a few pulls. Get a MC. You won't regret it.

Thrall
07-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Try to find a mid 80's to early 90's 19 skiier or Prostar 190.
Throw an extended pylon on it for boarding and you're set. FOr $5-6k you should be able to find a decent, not perfect boat that will pull your arms off..
Anything '83 and later will have fiberglass stringers, so no structural worries and the remainder of the boat is quite simple to work on. Think late 60s early 70's pre-emissions cars. Just a motor and a gearbox and a few wires.
Worry less about hours on the boat and more about it's condition. A properly maintained 1500hr boat should give you another 500-1000 relatively trouble free hours on the engine.
You're getting into the right season to buy boats. Aug thru Oct is the best time of year for deals.
If you're mech inclined at all, a little help from this forum will fix any issues you have w/ the boat.
Good luck

Thrall
07-16-2011, 12:47 PM
Look in the Marketplace under Prostars. There's a nice '91 PS 190 asking $ 6500. Syas it's cherry and decked out, just needs upholstery.
Should be able to find stuff like this. The newer hulls are going to be a little bigger and ride a little better than the mid 80's boats which are even more ski-specific.
Check out craiglook.com or jaxed.com/sitemash. It can pull up all the boats in your specific category for sale on craigslist and fleabay around the country or by state.
Boat shopping is fun!:D