PDA

View Full Version : Help with No-Wake zone

mrm2083
07-13-2011, 07:16 PM
Any of you who live in Miami are most likely familiar with Marine Stadium. It is a man made basin about 1,500 ft wide and 5,000 ft long in Biscayne Bay. It was originally created for boat racing events and concerts on the water. Anyways, it has been the local spot for water sports ever since I can remember but a few years ago was turned into a No-Wake Zone. The reason a No-Wake Zone was created was due to a rowing club that kept complaining because there practices were being disturbed by wakeboarders, waterskiers, etc. Anyways, I have been doing a lot of research on the city's ability to just suddenly create a No-wake zone and have a feeling they cant do what they did. Under the Florida Administrative Code, the Marine Stadium basin is not part of the manatee zone. Under Florida statute a no wake zone can be created for multiple reasons, however it must be necessary and must be approved by the US Cost Guard and Army Corpse of Engineers.

Here is the problem. First off there is no state or city law that I can find making marine stadium a no wake zone. I have a feeling the city just stuck some signs out there and told the cops to enforce it. Second, even if there is some law, I don't think they have a legal basis for it.

If anyone knows anything about the creation of no wake zones I would really appreciate it as I feel the city is robbing us of the only spot for watersports in Biscayne Bay.