PDA

View Full Version : Hot water connection for shower + heater

G.H.
07-14-2011, 02:55 PM
Hi,

I am about to install a shower but may want to add a heater later in the season. How can I connect both to the engine drain plug (below pic shows just one hose for the shower) ? Would an Y-fitting work ? Thanks !!!

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/2130/enginedrainplug.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/17/enginedrainplug.jpg/)

Thrall
07-14-2011, 06:50 PM
I didn't connect either to the block drain plug. My 190 was like that and it resulted in the hot water supply getting crudded up with rust from the bottom of the engine.
On my X2 I hooked the heater to the front right side port on hte intake manifold (just like the direstions for a new heater), back side for a v drive, but front of the motor itself.
Hot water for the shower I teed off of this line. COld water for the shower I teed into the water supply for the dripless prop shaft seal. WOrks great, no cutting into major water lines on the boat and typically shower is not used when the boat is underway, so no possible damage to the shaft seal.
Black and red hoses coming off the engine in the pic are both hot water sources.

jvbaca
07-14-2011, 10:04 PM
I didn't connect either to the block drain plug. My 190 was like that and it resulted in the hot water supply getting crudded up with rust from the bottom of the engine.
On my X2 I hooked the heater to the front right side port on hte intake manifold (just like the direstions for a new heater), back side for a v drive, but front of the motor itself.
Hot water for the shower I teed off of this line. COld water for the shower I teed into the water supply for the dripless prop shaft seal. WOrks great, no cutting into major water lines on the boat and typically shower is not used when the boat is underway, so no possible damage to the shaft seal.
Black [/COLOR]and red hoses coming off the engine in the pic are both hot water sources.

Hi Thrall, sorry you moved out of Colorado, but how do you like Washington? Did you mean to say "blue and Red hoses"? If so can we see a better pic of where the Blue hose connects?

Jerseydave
07-14-2011, 10:24 PM
Hi Thrall, sorry you moved out of Colorado, but how do you like Washington? Did you mean to say "blue and Red hoses"? If so can we see a better pic of where the Blue hose connects?

I think the blue hose in the pic is the cold for the shower.

The larger diameter black hose coming off the top of engine should be hot for heater, small red hose is hot for shower.

Thrall
07-15-2011, 11:39 AM
I think the blue hose in the pic is the cold for the shower.

The larger diameter black hose coming off the top of engine should be hot for heater, small red hose is hot for shower.

Correct.
I don't have a pic of the cold water connection, but it's fairly simple. Find the 3/8 water line that goes to the prop shaft seal. Cut a 3/8 tee into that line. Caution I used a plastic tee that come with either my heater or shower kit and it worked fine the first yr. When I went to disconnect it to drain water back from the shower pump for winterzation, all 3 hose barbs snapped off. I replaced w/ a brass tee from the hardware store.
If your boat doesn't have a dripless seal, you'll have to find another location. I believe the shower kit came w/ a 5/8 x 5/8 x 3/8 tee to hook into one of the larger hoses. I was just trying to do the least amount of cannibalization to my major cooling lines to install teh accessories.

jvbaca, SOrry I had to move as well, but can't turn down a good job, got transferred by my current employer. Washington is nice so far. Good boating weather is still sketchy even in July, hopefully that shapes up in Aug/Sept. Mtns and all the water/scenery is great, but I'd still take CO any day of the week, not a bad 2nd choice so far though.