PDA

View Full Version : ZFT5 P tower actuators

bjames
07-14-2011, 07:13 PM
Just purchased a new X25, taking delivery tomorrow (I hope). Just found out that the actuators for the power tower need to be replaced/upgraded as there seem to have been problems in the past with them failing. Can someone explain what the issues were and even with the new acuators, is there still a chance that they may fail in the future?

Also.. with the new actuators installed, can you trailer with the tower in the down position?

Huskie05
07-14-2011, 07:39 PM
Just purchased a new X25, taking delivery tomorrow (I hope). Just found out that the actuators for the power tower need to be replaced/upgraded as there seem to have been problems in the past with them failing. Can someone explain what the issues were and even with the new acuators, is there still a chance that they may fail in the future?

Also.. with the new actuators installed, can you trailer with the tower in the down position?

I have the power tower, I am on the 3rdd generation actuators now. The 2nd generation were ok, had no real issues with the tower. MC wanted to install the new ones or 3rd generation. Not sure why, but I don't argue. I guess they had some issues with the tower not going up all the way on one or both sides. They will just keep upgrading the tower until no issues at all. Ours has been fine, and we go up and down a lot for storage and travel. I like our tower. Good Luck.
oh, we have the 2011 X55

Ozzy X25
11-27-2011, 07:32 PM
My power tower broke on the way home from the dealer....:cry: It was in the lowered position at the time. As you can see in the pictures it has just sheared off at the weld in the shaft.....
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae169/kenworthit/X25/todayxxxxx22225555257.jpg

http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae169/kenworthit/X25/todayxxxxx22225555258.jpg

I have just received the new pair of actuators today and also a kit for more support when tower is down/in transport position..... I do beleive the weight of the tower and the load on the springs is a major cause of the brakages. I will post some more pics later if i notice any differences in the old ones to new ones to compair the upgrades. Personally I think they need a bigger thicker shaft size as we all do ....:D

lets pray that the problem is solved ...update soon ...!!!

jwardenjr
11-27-2011, 08:57 PM
My tower came with two braces that you use when transporting. I have neve had an issue with my tower and love it !

Ozzy X25
11-28-2011, 04:34 AM
My tower came with two braces that you use when transporting. I have neve had an issue with my tower and love it !

Dont get me wrong I luv the power tower but it does happin .....:o I also got the the braces in the kit and hope that this will also fix my problem .....:)
As I said there is a lot of stress on the actuators when in transport and with the weight of the tower and the ****ty roads it will get a lot of shock through it when travelling mainly from the tower trying to jump up as the springs are compressed . I look forward to better days ......:D
Cheers

Quinten
11-28-2011, 02:26 PM
Do those new actuators be placed in the 2012 boats with the zft5 p or do you need to ask for it buy your dealer? And what about that braces?

Our boat comes in febuary 2012, x2.

zamboniman
11-28-2011, 03:18 PM
Considering how many revisions they are on with these I have to believe that proper engineering didn't go into the tower on the front end (analyzing the forces that are put on the various components) and specifying components that meet those requirements with some level of confidence factor or over engineering involved to capture the rare but possible implied forces. Seems a bit trial and error with bandaids to fix the flaw. Likewise, I'd also have a hard time believing that the components spec'd out so far have all been failing due to defect. just my 2 cents of observation.

swatguy
11-28-2011, 04:46 PM
I am with Zam on this. Downright scary. MC has had numerous issues and a long history of having tower issues all the way back to 99. The ND style tower was the only tower from MC not to have major issues. The previous version to the powertower also was fixed with band aids of aftermarket braces. Very disappointing for a tower they were claiming to be so revolutionary and hyping so much.