PDA

View Full Version : Engine Re-build?

krra1
07-13-2011, 06:56 AM
Noticed a lot of people selling their boats comment that the engine was re-built at some point. What exactly does that mean? My boat is 21 years old and has 500 hours on it, I bought it 6 years ago and it had 182. What are signs that the engine is going to need to be re-built?
I do all the general maintenance, change oil every 40-50 hours, replace impeller each year, winterize, tune up every few years. change trans. fluid each year, replace the belt every two years and anything else that will help keep the engine running correctly. Any help understanding what a re-build is would be great.
Thanks.

TLR67
07-13-2011, 07:42 AM
Mine is 21 Years Old with over 1000 on it.. I used it primarily for Barefooting WOT... I do the same maininence.. A Rebuild in my book is everything fresh inside the engine.. Pistons, Rigs, Valves ect.. Even a new Crank... Its easier simply to just buy a Crate Motor and bolt up and go...

Muttley
07-13-2011, 12:05 PM
To some, a rebuild can be just a ring job, cylinder hone and a head gasket. But, while the motor is apart, you might as well grind the valves, adjust the springs, valve seals, (ie: do the heads) crank bearing, cam shaft, timing chain... yada, yada...

A low hour boat with a rebuilt engine can mean poor maintainance. Engines don't like to sit for long periods. If you don't winterize properly (fog the motor, etc.) moisture can form on the cylinder walls causing rust which leads to excessive ring/cylinder wear, leading to oil "blowing by" the pistons. Or, if the oil gets low and the engine runs too hot for too long you could blow out the head gasket or warp the heads, or you could have a catastrophic failure like if you throw a rod or put a hole in the piston, or throw a bearing, etc.

Signs you need a rebuild: Blowing smoke, using a lot of oil, loss of compression, oil spewing through the dipstick, excessive oil leaking into the bilge.... after many hours (1500 - 3000 depending on maintenance) engines get tired. With a leaky head gasket you will see oil or water seeping out of it.

If you maintain your boat like you say, don't even worry about it.

absolutezero
07-13-2011, 03:55 PM
Mine is 21 Years Old with over 1000 on it.. I used it primarily for Barefooting WOT... I do the same maininence.. A Rebuild in my book is everything fresh inside the engine.. Pistons, Rigs, Valves ect.. Even a new Crank... Its easier simply to just buy a Crate Motor and bolt up and go...

wouldn't a crate motor be much more expensive than a rebuild?