PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons of the 210

absolutezero
07-14-2011, 01:00 PM
I'm seeing a lot of maristar 210s on the used market. I'm also seeing a few x10s. I believe these are the same boat except the X came standard with tower and ballast.

What are the pros and cons of this boat? It seems that the prices are actually more reasonable than the 205v/X Star/X2/X1 prices I'm seeing.

brandon1515
07-14-2011, 04:42 PM
Love my 210. I have a young family and it fits us perfectly. The wife, friends and I can ski/board; the kids can tube. Or we can have a nice lazy day hanging on the lake. Plenty of room for all of our stuff. We've had 2 families on it (4 adults and 5 kids) and didn't feel cramped.

It doesn't shine in any one category but it does everything well.

davidstan
07-14-2011, 07:18 PM
210 was my boat for 7 years and loved it for the all round use and the 310 hp engine pulled great as it is not a heavy boat. Great on gas vs my X2. X2 is a gas hog with the mcx :)

bigmac
07-14-2011, 09:50 PM
Depends on the year. Between about 2001 and 2006, it was a good boat but there were problems:

-in tank fuel pump is prone to failure (~$500 repair)
-vinyl is poor quality and tends to crack at the seams, especially where stressed
-driver's armrest has a tendency to crack where attached and fall off
-HeaterCraft heater cores were poor quality and tend to leak after a couple of years
-ballast impellers on the X10s could be problematic and prone to failure
-dash rattles and squeaks
-propellers were cast and not CNC
-steering cables tended to lay in the bilge and would corrode within a few years
-rudder was small surface area, had higher steering effort than current boats (since 2006)

I base these observations on my own experience with my 2004 230VRS and my buddy's 2004 X-10.

willyt
07-15-2011, 10:04 AM
Not sure its fair to pin those all on the X10 -
Prop
fuel pump
vinyl (they actually figured this out in 2005, as my vinyl on a 2005 X2 is almost mint)
heatercraft
impellers
rudders
are common to all models during that timeframe. The old rudder had plenty of turning power for my X2... have the new rudder on it now and its kinda scary how much i can dig into the water on turns...

-V-
07-15-2011, 10:11 AM
my 210 is treating me right for being a 2000, haven't had any MAJOR issues yet. (knock on wood)

bigmac
07-15-2011, 12:00 PM
Not sure its fair to pin those all on the X10 -
Prop
fuel pump
vinyl (they actually figured this out in 2005, as my vinyl on a 2005 X2 is almost mint)
heatercraft
impellers
rudders
are common to all models during that timeframe. The old rudder had plenty of turning power for my X2... have the new rudder on it now and its kinda scary how much i can dig into the water on turns...

Of course. They represent design and manufacturing defects, pitfalls, or "opportunities for improvement" across the MasterCraft lineup. The point is that the 210/X-10, which is the boat the OP is looking at, is a boat that falls squarely into that 2001-2005 danger zone. If he buys a 210/X-10, he can expect to have to deal with all of those issues.

wakescene
07-15-2011, 12:30 PM
I'm seeing a lot of maristar 210s on the used market. I'm also seeing a few x10s. I believe these are the same boat except the X came standard with tower and ballast.

What are the pros and cons of this boat? It seems that the prices are actually more reasonable than the 205v/X Star/X2/X1 prices I'm seeing.

I think its a GREAT boat! I bought mine new in 2001, still have it and over 900 hours, still going strong. She is a Maristar 210VRS with the 330LTR motor. I added the tower and KGB ballast in the purchase. I have dealt with the steering cable issue (2x) and replaced the rudder in 2004. 2 new props from Acme. Never had the fuel pump problem. My Vinyl looks fantastic for it's age and use. No issues with the armrest (this is actually the first I have heard of this problem). I don't have a heater...No ballast pump issues except burnt out motors (I chalk this is as a usage issue. But are VERY easily replaced and cheap) They are the live well pumps in mine. Dash rattles and squeaks, COMMON on a boat with years and hours on it.

...and it's been in Saltwater it's entire life!

It does take some weight to get a really good wakeboard wake, but the stock ballast is great for beginner/Intermediate riders. We regularly run stock KGB ballast and 2x400lbs bags. 3-5 ppl in the boat, fuel and gear and it's awesome. We will add another 400lbs bag to the boat if we have 4 or less ppl.

Wakesurfing is fairly good. We slide the bags over and add some ppl on the Starboard side, 10.5-11mph and we are good to go.

The slalom wake is good (but larger than I like), even at 32+mph. I chalk this up to a slightly deeper V in the rear of the hull. But it's better than any I/O boat. Skiing is still great though.

The XStar/X1/X2 are narrower boats(for the respective model years), you may feel more cramped in this vs the 210/X10. But the layout is nearly identical. 210/X10 has more storage room as well.

All in all it's been a great boat for us, and we started a family 2 yrs ago and have no plans to replace this boat anytime soon.

east tx skier
07-15-2011, 01:38 PM
He can be a little temperamental, but, overall, he's a great guy. Oh, wait, you meant the boat? ;)

absolutezero
07-16-2011, 05:30 PM
So, while I realize they are totally different styles of boats, would you say the 210/X10 was aimed at the same market segment as the X2?

MC4SNETS
07-17-2011, 01:13 AM
What do you want to use it for?

I love my 2001 MariStar 210. It's a great wakeboard and surf boat. I found a good deal on mine and added a tower and ballast.....couldn't be happier. Bought it late late 2009 with 176 hours and now have about 245....almost 70 hours in a season an a half-ish.

Armrest: Yes, the 2001 (not sure what other years) will break off. The studs are glued to the inside of the plastic moulded armrest. They will break off. Later model tears screwed through. I screwed mine through after failed attempts to re-epoxy the studs on. I used a plastic screw cover from my local hardware store to acheive a stock look.....you would never know. Not a big deal to me, it's fixed.

My 2001 vinyl is great. No issues. I get many folks telling me they like my "new" boat and they are awed at it being 10 years old when I tell them.

Luckily, don't have first hand knowledge of the other issues listed.....

Love the storage, love the wake - surf and wakeboard. Boat handles great (I had an I/O for years before this one)

Whether the 210 or X-10, the hull design is classic and will be in style for years to come....IMHO.

In 2001, the 210/X-10 is 8 inches wider than the 205VRS and 3" wider than the X-Star....not to mention an extra 15 gallons fuel capacity.

FrankSchwab
07-17-2011, 12:05 PM
In '98, the 200VRS and 225VRS were major updates from the 97 and prior year Maristars. They were renamed the 210VRS and 230VRS in '99, though they are the same boat.

I've got the '98, and I love it. The ski wake is taller than my buddy's '94 PS190, but this works so much better as a family boat. There's plenty of room for 8 people (two families of four), we've had 10 but it starts getting a bit cramped. The USCG placard shows 11.

The freeboard is much higher on this boat than the PS190, so you can't as easily pick up a dropped hat out of the lake - conversely, it's a lot harder to scoop 50 gallons of water over the bow. Didn't stop my wife from covering me with water as I sat in the bow last week.

The '98s don't have the same fuel pump issue as some of the later models. On mine, the fuel pump is external, and I've never had a lick of trouble. I think there was generally a problem with fuel pumps in the early 2000's - I was looking into a used Suburban of that vintage, and they were having the same issues.

My boat carries a 45 gallon fuel tank. Wow, is that nice.

I've never had a problem with the steering cable, but I don't think it's any worse than expected - on occasion, you may have to replace the cable.

My vinyl has been fine. In 4 or 5 years I may need to replace the sundeck skin, because I have to store my boat outside and the boat cover lies flat on the sundeck here in the Arizona sun; it gets hot.

The storage is awesome - If I was in another line of work, I figure I could smuggle 10 or 12 people across the border in the storage spaces in the boat, none of them would be visible, and most would be relatively comfortable.

With a good price, these are great boats.

/frank