PDA

View Full Version : Chevrolet Cruze Diesel

captain planet
07-13-2011, 10:02 AM
I read in the paper last night that in 2013 Chevrolet will be offering the Cruze in a diesel. This sounds great. Finally an "American" car company putting out a small diesel car. MYMC, you have any insight into this?

captain planet
07-13-2011, 11:39 AM
http://www.dailytech.com/Chevrolet+Cruze+Diesel+to+Hit+Dealer+Lots+in+2013/article22130.htm

I found this.

I'll have to check this out in a year and a half when it comes out.........unless it ends up like the Chevrolet Volt which nobody can find.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-13-2011, 12:06 PM
http://www.dailytech.com/Chevrolet+Cruze+Diesel+to+Hit+Dealer+Lots+in+2013/article22130.htm

I found this.

I'll have to check this out in a year and a half when it comes out.........unless it ends up like the Chevrolet Volt which nobody can find.

How well do you suppose it will pull the Prostar:rolleyes:

captain planet
07-13-2011, 12:40 PM
How well do you suppose it will pull the Prostar:rolleyes:

I don't know, I haven't seen a torque curve. :rolleyes: However, I'll bet it will get me back and forth form the office quite nicely. ;)

I'm actually a little excited about hearing this.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-13-2011, 12:42 PM
That kind of mileage would be nice.

DemolitionMan
07-13-2011, 12:51 PM
That kind of mileage would be nice.

That kind of mileage would be nice in a MC.:D

MIMC
07-13-2011, 01:54 PM
CP -

Yes we are working on a Diesel Cruze! :) With that being said, Europe will most likely see the vehicle first. Just because GM is working on it, I'm not so sure it will actually make production for North America. :( I agree with you this vehicle is needed in North America but diesel fuel is still expensive and diesel engines in small cars have not yet been fully "embraced" by the mass of the North American buying public. But hey, electric vehicles were not "embraced" either, but GM can't build enough Volt's to keep up with demand either. All I know for sure at this time is that we are actively working on the Cruze Diesel as if it was a mainstream product. As I learn more I will try to remember and post updates.

MIMC

Duane D
07-13-2011, 04:23 PM
That sounds awesome! I always thought that a diesel would make for a much more efficient hybrid drivetrain since they are 30% (give or take) more efficient than a gasoline counterpart. I have never understood why we Americans shy away from diesel as much as we do. My wife is British and I love going over there to drive the cool cars that get 40 to 50 mpg all day long. Heck, even a diesel Land Rover in the UK can easily pull down 30+ mpg.

I thought I saw somewhere in the MC catalog or online that you could get a VW Tdi in some of the MC models. It went away shortly after I saw it, so I can't verify. With the torque these smaller engines can make and the gains in efficiency, I would be glad to drive a small/family car with a diesel or have one in my boat!!

Jerseydave
07-13-2011, 08:10 PM
CP -

Yes we are working on a Diesel Cruze! :) With that being said, Europe will most likely see the vehicle first. Just because GM is working on it, I'm not so sure it will actually make production for North America. :( I agree with you this vehicle is needed in North America but diesel fuel is still expensive and diesel engines in small cars have not yet been fully "embraced" by the mass of the North American buying public. But hey, electric vehicles were not "embraced" either, but GM can't build enough Volt's to keep up with demand either. All I know for sure at this time is that we are actively working on the Cruze Diesel as if it was a mainstream product. As I learn more I will try to remember and post updates.

MIMC

Any talk of GM coming out with a diesel Suburban/Yukon? Maybe with the 4.6 diesel I heard was on display at a Kentucky RV show not too long ago? (gets almost 30 mpg) :)

MIMC
07-25-2011, 12:10 PM
FYI - officially a go!

Chevrolet Confirms Diesel Variant for Cruze in 2013 Chevrolet confirmed today it will add a diesel variant to the Cruze lineup in North America in calendar year 2013. Diesel versions of the Cruze are currently being sold in Europe. Additional details on the Cruze diesel for North American markets will be released at a later date. The diesel will bolster the already fuel-efficient Cruze lineup. Cruze Eco with a standard six-speed manual transmission, is the most fuel-efficient gas-powered/non-hybrid vehicle in America, with an EPA-rated 42 mpg on the highway.

Thanks!
MIMC

dihrdskir
07-30-2011, 07:21 PM
We've had them here for about three years. 2011 is the first year that they are locally made having originally been manufactured in Korea. The reviews are fairly positive and the car enjoys good sales. Holden is the australian arm of GM

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/51865/2011-holden-series-ii-cruze-cdx-diesel-road-test-review