PDA

View Full Version : Service Engine Soon!

mseller
07-12-2011, 02:31 PM
So I am getting this message on my 08 X45 and would like to try and do it myself. What exactly is done when a dealer "services" an engine? I just replaced my impeller last week so that will not need to be done.

I assume the following is done:
Change Oil and Oil Filter
Check/Change Spark Plugs?
Check/Change Fuel Filter?

agarabaghi
07-12-2011, 03:21 PM
check your manual should say the break down for "xxx" hour intervals.

mseller
07-12-2011, 03:53 PM
I don't have my manual its at the lake. I'm at 260 hours though if its generic...

agarabaghi
07-12-2011, 03:57 PM
mastercrafts site hsould have a manual if not indmar, i know that is where i found mine.

Thrall
07-12-2011, 04:32 PM
When is the last time it was "serviced" what did they do to it.
Typical annual or 50hr service:
Change engine oil/filter
Make sure spark arrestor is clean (airfilter)
ck sparkplugs, if they're good, don't replace
grease rudder and steering cable
impeller
Typical 100hr:
Change trans fluid and filter (although I'd go longer on the filter, but I change the fluid every season/50hrs).
Change fuel filter (in tank filter, would go a couple hundred hrs on this too unless there's a reason to change it, ie: new feul pump, bad fuel, debris in the tank or something)

mseller
07-12-2011, 09:56 PM
I bought it at 160 hours and don't really know what the PO did to it. I had it winterized this past winter(oil changed as well) and have put 100 hours on it this summer. Thanks for the advice

Thrall
07-13-2011, 06:37 PM
That said, I'd do everything I listed above and start fresh. (except maybe the fuel filter since they're so expensive, worthless unless your're under 1/4 tank of gas and within 100hr's you'll likely be pulling the module to replace the pump anyway) Then you can keep your own maint routine.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-13-2011, 07:26 PM
So I am getting this message on my 08 X45 and would like to try and do it myself. What exactly is done when a dealer "services" an engine? I just replaced my impeller last week so that will not need to be done.

I assume the following is done:
Change Oil and Oil Filter
Check/Change Spark Plugs?
Check/Change Fuel Filter?

Don't think it means it's time to do maintenance, that means you have a problem or codes stored in your ECM need to get it checked out by a dealer or shop that has diagnostic equipment its similar to the old check engine lights.

mseller
07-14-2011, 09:47 AM
Don't think it means it's time to do maintenance, that means you have a problem or codes stored in your ECM need to get it checked out by a dealer or shop that has diagnostic equipment its similar to the old check engine lights.

So "Service Engine Soon" is not a reminder?? I thought it was just like a car telling you to get your oil changed

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-14-2011, 08:32 PM
No, the service engine soon light is on you have problems, with your boat or car, you need to have it scanned for codes, it's not a maintenance reminder

mseller
07-15-2011, 05:30 PM
No, the service engine soon light is on you have problems, with your boat or car, you need to have it scanned for codes, it's not a maintenance reminder

ok fine bringing it to mechanic this weekend :(

Thrall
07-16-2011, 12:37 PM

You sure on the 08's?
They have all kinds of stoopid reminders in the Vdig system, like when to change you blinker fluid and stuff.:D
Typically that's correct jmccreight, but the new ones do have oil change/service reminders, so I'm not sure.

mseller, have you read the owners manual? It should say if that's a service reminder or a warning of impending doom.

moleson10
09-20-2012, 06:50 PM
Just looking for this information myself. The up arrow/down arrow thing is what my dealer told me to clear it too.

The post suggesting that the "Service Engine Soon" reminder means there's a problem/code is incorrect. There is a separate warning that says "Check Engine" that serves this function. It's a red screen showing an engine. The service engine screen is brown and shows a boat I believe.

Ole Miss Rebels
09-20-2012, 11:25 PM
who knows the up arrow-down arrow sequence exactly as it should be done?

treiter
09-21-2012, 01:11 AM
You can clear the reminder by pushing the arrow keys. Left, right, left, right.

bcboy
09-21-2012, 02:05 AM
up...down...up...down.
has to be in the settings reset mode.

treiter
09-21-2012, 10:01 AM
Whoops it was late when I wrote that. I meant up, down, up down which are the keys on the left and right. Thanks for clarifying.

mesquitethrasher
09-21-2012, 10:05 AM
Our boat shows this message too, though not each time. Once the message stayed on the display until i cleared it, and another time it just flashed up on the display then went off. It has done it twice in a 5 hour outing, and we have been out all day and it has not come on.
Seems very inconsistent. Oil and temp are normal. I plan on having the dealer check it out next month.

I could be off a little. I think my message says "check engine", not "service engine soon".

mikeg205
09-21-2012, 10:28 AM
Strange that this is unclear....'08 manual unclear on this. Is there a document that came with the boat explaining the warnings and alarms? My Benz has what they call FSS - Flexible Service System - or in other words I call F$$....Flexible Spending System. There's an A and a B message at different intervals.

Both are just interval maintenance and preventative maintenance that are expensive if dealer does the service.

I'd confirm the message and act accordingly... +1 on trying to clear it.... if it's a problem the alarm/warning will reappear right away....IMO

moleson10
09-21-2012, 03:29 PM
Our boat shows this message too, though not each time. Once the message stayed on the display until i cleared it, and another time it just flashed up on the display then went off. It has done it twice in a 5 hour outing, and we have been out all day and it has not come on.
Seems very inconsistent. Oil and temp are normal. I plan on having the dealer check it out next month.

I could be off a little. I think my message says "check engine", not "service engine soon".

The check engine warning is like the one in your car. It can be intermittent and usually has a code associated with it in the engine ECU. It may or may not be an indication of something wrong with the motor. Often its the result of a sensor going bad. It's shown in the 2008 manual.

The service engine soon it a reminder that regular maintenance is due, usually based on engine hours or miles. It does NOT mean that something is potentiallly wrong with your engine.