PDA

View Full Version : Is Lime-a-way bad?

kevkan
07-15-2011, 11:57 AM
My X-1 has a lot of water spots/white residue on the side of the hull (black & red). I'm thinking of wetting the surface with water, spraying and wiping with limeaway, and rinsing very quickly. Is this a bad idea?

agarabaghi
07-15-2011, 11:57 AM
on off worked for me... never used lime-away though

bobx1
07-15-2011, 12:22 PM
Never used, nor ever heard of anyone using limeaway BUT I have a red/black hull as well and I use water/vinegar mixture. If it is really coated then use a bunch and let it sit for a few minutes then hose off with a power nozzle or go to a car wash and use their pressure nozzle (dont get too close).

I have also heard of others using toilet bowl cleaner on the really stubborn stuff.

Make sure you put a good coat of wax on afterwards then try wiping down after each use to keep this stuff from building up again.

TxsRiverRat
07-15-2011, 12:24 PM
Use a spray bottle of 50/50 mix of Vinegar and water & some elbow grease...

hands down the best solution, and do this each time you pull the boat out of the lake

milkmania
07-15-2011, 12:35 PM
I use LA's Awesome for all my cleaning needs....
Lime-a-way removes wax, and Awesome does not.

I pick it up at the dollar store for CHEAP!

http://www.lastotallyawesome.com/
http://www.lastotallyawesome.com/Images/Product_FRT_%20Images_Degreasers.jpg

Benefits

No acid
No ammonia
No bleach
Non-flammable
Safe for septic tanks
Contains no phosphorous
Made in the USA

I use it in 1 gallon pump up sprayer, use it at the car wash and bugs will melt away before you can circle the car :cool:

jbkriss
07-15-2011, 12:54 PM
Here in Miami/Ft Lauderdale, all our fresh water leaves spots due to all the limestone underground. We use a three part mixture of Lime Away (or CLR), water, and vinegar and the boat looks fantastic afterward. I have never seen any ill effects from using it on my boats for the past 11 years so use it as frequently as you like.

oldairboater
07-15-2011, 12:59 PM
Shouldn't hurt the fiberglass but I would not get it on anything else. I wouldn't let it sit too long. Probably removes wax---so you would need to re-wax. All the hull stain removers are corrosive that I have seen. The white on my boat bottom stains every trip and requires attention about every third trip.

SPSinclair 190
07-15-2011, 01:50 PM
Im with Milk this stuff is great and as he said its cheap ! its AWSOME

TallRedRider
07-16-2011, 09:57 PM
I used Lime-away once when my boat got super bad and nothing else would work. I think what happened is that it had been waxed over the top of some hard water spots. I tried literally everything and nothing would get my boat looking clean again. Lime-away was great.

I started using Boat Bling and have not had a problem since, and my boat is black. Boat Bling is probably a combination of water, vinegar and liquid wax. I made my own for a while, but I have had such great success with this, that I am paying the premium.

2RLAKE
07-17-2011, 08:30 AM
i have used it many times .. washed it afterwards thoroughly to assure it was completely clean