PDA

View Full Version : 1988 prostar 190 running sporatic-HELP!!!

tessntatum
07-12-2011, 09:23 PM
!988 prostar 190 indmar 351-new rebuild last year. New carb this year. Runs fair when cold. When it gets hot it will stumble badly when trying to punch it to pull up a skier. Sometimes it stalls. Sporatic stalling. Seems to run ok at idle, as soon as I put it in gear it will almost die and stumble. My mechanic says it needs a distributor. Says the weights and springs are junk. I agreed to replace it with an electronic distributor from skimd. I felt this was an upgrade even if it does not solve the problem. I am very skeptical that this is the problem. Any suggestions??

thatsmrmastercraft
07-13-2011, 12:27 AM
Is your choke opening all the way open?
How well does the accelerator pump work?
Any vacuum leaks around the carb or intake manifold?
How about spark plugs, dist cap & rotor, fuel filter?
Sure could be the weights not returning to their idle position. Have you tried cleaning and lubricating?

tessntatum
07-13-2011, 11:53 AM
The distributor has been cleaned and lubed several times but still the problem

thatsmrmastercraft
07-13-2011, 12:04 PM
The distributor has been cleaned and lubed several times but still the problem

Is your choke opening all the way open?
How well does the accelerator pump work?
Any vacuum leaks around the carb or intake manifold?
How about spark plugs, dist cap & rotor, fuel filter?

Sure could be the weights not returning to their idle position. Have you tried cleaning and lubricating?

What about the rest?

tessntatum
07-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Carb is brand new. I am going to check the rest.

oldairboater
07-13-2011, 11:13 PM
Back to basics. Got to have fire. Got to have fuel. Got to have compression. Got to have exhaust. All of that has to happen in time. New rebuild last year. Did you change plugs? If so then they should be good. New wires? Is engine in time? If distributor is bad timing will be off. You replaced carb for what reason? Which carb? Like stated above does accelerator pump work? Is carb opening on all four barrels? Float level? I always suspect ignition first then fuel delivery.

loeweb
07-14-2011, 08:25 AM
Power Valve. Condensor coil?

tessntatum
07-17-2011, 03:05 PM
Fixed!! Replaced distributor with mallory electronic. Replaced coil and resistor. Runs like new!