PDA

View Full Version : Mallory Points or Breakerless Distribuitor?

Nvrgvup
07-12-2011, 09:07 PM
Thinking about replacing my aging Prestolite distributor. The Mallory Marine units look good. I am divided between the cheaper point system versus the breakerless unit. I still have points in my Prestolite and they seem to work fine. I keep them clean and adjusted and really have no problems. I am wondering the thoughts if it is really worth the extra about $100 to go breakerless? Are there are major advantages one way or another other than just solid state versus mechanical contact switching?

Thanks!!

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-12-2011, 09:35 PM
Do a electronic ignition conversion and don't look back, not need to buy a whole new distributor...

thatsmrmastercraft
07-12-2011, 11:33 PM
Unless there is an abnormal amount of shaft wear in your Prestolite distributor, I would go with the Pertronix electronic ignition conversion in your distributor. Much cheaper and will be way better than the original points. More volts = better starts and performance. With the money saved, buy the matching coil, new plug wires and a new set of plugs.

X-1Texas
07-12-2011, 11:56 PM
I did a electronic ignition conversion on my last boat (89 Supra w/351W) and it was great. Before I did it sometimes the boat would have a little trouble with hot starts. After the conversion it was perfect.

Bought my kit from the guys at Discount Inboard.

bturner2
07-13-2011, 06:42 AM
I did the Pentronix conversion on my 89 TriStar years back when I had the boat. Good money spent. One less thing to have to adjust/tinker with. Use the time for skiing instead.