PDA

View Full Version : Issue installing electronic ign (pic)

Dino Don
07-15-2011, 11:56 AM
Installed Ignitor II on 87 ProStar 351 Indmar took ballast off per instructions. Egine cranks up and then shuts off. I have no voltage at the positive side of coil. I only have 12 volts to the purple wire that also feeds the elect choke. The orange wire feeds back to the system but picks up out of the ballast at something less than 12 volts. Anyone know where the orange wire goes? What does it feed? I can wire off of the purple wire to provide a constant 12 volts and the engine should run fine but I don't know about the organge wire? Anyone have a diagram of the system on an 87?

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu353/rioo68/IMG_0583.jpg

TLR67
07-15-2011, 12:22 PM
On a 90 the Orange wire goes o the BAT/POS Side of Coil....With the Purple wire..

Dino Don
07-15-2011, 03:54 PM
On a 90 the Orange wire goes o the BAT/POS Side of Coil....With the Purple wire..

Yeah I know same as mine but I was wanting to know where it went back into the harness. I just broke down and rewired the ballast back into the system and it works. I didn't have a diagram to see where they all went. Looked like the orange went back to the small post on the starter solenoid. Thought performance might be better without ballast????

Thanks for the reply--

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-15-2011, 10:26 PM
351 indmar diagram, sorry don't know how to add a pdf

ftp://ftp2.indmar.us/Wiring%20Diagrams/Misc%20Diagrams/351%20DIAGRAM.pdf

ftp://ftp2.indmar.us/Service%20Manuals/351%20Ford%20Ign%20System%20Section.pdf

liledgy
07-15-2011, 11:14 PM
I left the resister in the boat and just moved one side of the wires over to the other terminal to bypass it (An idea from another member on this site).

83starsstripes
07-15-2011, 11:27 PM
be sure that instructions say to remove ballast i isntalled the igntior on my ss and said to keep it...i also installed flame thrower coil which said to remove the ballast for the fact that the coil is internally resister...i left ballast in the boat and just moved the orange wire over to purple wires posted and its ran great ever since no problems what so ever....just be sure that it says to remove ballast whichout the resistance could burn up the ignition with to much power!! also did you reset the timing?