PDA

View Full Version : 1993 205 prostar steering

smithlakeskier
07-14-2011, 12:27 AM
I have a 1993 prostar 205 the prop was recently repaired because it was bent slightly at the tip of two of the blades. Before the prop was repaired the steering pulled to the right slowly if you just took your hands off the wheel. Now it jerks to the right if I take my hands off the wheel. I know it is going to be not track perfectly straight because of the way the prop spins but this just not right. Especially since my '80 s&s tracks perfectly straight. Sury the steering technology got better over a whole decade. If anyone has any suggestions please tell.

O2BESOHUGE
07-14-2011, 10:15 AM
the way the water is and dealing with a rudder, im sure every boat here would turn some if you took your hands off the wheel. mine does that too

east tx skier
07-14-2011, 10:32 AM
Welcome. It sounds like you have a lot of experience with these boats. So you probably know this, but since you're new to the forum, I'll mention it just in case.

Look at your rudder. Does it have the starboard trailing edge slightly and uniformly ground away like from top to bottom like the one in this picture (the stock rudder from my old 93 205)? If so, that is what is causing the pull. If that is the case, I don't know why it hasn't always done this, but it is an intentional modification to cause your steering to be loaded to make it easier to hold the boat in a straight line, i.e., you can lock in your track rather than having to make constant corrections.

So far as I know, all of the rudders in 93 were ground at the factory for this feature.

smithlakeskier
07-14-2011, 10:48 AM
Thanks east tx skier I will double check for the proper rudder shape but i had it inspected by the dealerwhen the prop was repaired(surely they would know the correct rudder shape). 02besohuge I know it is going to pull some, but I turns so hard I could throw someone not paying attention out of the boat! I think this pulls more than it is supposed to.

east tx skier
07-14-2011, 10:51 AM
Thanks east tx skier I will double check for the proper rudder shape but i had it inspected by the dealerwhen the prop was repaired(surely they would know the correct rudder shape). 02besohuge I know it is going to pull some, but I turns so hard I could throw someone not paying attention out of the boat! I think this pulls more than it is supposed to.

Mine would spin the steering wheel at above 20 mph if you let go of the wheel. Once I got used to it and told my wife that she couldn't mess with her hair when she was driving the boat, I loved it and would never want a boat that didn't load the rudder like that. The torque from the prop will cause a slight bit of pull in the steering, but if your wheel is spinning, it's the grind in the rudder's trailing edge and it is how it is supposed to be.

TxsRiverRat
07-14-2011, 10:55 AM
My 93 had the rudder filed down heavy on one side to make it pull to the right on purpose... The reason is to create a pull to the right at the end of a pass down the slalom course when dropping a skier (and the skier retains the handle rather than tossing it).

The fix is to file down the opposite side of the rudder...

east tx skier
07-14-2011, 10:57 AM
The fix is to file down the opposite side of the rudder...

The fix is to get used to it. ;)

TxsRiverRat
07-14-2011, 11:02 AM
LMAO! Well, yeah, thats one way to deal with it... But the original owner of my boat had it shaved really severely... :)

east tx skier
07-14-2011, 11:16 AM
LMAO! Well, yeah, thats one way to deal with it... But the original owner of my boat had it shaved really severely... :)

One of the owner's of my current boat filed the rudder to neutral. I worked on the opposite side until I was afraid I wouldn't have anything left and couldn't get it loaded to my satisfaction. Finally bit the bullet and sprung for a rudder with a trim tab on it and am much happier.

oldairboater
07-14-2011, 11:23 AM
Mine has the factory edge and every boat I have ever owned loaded the rudder. If you want to feel something that sucks--drive an airboat with neutral rudders. They will work you to death.