PDA

View Full Version : Grounding issues

mrhays9
07-12-2011, 11:44 AM
I was told by someone at mastercraft that I had a grounding issue. The issue causes perfect pass not to function properly and the alarm of a false error code.

I have been able to locate the ground sites under the dash and behind the perko but not on the transmission. I sanded and applied conductivity grease to these contacts. Can anyone provide a picture on the ground on the transmission or give other suggestions?

CantRepeat
07-12-2011, 12:27 PM
I was told by PP that you are better off running a 16 gage ground wire from the engine block to the PP master module ground in. Was told not to run it to the batter neg terminal.

I'll be running this wire tomorrow on my boat.

mrhays9
07-12-2011, 12:39 PM
I can't tell you how much I would appreciate you posting some pictures of this process. It would be much appreciated by me and my driver(wife). She says our relationship can't make it another weekend without PP.

CantRepeat
07-12-2011, 04:43 PM
I can't tell you how much I would appreciate you posting some pictures of this process. It would be much appreciated by me and my driver(wife). She says our relationship can't make it another weekend without PP.

I take some photos for ya.

JimN
07-12-2011, 05:11 PM
I was told by someone at mastercraft that I had a grounding issue. The issue causes perfect pass not to function properly and the alarm of a false error code.

I have been able to locate the ground sites under the dash and behind the perko but not on the transmission. I sanded and applied conductivity grease to these contacts. Can anyone provide a picture on the ground on the transmission or give other suggestions?

They told you to use 16ga? We were told to use 14ga or better.

MC- why don't you just eliminate the problems and use a 10ga wire to the dash, with a fuse block? Do the same with a 10ga black wire and a distribution block.

CantRepeat
07-12-2011, 05:40 PM
They told you to use 16ga? We were told to use 14ga or better.

MC- why don't you just eliminate the problems and use a 10ga wire to the dash, with a fuse block? Do the same with a 10ga black wire and a distribution block.

Well, 14 wont hurt that's for sure. I still have to make a napa run today after I finish my yard work.

Jerseydave
07-12-2011, 06:29 PM
I was told by PP that you are better off running a 16 gage ground wire from the engine block to the PP master module ground in. Was told not to run it to the batter neg terminal.

I'll be running this wire tomorrow on my boat.

PP told me the same thing last year (not sure what wire guage) after I complained about PP surging. So I did exactly that, ran a dedicated ground wire to the engine block and my surging is much less, not quite 100% perfect but better. Call PP and they will tell you which wire from the master module.

I still want Stargazer....someday!

CantRepeat
07-14-2011, 11:23 AM
This link is to the DBW pin outs. Pefect Pass DBW (http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/08_DBW_MC_Cable.doc)

You can use that doc to make sure you have the correct ground wire. It should be wire number 4 on you connector and I went with 14 gage wire.

This is what the connector looks like.

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/g2.jpg

After talking to PP I do not know why the ground wire is labeled ECM but that wire matches up with my ground wire.

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/g1.jpg

You could splice either side of the connector. I chose to do it on the boat side of the connector.

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/g3.jpg

I used the battery ground cable location to attach the new wire to the engine block.

Good luck on your upgrade.

mikey.145
07-14-2011, 01:40 PM
My perfect pass had some issues on my 07 X45. Long story short we re-grounded to a different spot on the engine, then what fixed the problem was "T" ing into the ground and status lines and re-grounding them to that ground bus bar under the dash.
PP tech support is great, also I downloaded the troubleshooting guide from the website which has wiring diagrams and different test you can perform. That's how I figured out it was a bad ground on my status line. Good luck!

tcmercil
07-23-2011, 03:21 PM
I'm having the same issue.... But trying to figure out what to do.... Should i Jump with the ground to something else?? I have gps lock / gauge works / but PP does not take over when reaching the speed....