PDA

View Full Version : '99 prostar first DIY oil change questions..

Locascio
07-12-2011, 09:47 AM
Hey, did some searching but came up with off the wall stuff. Here's a few question for my first DIY oil change (couldn't cough up $160 for the local boys to do it).

#1 - I am planning to pump the oil out through the dipstick tube, is this a good idea?

#2 - How do I get the filter out without dripping oil into the bilge?

#3 - Does anyone have the filter number for a '99 prostar with the LT-1?

#4 - How many quarts of oil do I need for this engine?

#5 - What are the "pitfalls" that I should try to avoid?

#6 - Reccomendations to make this easier on me would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks!

johny123
07-12-2011, 02:02 PM
#1 - through the drain hose is probably better but I do it through dipstick 2/3 of the time
#2 - put a couple of plastic bags under/around the filter as you unscrew and don't tip the filter once it comes loose

#6 - change oil after it has been warmed, drain oil, remove filter, fill new filter 1/2 - 2/3 before reinstalling, put new oil on the filter gasket, hand tighten

agarabaghi
07-12-2011, 02:06 PM
why do you fill the filter 1/2 - 2/3 before installing? I usually replace the filter (oil up the rubber seal) and then fill and let the oil settle. Check dipstick, then run engine till 160F, then check oil again and top off.

BrianM
07-12-2011, 02:22 PM
#1 - I am planning to pump the oil out through the dipstick tube, is this a good idea?

Run the boat until up to normal temperature then just drain the oil out through the drain hose at the bottom. I always change my oil at the end of a day of skiing. The warm oil will drain out the bottom in less than 10 minutes.

As said above a plastic bag around the filter. I put a bunch of paper towel in the bag to absorb the spilled oil.

I recommend a Napa Gold #1060 Filter or you can cross reference that number to another brand.

Technically it will take 5 quarts of oil but I always put a bit in the filter then four quarts in the pan check then top off as necessary. Never takes the complete 5.

Make sure the old filter gasket comes off with the old filter.

02ProstarSammyD
07-12-2011, 02:24 PM
You can. I usually run mine on the F O'L for a few min then drain the the hull plug. Comes out much faster when warm.
Wrap it up in a gallon freezer bag when removing

Nope but someone will

None. Its changing oil. Put in what you take out and save $ to later be spent on women/booze. Sounds like a win win

#6 - Reccomendations to make this easier on me would be GREATLY appreciated!!
Use the drain tube, remove filter, replace plug at end of tube, replace filter, fill, check levels, ski