PDA

View Full Version : Overheating at Idle

greci21
07-12-2011, 06:58 PM
Hello everyone. I have an 07 X-15 with an LY-6 engine it is overheating but only when idling. This problem started out a few years ago and was only happening sporadically, however now it is occurring every time I go out. I have replaced the impeller, back flushed the transmission cooler and removed the thermostat. Still overheating. Hopefully with all the people on this site someone has an idea and any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you,

gotta_ski
07-13-2011, 04:21 AM
There are many, many people on here with far more diagnostic experience than me, but since I'm first I'll throw in my two cents.

Is it really overheating or could you have a bad sensor? If its really getting too hot, I'd pull off the coolant hoses and make sure there aren't any blockages inside. I've found pieces of the impeller downstream from the raw water pump, all the way to the water distribution manifold over the thermostat. Also, I've seen overheating cause the hoses to separate internally, but I don't think that's common.

If the hoses are clear and your impeller is good, I'd suspect a small air leak. There was a recent thread where the guy had the seal in the back of the RWP go bad and didn't get enough suction. He got some great help from skidim. By the time you get done checking that someone else will be along that knows more.

greci21
07-13-2011, 09:07 AM
Thank you for the response. I will look into that when I get done work, but if there were and air leak I would assume that would also cause a water leak?

east tx skier
07-13-2011, 10:45 AM
Do you have a raw water strainer? Those are common sources of leaks if they are not sealed (put back together) correctly. A little lube on the strainer o-ring can be helpful.

greci21
07-13-2011, 12:19 PM
I'm not sure about the strainer but I will look..that sounds like it could very well be the problem..Thank you