PDA

View Full Version : 1983 Stars

lukedeuce
07-12-2011, 10:31 PM
After growing up on a lake full of Ski Nautiques and Master Craft Boats and 6 years of looking for a Master Craft, I finally found a 1983 Stars and Strips on Fourth of July. Got the test drive in on Saturday Morning and purchased it right there on the spot. All in all, it is a pretty clean boat with around 180 hours. Some TLC is needed in a few spots, but for a boat that is older than me, I can live with it. I will get some pictures taken with an actual camera and not my cell phone to post.

I have done some searching on this forum, but haven't been able to find everything I am looking for.

Not sure if posting all my questions in one post is best, or split it up...

On the instrument panel, the toggles aren't marked and not sure what everything is. I know one is for bilge, blower, lights, etc. Anyone able to start from the top and name them off? There are some additional fuses to the left of the steering wheel, anyone know what these are for?

I read the trailer bar changed to a boat buddy thread, but has anyone used the Ski Nautique trailer method with the two vertical bars at the nose? Unloading is a single person job, but loading is a two person job and my girlfriend is not knowledgeable enough yet to drive the boat, or drive my truck/trailer.

Missing the mirror - anyone know where to get a replacement?

The floor was just replaced last year, and the upholstery will need to be done in the next year or two. I am missing the runners down the sides and it appears from other boats they run the length of the inside. Anyone have close ups of how far down they come compared to the fiberglass? Want to try to get as close to original as possible.

Some items that I know i will need to get done over the summer:
Replace light bar on bottom of trailer, re-wire side markers (probably do the entire trailer), replace pitot tubes, refurnish wood instrument panels, install depth meter, buff out gel coat and replace with OEM stars as these are starting to crack, sand blast and repaint the trailer.

I am sure that there will be more questions along the way that this forum will be able to help out!

thatsmrmastercraft
07-12-2011, 10:56 PM
Congrats on purchasing a fine boat and welcome to the family. Looks like you are off to a good start with a handful of manageable questions. Someone will be along either tonight or tomorrow to answer your 83 specific questions. The only thing you are missing is pictures!

And about that 180 hours - more likely 1180. 180 would be insanely low for an 83.

JJMorris3
07-12-2011, 11:26 PM
1180 for an 83 would be nice and low, considering! Congrats. Post a few pix!

tph
07-13-2011, 01:17 AM
Is it a mid to late year model with the fiberglass stringers?

oxberger
07-13-2011, 02:56 PM
Congrats on your purchase and welcome! I'm sure you'll love that boat once you have everything done to it you want. I have an '85, but I think the toggles are the same. I'll try and list those for you later when I get home. Not sure where to get a replacement mirror. I need one for mine.

ski_king
07-13-2011, 02:59 PM
Dash switches top to bottom:

Blower
Bilge
Bilge Auto
Navigation Light (front)
Anchor Light (rear)

I may have the bilge and bilge auto reversed.

03geetee
07-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Do a search on this forum of my restoration thread to see all the interior shots you would need. The combing boards which you are referring to run the length of the interior along the gunnel as follows...

Driver side starts after the throttle stick and runs all the way to the stern.

Passenger side starts just after the observers chair and again runs all the way to the stern. I have a GREAT guy in the midwest that can do your interior if you are up for it. Here is a link to what the interior of an 83' would have looked like new, about as close as you are gonna get.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=41369&highlight=sink

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/o3geetee/Summer2011058.jpg

Lets see this bad boy!

JTR

83starsstripes
07-13-2011, 06:16 PM
blower bilge auto bilge nav and anchor il have to check mine this weekend but almost positive thats right

03geetee
07-13-2011, 06:20 PM
blower bilge auto bilge nav and anchor il have to check mine this weekend but almost positive thats right

You are correct!

JTR

stars83stripes
07-13-2011, 06:31 PM
I'll also confirm that. If you (or anyone else here) could do me a favor, could you list the fuse amperage ratings for each of those switches?

liledgy
07-13-2011, 07:23 PM
The fuses on the left are for the ignition and the horn. I personally like the loading bar and would never change it to the newer loading buddy. The bar will never malfunction on you, the buddy system has springs and other moving parts that will malfunction. You can also load by yourself, you just might have to go over the windshieldore than once. The key is to put the boat in the proper depth of water. If your back end is floating your to deep.

83starsstripes
07-13-2011, 08:00 PM
Now that il have to check to be for sure

WilliM1940
07-13-2011, 08:21 PM
Nothing special about the standard mirror, it is a west coast truck mirror laying down. Got a replacement at the local car parts store. Many people eliminate this mirror anyway and go to a windshield mount Cipa.

lukedeuce
07-13-2011, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the help so far Guys. It is very much appreciated!

Passenger side starts just after the observers chair and again runs all the way to the stern. I have a GREAT guy in the midwest that can do your interior if you are up for it. Here is a link to what the interior of an 83' would have looked like new, about as close as you are gonna get.

Lets see this bad boy!

JTR

Who and where is he located? Decently priced?

I am going to try and get some pictures up here tonight

lukedeuce
07-13-2011, 08:57 PM
Here are some pictures that I took with my phone the day i found it. I will try to get some decent pictures with an actual camera this weekend

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6148/5935574130_05dded6244.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6007/5935013343_5d68889eec_z.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6139/5935013089_b4f79cc0a8_z.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6131/5935573382_9056269d1b_z.jpg

03geetee
07-13-2011, 11:10 PM
Boat appears to be all there and looks like the Gel is in great shape. Interior definitely has been changed, and not all 83s had combing boards so look for the anchor holes for the screws in the gunnels. If they are there then it had them and they were removed, if no holes it never had them to begin with.

Get some water pics up soon I love the old S and S boats.

JTR

thatsmrmastercraft
07-13-2011, 11:23 PM
Great looking boat Luke. Can't wait for some quality pics.

kevkan
07-13-2011, 11:36 PM
Thats a great looking boat. Very little to go wrong with it, and the ski wake will be awesome.

That trailer "lock bar" or whatever has a bend in it, that shouldn't be there. Also, that winch set up looks odd to me.

Two lessons from my '85 with similar trailer set up:
1) In 24 years I never pulled the boat out of the water by myself. It always took someone standing there holding the bar to latch it. If the boat was "dead in the water" it was a real pain to get the boat on the trailer.
2) Never lock the winch, or that aftermarket safety chain, while the boat is still in the water. Leave the winch loose, hook through the bow eye/bar. If the ramp is steep, and the back of the boat is floating, you will break a cable, or worse, when you pull out.

You will love that boat I am sure.

barefoot
07-14-2011, 11:38 AM
Missing the mirror - anyone know where to get a replacement?

The mirror is essentially a semi truck mirror. You can pick one up from a truck stop or order it from some place like this (http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/ryder/af/ryder/core/nav/srm/oid/-9125/erm/browse.do)...

lukedeuce
07-14-2011, 10:20 PM
The key is to put the boat in the proper depth of water. If your back end is floating your to deep.

I had an I/O before this and the best way to load that was with the transom floating. I asked the guy when I bought it how far he backed in the water and he said the same, get the transom to float with the fenders mostly under the water while leaving the top of the fenders barely breaking the water.

Is this too far?

onejdgreen
07-14-2011, 10:54 PM
Here are some pictures that I took with my phone the day i found it. I will try to get some decent pictures with an actual camera this weekend

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6148/5935574130_05dded6244.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6007/5935013343_5d68889eec_z.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6139/5935013089_b4f79cc0a8_z.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6131/5935573382_9056269d1b_z.jpg

I see it has Iowa Reg. Where in Iowa are you?

tex599
07-14-2011, 11:19 PM
I just got one and still learning how to load onto the trailer. My other boats you could put the trailer with the fenders out, on this one it seems you have to go deeper, almost covering the fenders. First time we were not deep enough and broke the winch when the rear came down as we pulled it out of the water. Do make sure to leave slack in the the winch line and then tighten once out of the water. Not an expert yet, but getting better at it.

lukedeuce
07-14-2011, 11:20 PM
I see it has Iowa Reg. Where in Iowa are you?
Cedar Rapids. But go all over IA. You close?

83starsstripes
07-14-2011, 11:24 PM
on our stars and stripes we load with fenders just a inch or so under water and we power load ours..we dont have a winch

onejdgreen
07-14-2011, 11:39 PM

Not really. I live in MN now, used to live near Ankeny, but spend most of my lake time in MN or at the family lake house on Lost Island in NW Iowa

lukedeuce
07-14-2011, 11:55 PM
Now I have some stupid questions....

Eyelet on the bow used for?

Rings on the stern used for? I would assume not for towables, but could be wrong?

I haven't found any good way to tie down the transom without drilling into the trailer to put eyelets in the side and use straps from there to the swim platform brackets. What do others do? I have seen pictures of others using straps over the beam and hooked onto large hoops on the trailer fender, but i do not have those

454Prostar190
07-15-2011, 01:00 AM
Congratulations! Nice boat!

I have a tandem axle trailer, without a boat buddy. I try to get my trailer in deep enough to glide in and hook the bar. Then, let the trailer come up to the boat on the way out. It allows the boat to 'set' onto the trailer softly.

WFO MasterCraft
07-15-2011, 01:05 AM
Me too, I'd like to see some pics on how people tie down the back. I was thinking about making some straps that slide between the transom and swim platform and use the eyelets but I am weary about using those because I haven had the fuel tank out to see the strength of the anchoring.

onejdgreen
07-15-2011, 09:41 AM
Now I have some stupid questions....

Eyelet on the bow used for?

Rings on the stern used for? I would assume not for towables, but could be wrong?

I haven't found any good way to tie down the transom without drilling into the trailer to put eyelets in the side and use straps from there to the swim platform brackets. What do others do? I have seen pictures of others using straps over the beam and hooked onto large hoops on the trailer fender, but i do not have those

The loop on the bow and hooks on the back can serve many purposes, they are actually lifting points if you were to lift the boat. The one on the bow is where you can hook the cable/rope for your extended pylon, rope to tie off to the dock, etc. Ones on the back can be used for towables.

As for strapping down the transom, I dont know if I would hook to the platform brackets. I would figure out a way to use the hooks on the back of the boat.

tph
07-15-2011, 12:27 PM
[QUOTE=onejdgreen;771737] The one on the bow is where you can hook the cable/rope for your extended pylon

I don't think the bow lifting ring is really designed for the backward pull of an extended pylon cable. I reinforced mine to use it for that purpose.

bertinoracing
07-18-2011, 12:55 AM
Latch the front bar with the winch hook and your done, you could tow that boat across the country and it might move an inch . Ive had my 83 for 25 years now and never had a problem on the trailer.

onejdgreen
07-18-2011, 11:09 AM
[QUOTE=onejdgreen;771737] The one on the bow is where you can hook the cable/rope for your extended pylon

I don't think the bow lifting ring is really designed for the backward pull of an extended pylon cable. I reinforced mine to use it for that purpose.

We've been hooking ours there for years and havent had a problem. Now you have me curious to check it out...

chawk610
07-18-2011, 11:15 AM
on our stars and stripes we load with fenders just a inch or so under water and we power load ours..we dont have a winch

Ditto that... it is easy with 2 people. Congrats, I have the exact same boat... you are gonna enjoy plenty of lake time in that beauty!!!

lukedeuce
07-23-2011, 07:06 PM
any good recommendations on an extended pylon? I don't want to do a tower. Was thinking about a Fly High but not sure if it would fit over my pylon.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-23-2011, 08:12 PM
I have a Fly High for my '77. In order to fit you would need to trim the cross pieces a little. I cut mine with a sawzall and used a file to reshape the ends to the proper radius. Just an aluminum bar...........if I ever decide to go back to the original look I can just tap out the shortened piece ad machine a replacement.

lukedeuce
07-28-2011, 10:05 PM
I have a Fly High for my '77. In order to fit you would need to trim the cross pieces a little. I cut mine with a sawzall and used a file to reshape the ends to the proper radius. Just an aluminum bar...........if I ever decide to go back to the original look I can just tap out the shortened piece ad machine a replacement.

What diameter did you have to get? I haven't had time to go out and measure mine. I don't have the cross piece on my pylon

thatsmrmastercraft
07-28-2011, 10:26 PM
What diameter did you have to get? I haven't had time to go out and measure mine. I don't have the cross piece on my pylon

I have the Barefoot International Stainless Steel Fly High Extended Pylon. It is 2 1/2" ID

ssippiriverrat
07-29-2011, 02:11 PM

you go to the res?

ssippiriverrat
07-29-2011, 02:17 PM
any good recommendations on an extended pylon? I don't want to do a tower. Was thinking about a Fly High but not sure if it would fit over my pylon.

fly high works--i have one as well--but with poles you do notice that a sharp wakeboard cut in the flats will pull the boat sideways--ive heard that towers reduce this somewhat

thatsmrmastercraft
07-29-2011, 02:24 PM
fly high works--i have one as well--but with poles you do notice that a sharp wakeboard cut in the flats will pull the boat sideways--ive heard that towers reduce this somewhat

Small price to pay in order to keep the classic lines of an early boat unencumbered.

ssippiriverrat
07-29-2011, 02:37 PM
Small price to pay in order to keep the classic lines of an early boat unencumbered.

agreed, but if your not carefully the pull will flatten the wake considerably

lukedeuce
08-03-2011, 07:30 PM
you go to the res?

Yeah, but try to stay out of there during the weekends. Too many stupid people and drunks

lukedeuce
08-03-2011, 07:34 PM
Felt a slip this weekend when we were out tooling around. It hit at 2000 rpm, so I backed off down to idle speed and tried again. Got up on plane with no problems. It started to worry me and i tried again to find it slipping again. Tried a third time and had to get on the throttle slowly for it not to slip.

When i purchased the boat, I found an empty bottle of Dexron 3 way up in the nose of the boat, now wondering if there is a leak or what is going on. Found some slight residue when i looked last night with the plug out.

Any suggestions on what to check?

thatsmrmastercraft
08-03-2011, 08:40 PM
Felt a slip this weekend when we were out tooling around. It hit at 2000 rpm, so I backed off down to idle speed and tried again. Got up on plane with no problems. It started to worry me and i tried again to find it slipping again. Tried a third time and had to get on the throttle slowly for it not to slip.

When i purchased the boat, I found an empty bottle of Dexron 3 way up in the nose of the boat, now wondering if there is a leak or what is going on. Found some slight residue when i looked last night with the plug out.

Any suggestions on what to check?

Is the trans fluid to the proper mark warmed up? What does the fluid look and smell like?

lukedeuce
08-03-2011, 08:43 PM
Is the trans fluid to the proper mark warmed up? What does the fluid look and smell like?
It had a pinkish look to it. I did not smell it

thatsmrmastercraft
08-03-2011, 08:47 PM
It had a pinkish look to it. I did not smell it

Thing to look for that could cause it to slip is under/over filled, burned, or water in the fluid. Under /over filled will cause the fluid to aerate and not lubricate well. Burned would show as dark and having a burned smell. Water in the fluid would show as milky.

lukedeuce
08-15-2011, 11:12 PM
looking for a OEM fuel gauge. Needle on my gauge is not present and want to get new one on instead of assuming how much gas in in tank.

Anyone have one or know where to get one? I have checked several online stores, but can't find one close enough for my liking.

thanks

Storm34
08-16-2011, 05:37 PM
you go to the res?

We will be out to the Res here in a few weeks. We all have the "other" brand of boat but it'd be fun to hook up with some fellow classic boat owners!

ssippiriverrat
08-17-2011, 03:38 AM
We will be out to the Res here in a few weeks. We all have the "other" brand of boat but it'd be fun to hook up with some fellow classic boat owners!

Res has plenty of crafts out there...I would/will be as soon as I get a new prop shaft :(

lukedeuce
08-17-2011, 10:01 AM
Res has plenty of crafts out there...I would/will be as soon as I get a new prop shaft :(

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=41.635155,-91.524342

the number of master crafts that i have seen from last year to this year has sky rocketed it seems. i saw maybe 1 or two on the cedar and now its at least 4-5 every weekend.

ill probably be out on the res this weekend instead of the cedar.

Storm34
08-17-2011, 12:02 PM
I'll actually be up in Cedar Falls later this week for work so we won't make it over to the res this weekend. How late do you guys keep your boats in the water? We may look at something shortly after labor day so we don't have to worry about the weekend wallys.

Who's up for a CC vs MC race?!

lukedeuce
08-17-2011, 01:20 PM
I'll actually be up in Cedar Falls later this week for work so we won't make it over to the res this weekend. How late do you guys keep your boats in the water? We may look at something shortly after labor day so we don't have to worry about the weekend wallys.

Who's up for a CC vs MC race?!

it's iowa so its hard to judge how long the seasons last each year.

how many skiers behind the boat for the race? what do u have

Storm34
08-21-2011, 11:40 AM
We have a few guys who were planning to have a get together after the holiday when everyones schedules calm down. So a date is still up in the air?

We will be bringing up an 84 Ski Tique for sure and then either a 78 Ski Tique or a 96 SNOB. Trying to talk my ski buddy here to drag out his 06 X1 as well. One of the CCF guys (Mike) owns a '00 Sport that I'm sure will be there. His buddy works at Bobbers and also has at least one CC. He also has a buddy with an older Centurion. Would be a good time to get some old boats together on the water.

I'm down for whatever "competitions" we can come up with. Maybe a long distance ski run (probably slalom), then some holeshot races or something along those lines would be fun. Mike does a lot of show ski stuff so I'm sure we can get some good skiing/footing done. He may even be able to bring out a Hydrodyne?!

lukedeuce
10-08-2011, 10:06 AM
Figured I put up a few pictures from our camping weekend on the river

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/312141_715321578379_71807413_35487086_1857257448_n .jpg
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/320168_714720303339_71807413_35476825_1927868_n.jp g

mikeg205
10-08-2011, 11:07 AM
nice picss

thatsmrmastercraft
10-08-2011, 10:22 PM
Figured I put up a few pictures from our camping weekend on the river

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/312141_715321578379_71807413_35487086_1857257448_n .jpg
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/320168_714720303339_71807413_35476825_1927868_n.jp g

Nice looking boat.:cool:

Lumbergh
10-09-2011, 12:04 AM
+1.

Sweet SS.

03geetee
10-09-2011, 09:04 AM
Very cool pictures.

JTR

lukedeuce
10-09-2011, 10:46 AM
here's one from yesterday...

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/298234_728270338959_71807413_35583028_1526181052_n .jpg

'78 Starz & Stripes
10-09-2011, 11:14 AM
She looks good. Thank you for adding another S&S to the lake.

lukedeuce
01-15-2012, 06:04 PM
Anyone know diameter on pylon? Looking to order Fly High, don't have access to boat and forgot to take diameter dimension...

tph
01-15-2012, 09:20 PM
Anyone know diameter on pylon? Looking to order Fly High, don't have access to boat and forgot to take diameter dimension...

2 1/2 inches, I think.

thatsmrmastercraft
01-15-2012, 09:23 PM
2 1/2 inches, I think.

That is the dimension of my '77, for what it's worth.