PDA

View Full Version : Link me up

amcmac
07-15-2011, 07:55 AM
Went out with the guys from work a few nights ago. Cruised for about 10 minutes then tried to get a guy up wake boarding with no such luck. Went back to get the wife (driver) so I could show him how to do it. The boat wouldn't start. It would turn over, fire, then die. The boat is a '05 X7 with the RTP. I am assuming that I lost my fuel pump. I need to get a fuel pressure tester and check it out. I know there are dozens, maybe hundred, threads on the fuel pump issue, so I don't want to start another one. Can any of you guys who are more experienced with the forum send me the best links on testing, fixing, replacing etc the fuel pump. Or if anyone knows something else I should be looking for that could be the culprit I would appreciate anything you guys have to offer.

Thanks again,
Aron

oldairboater
07-15-2011, 02:06 PM
Check kill switch first. If I had a fuel injected boat there would be a fuel pressure gauge in my rail. My airboat has a fuel pressure gauge and I always know when the pump is bad or not powered at a glance. We always run fuel pressure gauges with cut off valves to them in all of our boats with electric fuel pumps.

Aric'sX15
07-15-2011, 02:24 PM
my 2000 205V would do the same thing from time to time. same engine.
id have have to put the throttle in neutral, and put the throttle forward like you were just revving the engine up(make sure its in neutral!) then it would fire right up.

amcmac
07-15-2011, 03:05 PM
Check kill switch first. If I had a fuel injected boat there would be a fuel pressure gauge in my rail. My airboat has a fuel pressure gauge and I always know when the pump is bad or not powered at a glance. We always run fuel pressure gauges with cut off valves to them in all of our boats with electric fuel pumps.

Kill switch was still intact. Good idea on installing a fuel pressure gauge. Might do that instead of renting a tester.

my 2000 205V would do the same thing from time to time. same engine.
id have have to put the throttle in neutral, and put the throttle forward like you were just revving the engine up(make sure its in neutral!) then it would fire right up.

I tried that and it wouldn't fire at all like it did when i left the throttle lever straight up. I am wondering if the fuel pump sends enough to get it to fire, but it isn't sending enough volume to keep it running. Thanks for the advice

jkski
07-15-2011, 03:16 PM
Even though you checked the kill switch, if you simply removed the lanyard then put it back on, that still could be your problem. Try removing the lanyard and pushing the little button all the way in with you finger and holding it in while trying to start.

If that is not it, then see if you can hear the fuel pump cycle on when you turn the key to the start position. The fuel pump is located under the base cover of your rear compartment, just pull that back and listen.....if you hear nothing then that may be your culprit. I say may be because on my 08 the wire connector at the pump actually went bad making it seem like the fuel pump. When I would move the wires I could get the fuel pump to actually go on and off.

nmcjr
07-15-2011, 03:26 PM
Definately test it, but sounds like a fuel pump to me. here is the link, I used the Delco pump and you'll want to replace the inside hose with the Napa part number I reference toward the end of the thread:
https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=744400

nmcjr
07-15-2011, 03:27 PM
And yes, I have seen where a fuel pump will give enough to fire the engire for a moment, but not keep it running.

Thrall
07-15-2011, 03:41 PM
If it's firing a little then it's not the kill switch.

amcmac
07-16-2011, 01:19 PM
If it's firing a little then it's not the kill switch.
Yep, exactly what I was thinking.