PDA

View Full Version : 03 X30 prop help?

stennes
07-13-2011, 12:16 PM
I have a 03 X30, the stock prop is a 14/20, it has quite a few dings in it, and has started a slight vibration/cavitation issue. My plan is to straighten this one and purchase another one and keep the stocker as a spare. Now comes the fun part, I believe its a 1-1/8th shaft, splined of course, my question here is after looking at discount inboards web site I see ACME or OJ, I'm looking at both but OJ also has 4 blade Force and XMP, more decisions, and what ratio do I want?
Thanks!
Mike

meg
07-13-2011, 01:30 PM
For my 06 X30 OJ reccomended 14.75x15.5

stennes
07-13-2011, 02:03 PM
For my 06 X30 OJ reccomended 14.75x15.5
But are not the 06 and newer bigger and heavier? They look like it, as I'm going to be trading mine in or selling it this fall for a 06 or newer. I'am looking for a good all around prop, as I would like one for crusing which it seems we have been doing more of as of late. My set up is a 350 horse, if that makes a differance, to be honest I cant remember if there was even a choice when I bought it.

Smoothie
07-13-2011, 03:04 PM
OJ has that new XM5 I think. Travis Moye is going on and on about it and awesome it is. Might want to ask about it as well. Its a 5 blade prop.

bigmac
07-13-2011, 03:31 PM
I bought an Acme 847 13.5 LH 17.5 four blade nibral spline bore .105 cup for my '04 230VRS w/ MCX a few years ago and it's performed extremely well. Great hole shot, top speed 49 mph (one person, light ripple). It does turn up about 5300 RPM, which is a little hot. I keep meaning to send it in and add a little cup, just haven't got around to it. I don't know if the 2002's had a splined shaft or compression shaft, so make sure you know which it is.

If I were you, I'd call Acme or OJ and ask them for advice on which prop. Since you have an OJ, I might be inclined to go that way, send them the old prop to rebuild and buy a new one that they recommend. Both places have excellent customer service and will be happy to talk to you on the phone about it.

stennes
07-13-2011, 03:40 PM
OJ has that new XM5 I think. Travis Moye is going on and on about it and awesome it is. Might want to ask about it as well. Its a 5 blade prop.

I dont see it on their site:confused:

stennes
07-13-2011, 03:42 PM
I bought an Acme 847 13.5 LH 17.5 four blade nibral spline bore .105 cup for my '04 230VRS w/ MCX a few years ago and it's performed extremely well. Great hole shot, top speed 49 mph (one person, light ripple). It does turn up about 5300 RPM, which is a little hot. I keep meaning to send it in and add a little cup, just haven't got around to it. I don't know if the 2002's had a splined shaft or compression shaft, so make sure you know which it is.

If I were you, I'd call Acme or OJ and ask them for advice on which prop. Since you have an OJ, I might be inclined to go that way, send them the old prop to rebuild and buy a new one that they recommend. Both places have excellent customer service and will be happy to talk to you on the phone about it.

Its a 03 and its splined. Same basic boat as yours. Thanks

Jeff d
07-13-2011, 05:19 PM
I've heard OJ offers a free prop repair with purchase of a new prop. I'd check on that because you could get your old prop fixed up like new which is a $75-150 value depending on how bad it is.

Jerseydave
07-13-2011, 07:05 PM
I had the same exact boat as you with that same stock prop.

I replaced it with an OJ 13.7 X 17. Performance was great without loosing any top end and cruising ability. Plus they are everywhere for low $$.

Next choice would be an OJ 14.75 X 15.5 which will give you more holeshot but you will lose some fuel economy and top speed. I have this one on my current X-star (heavier, wetter hull)

bigmac
07-13-2011, 08:43 PM
Its a 03 and its splined. Same basic boat as yours. Thanks

As I recall, that's a cast prop that came with those boats. It's not CNC.

TallRedRider
07-14-2011, 07:55 PM
If you are considering the OJ mentioned above, you should buy my prop at less than half the price.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with it, or you would see it in the pics. It has never been reworked and literally has only been used a couple of times, as if that matters in a prop that has never been dinged.

$225 takes it. I am getting very eager to move it as that it should find a good home before fall.

If anyone has any constructive criticism on why not to buy it, I would be happy to listen. I guess price will just have to go down a little further. I paid nearly $600 for it 2 years ago to keep it as a spare in my X45 and have since sold that boat.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=16234323&cat=&lpid=2&search=mastercraft