PDA

View Full Version : What it the plastic called used in?

stennes
07-15-2011, 10:20 AM
I need new side panels on my X30, the ones that goe around the the engine to seal the compartment from the outside compartements? I know it isnt PVC, but does someone know what the material is, and where I can get some?
Thanks

rgardjr1
07-15-2011, 10:23 AM
King Starboard-Should be able to get it or something similar at you local plastic supply house. People are selling it on Ebay, but I think the shipping would kill you on a large piece.

willyt
07-15-2011, 10:33 AM
its EXPENSIVE - but it does float actually - dropped my side pannel in the lake during an on the water repair - nbd, floated right to the surface

Thrall
07-15-2011, 10:42 AM
COrrect and yes, expensive.
If your current panels are just bowed from having sacs up against them, just reinforce them on the engine side. You can thru-bolt some aluminum tubing to the panels to stiffen them up and straighten them out.

CantRepeat
07-15-2011, 11:28 AM
And most retailers that sell it want you to buy an entire sheet of it.

CantRepeat
07-15-2011, 05:43 PM
The main hindrance lies with the sheet thing...even if you need it a less,you have to spare money for the whole one...and that really hurts the wallet big time...

Nice spam sig. I see you guys are trying the human route now. :mad:

stennes
07-15-2011, 09:52 PM
COrrect and yes, expensive.
If your current panels are just bowed from having sacs up against them, just reinforce them on the engine side. You can thru-bolt some aluminum tubing to the panels to stiffen them up and straighten them out.

No their toast, had a engine overheat/fire two years ago, and I'm just now about finished, I shouldnt say fire, but it got so hot it melted all the plastic, they are extreamly bowed, just now have everything replaced, except those.

dsword
07-16-2011, 01:02 AM
I have heard it called UHMW plastic. Ultra High Molecular Weight plastic

JJMorris3
07-16-2011, 08:28 AM
I got some from interstate plastics to make skid plates. Easy to work with. It is expensive, but it's tough stuff. I've seen hardcore fishermen build custom on deck tackle boxes and gunnel mounted cutting boards from them in salt water environments. Good luck.

Thrall
07-16-2011, 11:53 AM
No their toast, had a engine overheat/fire two years ago, and I'm just now about finished, I shouldnt say fire, but it got so hot it melted all the plastic, they are extreamly bowed, just now have everything replaced, except those.

I see! That's too bad.:(
Try some different options. Maybe call some local plastic shops and metal shops. Some 1/4" Aluminum diamond plate would look sweet!
Are you planning on running sacs that will push against the panels or just need dividers?
1/2" thick birch or sanded plywood with some paint on Rhino liner stuff would do the trick nicely.

frosty
07-18-2011, 10:06 AM
Check out a marine salvage yard, some of them sell used starboard by weight, still expensive, but a lot cheaper than new!

MIskier
07-18-2011, 10:41 PM
Its High density poly ethylene, but starboard would work too.