PDA

View Full Version : Diagnosing 2 things

redwings0921
07-14-2011, 01:29 PM
I've been spending the past few weeks fixing up various things on my boat, but I ran into 2 issues that are a bit over my head. Boat is a 99 x-star with perfect pass stargazer recently installed.

When turning left I really have to fight to turn it there and back to center while moving. While idle/slow I can still feel resistance, but nothing like it is when I am going fast. It takes 2 hands with someone being pulled at 19 mph, and I feel like that is unsafe. I believe the steering cable was replaced before I bought it. Any ideas?

The throttle just seems overall jumpy. Would it be possible to but a new throttle, connect it to the throttle cable and go? and if so, where could I buy this, I have not been able to find one online.

One more thing... how hard would it be to change the prop while in the water? I definitely want to do it, but I will wait until it is out of the water in the winter to do so.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

woodrowskis
07-14-2011, 01:51 PM
Changing prop: I have not done it but think you could if visibiity is ok. However, have spare nut, keyway, etc. and tie a cord to something and the puller.

Throttle:
Not sure if you still have a stepper motor and a cable for throttle with your stargazer (could have upgraded to fly by wire)). But if it does make sure there is no slack in the perfect pass cable (at the perfect pass stepper motor.)

Holman J.B.F
07-14-2011, 02:00 PM
steering problem
start with greasing the rudderbox,it should have a grease jerk on it.
if the problem isn,t solved you might need a new steering cable.

to change the prop while in the water,...depends on how long you can hold your breathe,.but you,ll defenitly need a prop puller.
good luck

redwings0921
07-14-2011, 02:09 PM
what does the rudder box look like?

Holman J.B.F
07-14-2011, 05:43 PM
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DISC-RPTNSLOTASS

Thrall
07-14-2011, 06:27 PM
Grease the rudder box and steering cable. It will always be harder to turn back against the prop rotation than with it. If that doesn't do it, may be time for a steering cable, unless the rudder bushings are completely trashed or something but then it would probably be leaking water in.
Throttle is jumpy like engine surges, or just not enough resistance in the throttle control?
If the latter, there is a way to adjsut teh resistance at the throttle handle assembly, but I don't know how, maybe search the Maint forums?

Jerseydave
07-14-2011, 06:44 PM
All good advise above, and most will be much easier to do if the boat is on the trailer.

Where are you in Jersey? Maybe I can help.

redwings0921
07-14-2011, 10:38 PM
All good advise above, and most will be much easier to do if the boat is on the trailer.

Where are you in Jersey? Maybe I can help.

I'm in Manahawkin. Where are you?

Jerseydave
07-15-2011, 07:43 AM
I'm in Manahawkin. Where are you?

The west coast (of Jersey) on the Delaware river, launching from Florence.
Fresh water, deep, big wakes! You should try it.